C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Transverse Leaf Spring Removal for the Uninitiated

Old 06-13-2003, 03:53 PM
TankerVette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transverse Leaf Spring Removal for the Uninitiated

After installing the CB, am getting bold...

Wanting to put Energy Suspension bushings in the front control arms... (and beyond...)

1. Is there any way to get the lower control arm off without buying the GM spring compression tool?
2. What fear factor should I have in doing this mod? :eek: I have access to a press, so I am not too worried about getting the old bushings out. I am still afraid of the actual disassembly/assembly...

From a previous post, I have gotten the feeling that this is something I want to do...
Old 06-13-2003, 06:35 PM
mash557
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Transverse Leaf Spring Removal for the Uninitiated (TankerVette)

High dollar GM spring tool not needed. I changed my spring and after getting car on jack stands, removed front wheels, swaybar end links. Put floor jack under outer end of the lower control arm and jack up high enough to take the tension off the shock. Remove the lower shock mount (or entire shock) and slowly let the jack down. when the suspension stops moving, the tension should be off the spring. You might want to leave the jack in place with a little pressure on as you split the ball joints just to be safe, then let it down and you should be good to go. Assembly the reverse of disassembly. I definitely encourage the partaking of refreshing adult beverages to after spring tension is removed. :lol:
Old 06-13-2003, 06:40 PM
TankerVette
Racer

Default Re: Transverse Leaf Spring Removal for the Uninitiated (TankerVette)

many thanks, doesn't sound too bad, then.
Paitence and beer...
Old 06-14-2003, 10:44 AM
BIG JIM 54
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Transverse Leaf Spring Removal for the Uninitiated (mash557)

I've thought about this as well but other projects have priorities. I haven't done this yet as I said and I could be wrong but aren't the ball-joints riveted together and don't you have to grind the rivet heads off to split them then find bolts and nuts to put them back together? If so, it's more of a job than getting the spring tool, IMO.

BIG JIM
Old 06-14-2003, 10:57 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Re: Transverse Leaf Spring Removal for the Uninitiated (BIG JIM 54)

I've thought about this as well but other projects have priorities. I haven't done this yet as I said and I could be wrong but aren't the ball-joints riveted together and don't you have to grind the rivet heads off to split them then find bolts and nuts to put them back together? If so, it's more of a job than getting the spring tool, IMO.

BIG JIM
No grinding required. A puller makes easy work of it. :cheers:
Old 06-15-2003, 01:49 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: Transverse Leaf Spring Removal for the Uninitiated (AGENT 86)

You don't have to remove the ball joints from the control arms. you could try using the spring force to pull them out of the knuckle if you find a way to jack up the hub/spindle/knuckle.

Or, just get a puller tool, and pop em out. You can get the spring out without removing the lower ball joints... either by pulling it out underneath the control arm, or twisting it out from above. Either way, you'll need to get that car wayyy up in the air, especially if you don't have the z51 spring.
Old 06-15-2003, 08:37 PM
Raistlin
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Transverse Leaf Spring Removal for the Uninitiated (CentralCoaster)

I did poly bushing and lowering at the same time. you have to remove the control arms to do the bushings. I followed my haynes manual for the process on removing the lower control arms and spring. I had the car on jack stands, but needed to jack the front higher to remove the spring. I didn't remove the ball joints.

I just used a puller, drill and bench vise for the bushings.

Get notified of new replies

To Transverse Leaf Spring Removal for the Uninitiated

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transverse Leaf Spring Removal for the Uninitiated