Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Best Deal For Brake Pads/Rotors?

Old 03-19-2008, 10:51 PM
Dostovel
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Deal For Brake Pads/Rotors?

Well my brakes started squeeking and I took them into Midas for a pad change, I really just don't have the time right now. They told me they couldn't surface the rotors any more and I need all new pads and my fluid is dirty and will run me about $1100... uh I think not. So I will have a second opinion on the rotors and if need be then I will replace everything my damn self. But do you all know where I can get some good rotors and brake pads without spending a **** ton of money?
Old 03-19-2008, 10:54 PM
StealthLT4
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Someone here is selling OEM rotors for like $20 each. I went with Hawk HPS pads, which were $150, so that may not be the route you want to go.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:52 PM
Arkybill
Instructor

NAPA has the cheap rotors for about $25 and the good ones (OEM) for about $50. Pads cost what you want-Don't forget to burnish the rotors after you install everything (do a search on here for more info on that). It WILL make a huge difference in how it stops.

bill
Old 03-20-2008, 12:10 AM
c4 run
Instructor

also i have found that a place near my home in houston. corvettes of houston they have slotted and dimpled rotors for like 600. all four of them. i do not know if that is the route you want to take but i am thinking about it. right now i am in the process of upgrading to zo6 brakes. as for pads. well you get what you pay for. so just keep that in mind.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:15 AM
Motsiv2
Racer

On that same subject, are ceramic pads recomended over metallic pads? I really hate brake dust and have heard ceramic are pretty much dust free.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:17 AM
c4 run
Instructor

well the ceramic is more. but i too hate brake dust. am i willing to pay the extra more for no brake dust? i dont know. i mean i dont mind cleaning my rims. but that is just me
Old 03-20-2008, 02:22 PM
Iron Chef
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09
CI 8-9-10 Veteran

There is an ebay vendor called Thepartsladi. They sell GM drilled/slotted rotors and ceramic pads as a package for about $325 for the C5. I'd give them a look. I bet they have a similar package for a C4.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:38 PM
Rocket22
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What is the best way to bleed the brakes?

I will be doing this repair shortly. It has to be easier than the BMW and I am aquiring the parts. What is the best way to bleed the lines.
I bought mine from ebay at $50 for rotors and pads. They cannot be any worse than what is on there now!
Old 03-20-2008, 10:47 PM
Dostovel
Burning Brakes

Alright I found a decent set that is about 5 minutes from my house I guess I could go with.

http://tinyurl.com/33dw5n

I just need a DIY guide to do it myself.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:00 PM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Get a Mityvac Hand Vacuum pump and start in the front drivers side work your way around.It helps to have a helper filling the MC while you bleed till the fluid is clear. Best tool for bleeding made. Use synthectic fluid when you do it.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:35 PM
denvervet
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rocket22
I will be doing this repair shortly. It has to be easier than the BMW and I am aquiring the parts. What is the best way to bleed the lines.
I bought mine from ebay at $50 for rotors and pads. They cannot be any worse than what is on there now!
Speedbleader just put them on works great!! half turn one man job,
Old 03-20-2008, 11:44 PM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

sheesh, here we go again with the brake bleeding gadgets.

They say the Bench bleed is helpful.....I did this one time and it seemed like a waste of time.

You have to take the hoses off to install the line don't you?

The vacuum pump is pricey for a once every three or four year job

Gravity feed? This will take days when it should take 20 minutes.

Anyway. Get a coke bottle, and a piece of 2' vacuum hose from Kragen. Get the size hose that will just fit over your bleed nipple.

Make sure you have a nice closed end wrench for that nipple.

one person inside the car and the other at the Bleeder. Start at the RR Bleeder.

The Box end goes on the bleeder, then the hose on top of that, run the hose so that it goes down into the Coke bottle all the way to the bottom.

You yell, "Pump" to the person inside, they push the brake pedal......You "crack" open the bleeder valve just enough to let some fluid out then you quickly shut it again. Once it is shut you yell "release"

Repeat this process over and over. You are looking for a few things things.

1. you'll hear the bubbles as they squeeze through the small opening of the bleeder, This is why I said Crack open the bleeder, you don't want to open it up wide. To get a idea of what it sounds like, squeeze some spit between your teeth with your mouth closed.

2. you'll see the bubbles in the Coke bottle. Make sure the hose stays down in the bottle. You WANT to see the bubbles...this tells you that you almost done. If the hose is tight and the end is down into the old fluid in the bottle, how can you suck air back into the nipple?

3. You'll start to see new clear brake fluid coming into the bottle. This means that fluid from the MC has made it all the way to the caliper you are working on. If you keep the hose down into it, you'll see the clear fluid at the bottom as it forces the old brown stuff upwards.

The RR Caliper will be the worst one as it has the longest hose for the fluid to travel.

The pedal will feel exactly the same way until you finish the fourth caliper. This is the part where everyone gets messed up....they keep bleeding one or two calipers thinking that there should be a change yet the pedal continues to go all the way to the floor. Until you get the air out of the last caliper...the Front Left one... the pedal will not change and you'll have no breaks.

