Chevy Sonic Engineer John Buttermore Repeats SCCA National Championship
Back in May we told you about John Buttermore, the Lead Development Engineer on the Chevy Sonic program who also just happens to be the defending SCCA Touring 1 National Champion. Now make that two-time defending National Champion. Buttermore recently piloted his Corvette to his second consecutive Touring 1 National Championship during the SCCA runoffs at Road America.
The black number 52 Corvette in its Hoosier/Carbotech/Stoptech livery started on the pole, lead every lap around the four-mile, 14-turn track, and won by 21.611 seconds. En route to the victory, Buttermore, from Wixom, MI, beat out the 2007 National Champ, Andrew Aquilante, who was behind the wheel of a Mustang Boss 302. Third place went to Tim Hund in a Dodge Viper. Prior to winning his titles, Buttermore claimed second and third place honors at the runoffs.
Buttermore averaged 99.505mph while leading all 13 laps over the Corvette-heavy field.
Reflecting on his win Buttermore said?was pretty smooth?Everything went according to the plan that we had. We wanted to get out and see if we could break the draft and get away?I ran four or five laps at 100 percent and then put it back to 90 percent and cruised with it.”
You can check out all 28 of the SCCA runoff races at www.SpeedcastTV.com/scca
Here are the results from the SCCA Touring 1 National Championship Race:
- John M Buttermore, Chevrolet Corvette GS
- Andrew Aquilante, Ford Mustang Boss 302
- Tim Hund, Norfolk, Dodge Viper
- Oli Thordarson, Chevrolet Corvette C5
- Joe Aquilante, Chevrolet Corvette
- Tom Sloe, Chevrolet Corvette C5.
- Natha Waldbaum, Chevrolet Corvette C5
- Kyle Kelley, Chevrolet Corvette GS
- Michael Pettiford, Chevrolet Corvette C6
- Michael Waszak, Chevrolet Corvette C5
Content provided by CorvetteBlogger.com