C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Leaking T-10 Transmission

Old 07-22-2010, 07:41 AM
Pierre
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Leaking T-10 Transmission

I have a 62/63 first generation T-10 in my ’57. I have had this transmission for three years (3000 miles) and never had a problem, until recently. I am using non synthetic 89/90 GL5 gear lube.

I am now having a fluid leak at the input shaft. The transmission was taken out , the front retainer and bearing removed but I can’t find nothing obviously wrong at the input shaft, there are no front seals on these transmissions. It was carefully reassembled using sealer behind the bearing retainer. I reinstalled the transmission but I’m still having a smaller leak at the same location. I spoke to the vendor who sold me the transmission and he suggested I use 90/140W oil and a bearing with a built in shield??
Has anyone ever had similar problem with a T-10?
Thanks,
Pierre
Old 07-22-2010, 10:07 AM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,717 Likes on 803 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Did you use silicon sealer on the retainer cover bolts? That could be your problem. They do not go into a blind hole, but rather, extend into the case. I would look there for the source of your leak.

Last edited by Dan Hampton; 07-22-2010 at 10:10 AM.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:36 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,766 Likes on 1,669 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Dan Hampton
Did you use silicon sealer on the retainer cover bolts? That could be your problem. They do not go into a blind hole, but rather, extend into the case. I would look there for the source of your leak.
Yep, put sealant on the bolts for the front bearing retainer (oh ya, make sure the threads in the case are clean and dry first).

As far as I know, there is not such a thing as a front bearing with a seal for hese trannys (that 5th hole at the bottom is for oil drain back into the case).

If your alum T-10 has a snap ring to retain the front bearing on the input shaft, it's a 62-earlier. If it has a LEFT HAND THREADED gland nut, then it's a 63-later T-10.

Tom Parsons
Old 07-22-2010, 10:53 AM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,717 Likes on 803 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
Yep, put sealant on the bolts for the front bearing retainer (oh ya, make sure the threads in the case are clean and dry first).

As far as I know, there is not such a thing as a front bearing with a seal for hese trannys (that 5th hole at the bottom is for oil drain back into the case).

If your alum T-10 has a snap ring to retain the front bearing on the input shaft, it's a 62-earlier. If it has a LEFT HAND THREADED gland nut, then it's a 63-later T-10.

Tom Parsons
Good point on the gland nut, Tom. I couldn't remember the first year of its use on the T-10.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:01 PM
67L36Driver
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by DZAUTO

Tom Parsons
This has gotten this old plant engineer thinking. Dangerous I know.

I would expect an open ball bearing to let gear oil migrate out the end.

Why not sub in a bearing with a snap ring and shield or seal? Unless it is a non standard size, most 100, 200, 300 and 400 series bearings are available off the shelf with a combination of seals, shields and snap ring.

What size (O.D., I.D., Width) is the bearing? Do you have a mfgr's number?
Old 07-22-2010, 04:52 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

If the drain channel cast into the back side of the front bearing retainer is blocked, and/or the drainback hole in the front of the case it feeds is blocked, you'll eventually wind up with gear lube in the clutch.

Photos are a Muncie, but T-10's are the same design.
Attached Images   

Get notified of new replies

To Leaking T-10 Transmission

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Leaking T-10 Transmission