C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any recommendations on changing from side to top post battery connections?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 02:55 AM
nwmaximus
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any recommendations on changing from side to top post battery connections?

Or do you think it makes any differance at all.I know top is easier to work with. :D :sleep:
Old 07-29-2003, 03:07 AM
standup
Drifting

Default Re: Any recommendations on changing from side to top post battery connections? (nwmaximus)

side posts????????........I'm an idiot willing to learn here.......all I've ever known about batteries is that the posts are on the top........but one cool thing I've found on my Vette is that I've got wing-nuts fixing the cables down.....that makes it much easier to work with............
Old 07-29-2003, 04:53 AM
Sting Raycin
Drifting

Default Re: Any recommendations on changing from side to top post battery connections? (nwmaximus)

You want to change from side-mount to top-post? I have always found the side-mount to be more trouble free than the top post. As long as the proper wrench is used the side mount terminals will last. I have never had a side-mount cause corrosion. I have heard of issues with AC delco batteries leaking out of the side post, but I have never had that problem.
Old 07-29-2003, 06:31 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Any recommendations on changing from side to top post battery connections? (Sting Raycin)

I have heard of issues with AC delco batteries leaking out of the side post, but I have never had that problem.

There was class action suite about the Delcos leaking. My old 92 did that... Really made a big mess. There were several years in the late 90's that were leak prone.
I have an Auto-zone battery that has both top and side posts pust a THREE year FREE replacement.
Old 07-29-2003, 07:11 AM
OkeeGuy
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Any recommendations on changing from side to top post battery connections? (bluevetteman)

i have a top post and have replaced the cable ends...
i have never been a fan of side posts personaly...
too fragile, the really suck when trying to jump start in the event that you have to do so...and in the case of our vette's battery location, top posts are much easier to get at...
Old 07-29-2003, 08:11 AM
desi
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do it. Switch to top. Side ones don't work very well, and I had one leak on me. Instead of just bolting the terminal on, get a quick disconnect. Works great. I bought mine for only $5 canadian. Now I have one in each friends/relatives car. :yesnod:
Old 07-29-2003, 08:48 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Any recommendations on changing from side to top post battery connections? (Sting Raycin)

You want to change from side-mount to top-post? I have always found the side-mount to be more trouble free than the top post. As long as the proper wrench is used the side mount terminals will last. ...
The side works great in our cars.
It is possible to overtighten & pull out the thread connector. Carry a top/side adapter in both hot rods. Side/top in both hot rods & use side. Changed to 9/16 bolts.

:cool:

Get notified of new replies

To Any recommendations on changing from side to top post battery connections?

Quick Reply: Any recommendations on changing from side to top post battery connections?