C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

rookie mistake of the day.. need some help

Old 01-28-2004, 10:34 PM
SBNova
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default rookie mistake of the day.. need some help

I removed the factory eprom from the memcal on my 165 ECM. I forgot to note its position prior to its removal, so I need some help. I know the "notch" points to the outside of the case, but I dont remember its position otherwise. It can be one of two ways. 1) mounted all the way at the outer edge of the memcal, with two spaces between it and the nearest limp chip, or 2) one space in from the outside edge of the memcal leaving one space between it and the nearest limp chip. I doubt it goes against the nearest limp chip but I suppose that would be option #3. Please help me out, I am feeling really stupid right now.....
Old 01-28-2004, 11:00 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Re: rookie mistake of the day.. need some help (SBNova)

It should be all the way to the outside end with the notch on the prom is. The two end pins on the prom should be in contact with the end two pin sockets of the MEMCAL socket.

How did you get the prom out of the carrier? Is it still in one peice?

Old 01-28-2004, 11:27 PM
SBNova
Burning Brakes

Default Re: rookie mistake of the day.. need some help (tjwong)

Thanks, your the greatest. It just pried up. I did it gently and it came out fine. It wasnt soldered. I planned to put a low profile zif in there but the legs on the zif are too short, and it barely makes contact no less hold itself in. Then I ended up in this delema anyway. What a day..
Old 01-29-2004, 03:18 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You may want to check with Digi-Key they have a myriad of different types of ZIF sockets. I am sure you can find one there. I have some none ZIF sockets with extra long legs on them and you could use one of them in that socket. It would be much easier to extract the prom from having one of those types of sockets in the MEMCAL package rather than what you have now.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:56 PM
-js-
Racer

FYI I also was able to remove mine from an 86 165.
However the chip would not seat properly after removing it. It would work some of the time until I soldered it in. Now I got a moates adapter for my custom chip.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:37 PM
SBNova
Burning Brakes

Default Re: rookie mistake of the day.. need some help (-js-)

I actually have a moates adapter, but I am having trouble programming an 29F040 chip. So in the meantime I wanted to stick a 27c256 in it so I could at least try out the new ecm. I just swapped in a 165, and I am having a few glitches. It starts and runs but at first I had a high idle and a check engine light so I guessed it was in limp mode, when I put pressure on the chip/zif- it idled down and the check engine light went off. I would like to know the code it threw to be sure, but my cable broke a terminal (winaldl), and I searched EVERYWHERE for my chilton book to look up codes and couldnt find it. So when I couldnt find the book I didnt even pull the code, I just got frustrated and called it a day.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:42 PM
Bluevette85
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have the chip positioned right in the Moates adapter?

The notch on the top of the chip faces away from the ZIF handle.

Also, to use the 256 chip you either double-stack the bin or start programming the chip at address 04000.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:36 AM
SBNova
Burning Brakes

Default Re: rookie mistake of the day.. need some help (Bluevette85)

Well, my moates adapter is the GP-3, which has the switch and is designed for a 30(?) pin 29F040 chip. So I wasnt sure if I could put a 28 pin chip in it. Thats why I treid the zif mounted in the factory memcal, which is where I had the problem. I wasnt sure which "slot" the zif/chip should go in, but I did have it oriented in the right direction. I have not tried it again yet, I will probably have time today.

Get notified of new replies

To rookie mistake of the day.. need some help

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: rookie mistake of the day.. need some help