You must constantly be vigil about the fill level. If you let it run dry, you've screwed yourself and you have to start all over.......Completely start over.

Lastly, make sure you have a patient person inside. They must be wiling to sit for 20-30 minutes and be ready to follow commands of "Pump" then "Release" and understand that "Pump" means push the brake pedal at a steady slow rate and HOLD IT DOWN until you yell "Release" No exceptions

If they let go while you still have the bleeder valve open, there is a chance to re-introduce air into that system.

This is a 20-30 minute job.

If you ask me, the hardest part of that Job was getting the Plastic fill cups off of the old MC. That part was a real bugger as I didn't want to break them yet they were stuck.

Bleeding is a breeze compared to those cups.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:47 PM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

Shoes? You can go as high in price as you want. If you buy the pads from Kragen, they'll turn the Rotors for you for $11.

Kragen.com

Fronts

Wearever Silver Wearever Silver
Part Number: MKD294
For Your Vehicle

Vehicle: 1984 CHEVROLET CORVETTE
Engine: V8 5.7 Liter FI
Pad; Semi-Metallic; OE Replacement
See all vehicles this product fits

Pricing

Our Price: $21.48

Rears

Wearever Silver Wearever Silver
Part Number: MKD295
For Your Vehicle

Vehicle: 1984 CHEVROLET CORVETTE
Engine: V8 5.7 Liter FI
Pad; Semi-Metallic; OE Replacement
See all vehicles this product fits

Pricing

Our Price: $25.48

So now you have ~$55 in the pads and ~$44 getting the Rotors turned Some DOT 3 brake fluid and don't forget to add in the Saturday afternoon to do the job.

So that shop that quoted you had an old typewriter that skipped and added a "1" to the quote. It should have been $100 not $1100

Last edited by jhammons01; 03-20-2008 at 11:55 PM.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:21 AM
Dostovel
Burning Brakes

Sweet. They said my front rotors were at dangerously low micron levels and the backs weren't too far behind. My dad has never had the rotors changed when he owned it, just had them resurfaced. So I may be looking at new rotors anyway but I can still get away with a very doable price.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:29 AM
sknight88
Advanced

Ok, are you changing out the brake fluid? Or just under the assumption that doing the pads and rotors requires bleeding?
You can do your pads/rotors and not, repeat NOT have to bleed anything! If you never crack a bleeder screw, no air gets in. Remove the master cylinder cap, remove the caliper assembly, leaving the brake line attached. (dont let it dangle, support it somehow ok!) Your piston will be extended out dur to the worn pads. Using a large C-clamp, slowly push the piston back in till its fully seated. This allows the new pads to fit. Install your rotors, re-install the caliper with new pads, button it all up. When done, apply the brakes several times to take up the slack and your good to go! Note, as you push the pistons back in, the brake fluid level rises, so be prepared to catch it or have a spill.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:23 AM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

^^^All true
Old 03-21-2008, 11:32 AM
jrzvette
Safety Car

Location: The reason time exists is so everything doesn't happen at once
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dostovel
Sweet. They said my front rotors were at dangerously low micron levels and the backs weren't too far behind. My dad has never had the rotors changed when he owned it, just had them resurfaced. So I may be looking at new rotors anyway but I can still get away with a very doable price.
That's why they're telling you you need new rotors, there's a limit as to how many times they can be resurfaced. Each resurfacing removes material from the rotors, (makes them thinner). If you go beyond the manufacturer's recommendation the rotor could severely warp or even crack from the heat.

As for sknight88's recommendation, when you remove the MC cap check your fluid level. If it's high use a turkey baster to remove some before you push the pistons in. As you push the pistons back in you'll be forcing some fluid in the lines back into the MC. If your MC level is already topped off you'll have brake fluid all over the place. Not a pretty picture.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:53 AM
Digital Disaster
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron Chef
There is an ebay vendor called Thepartsladi. They sell GM drilled/slotted rotors and ceramic pads as a package for about $325 for the C5. I'd give them a look. I bet they have a similar package for a C4.
I bought GM Performace drilled/slotted rotors & DuraStop ceramic pads from Thepartsladi on ebay for a package price of around $400. The rotors have held up perfectly and the ceramic pads are almost completely dustless.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:46 PM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dostovel
Take that with a grain of salt. It is either over the minimum or under. There is no "close". Also try to understand the reasoning behind GM and their specs. Are they going to publish a spec that is anywhere near or close to the ACTUAL danger level?? With Brakes??? No WAY. Corporate lawyers are going to have minimum published specs well within the real world safety zone to avoid lawsuits.

So there is a minimum spec for the rotors. We know that we could probably get away with going a few Thousandths of an inch beyond that spec.......but look at who is measuring it.......could it be a guy that also sells Rotors?? He wouldn't give you a bum steer recommendation would he??? Naw, never....

Get notified of new replies

To Best Deal For Brake Pads/Rotors?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best Deal For Brake Pads/Rotors?