When it comes to the approval of a car in the UK, no opinions hold as much weight with car buffs as those expressed by the guys at BBC’s Top Gear. Hell, their reviews often hold more weight with enthusiasts here in the States than the major U.S. buff books.
So, when we heard Top Gear had gotten their hands on the new Corvette Stingray, we couldn’t wait to get their feedback. As it turns out, their assessment of the C7 is pretty much in line with what U.S. auto writers have been saying about the car, which is further proof that Chevy really nailed it with this one.
Below are the top ten takeaways from Top Gear’s review of the new Corvette as tested by Tom Ford.
1. “Flat out, no caveats. The new Corvette can hold its head up with anything on the market. Yes, that’s on UK roads, and on the inside, too.”
2. “It works for mpg – we managed a very surprising 34.3 [imperial] mpg on a haul up the M6, mainly in seventh gear at 70 mph and 1400 rpm.”
3. “It works for power and torque: the C7 rips through its 460 bhp and 465 lb-ft with relish.”
4. “The brakes are top-notch, the stability control useful (if you have it switched on, but it’s not scary if you switch it off – seriously).”
5. That double-wishbone, transverse leaf rear suspension works exceptionally well.”
6. “[The interior is] a bit shouty, with lots of buttons and red leather in our test car, but it feels nicely made. And the double-scoop of the dash makes it feel special.”
7. “It’s […] still Corvette-practical with that hatchback and luggage space. Not quite Porsche quality, but getting there.”
8. “The styling is polarising – people seem to either love it or hate it in the UK, but you sure as hell can’t ignore it.”
9.“The ‘box can be a bit long, as can the clutch, and I slotted fourth instead of sixth a couple of times on my way down from the orbital seventh gear, but generally I just came away impressed.”
10. “The Corvette has come of age. It’s a damn fine sportscar.”
To read Top Gear’s full review of the 2014 Corvette click here.