C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!!! I have curb rash on my HRE polished wheels

Old 10-04-2008, 04:46 PM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Louisville Ky NCM Lifetime Member 429 (Member Since 1993)
Received 261 Likes on 182 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '16

Default HELP!!!! I have curb rash on my HRE polished wheels

I was not paying enough attention and ran my rear wheel into a curb and got a significant amount of curb rash.

Can anyone give any advice as how to buff this out? The wheel has some significant "grinding" from hitting the curb. I don't know what to use to smooth this out.

Thanks for any help.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:15 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

I could give you some tips but would need to see the damage. Post a pic and be glad to take a look. If however if it's really deep and depending on the wheels finish you are far better off having a professional do the repair. Minor curb rash can be greatly diminished, but a deep gouge is entirely different. For the cost of one of those wheels you are better off getting it done at the mfg or some place that has the right tools and know how to make it right. It can be very tricky business based on the type of wheel finish........ Sorry about your misfortune cause it's really a shame to have a messed up wheel when the rest of the car is perfect....
Old 10-04-2008, 05:28 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

I have used a small hand file and sandpaper to remove curb rash on polished wheels, but if it is very deep scratches this will not work. After filing/sanding use a brush and clear laquer to restore the clear coat.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:23 PM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Louisville Ky NCM Lifetime Member 429 (Member Since 1993)
Received 261 Likes on 182 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '16

thanks for the advice. I may just send it back to HRE (to be safe).

Old 10-04-2008, 08:55 PM
St.Char
Melting Slicks

Received 282 Likes on 166 Posts

There are wheel repair companies out there, I had a local shop that specializes in repairs, fix mine, they did a great job
Old 10-04-2008, 08:59 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Good thing they are polished and not chrome! Find a local wheel repair guy and ask for some pics of work he's done before.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:13 PM
Doug at RSI
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HRE willl replace the hoops for a fee. its a few hundred bucks.
Old 10-05-2008, 02:20 AM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree. Send them in to HRE and let them fix it.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:47 AM
Mez
Safety Car

Location: Austin, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Houston, Dallas, Hong Kong, Elgin, etc.. Texas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

HRE will repair them but there are other options.

1. Repair yourself.
If the damage is not horrible, you can use a file, then 320 grit wet sandpaper, then finally Mothers aluminum polish to return it to like new. I've had a couple of minor scratches that this has worked well on.

2. Ship it to Wheel Technologies (or similar company since this seems to be a thriving industry). See their website http://www.wheeltechnologies.com/ I had my HRE center section done by them and they did a perfect job. I got it back withing 24 hours, too.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:58 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Mez
HRE will repair them but there are other options.

1. Repair yourself.
If the damage is not horrible, you can use a file, then 320 grit wet sandpaper, then finally Mothers aluminum polish to return it to like new. I've had a couple of minor scratches that this has worked well on.

2. Ship it to Wheel Technologies (or similar company since this seems to be a thriving industry). See their website http://www.wheeltechnologies.com/ I had my HRE center section done by them and they did a perfect job. I got it back withing 24 hours, too.
I've seen his wheels after the repairs, excellent job, can't tell them from new.

Wasn't there some DIY involved like dis-assembling the wheel to get that 24 hour service from Wheel Technologies?
Old 10-05-2008, 01:36 PM
Mark Ducati
Pro

Louisville isnt "toooo far" from Atlanta, GA... there's a place here called "Wheel Wizzards" and they actually work better than magic to bring the wheel rash back to life and glory.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:45 PM
coolcat
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RACE U
I was not paying enough attention and ran my rear wheel into a curb and got a significant amount of curb rash.
This happened to one of the wheels on my 03 coupe. I whent to my Chevy dealer and ordered a new wheel.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:52 PM
Mez
Safety Car

Location: Austin, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Houston, Dallas, Hong Kong, Elgin, etc.. Texas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by haljensen
I've seen his wheels after the repairs, excellent job, can't tell them from new.

Wasn't there some DIY involved like dis-assembling the wheel to get that 24 hour service from Wheel Technologies?
In my case, I did remove the center section but I believe their normal service is 24 hours turn around. But, of course, if there is chrome or more serious damage I think it will take longer.

Wheel Technology is one of a number of repair companies for wheels. I suggest checking around your area to find a franchise who is good.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:38 PM
scooter68
Advanced

Thats the beauty of three piece wheels- just replace the outer. i had one done via hre years ago- pretty quick and not too expensive as i recall

Get notified of new replies

To HELP!!!! I have curb rash on my HRE polished wheels

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP!!!! I have curb rash on my HRE polished wheels