C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Employee Pricing

Old 09-07-2010, 03:50 PM
nikic6
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Employee Pricing

A friend of mine is a GM employee. He gave me a 12 character authorization number to purchase a GM car (Corvette) at his discount. What discount will I receive? Is the discount close to the invoice price? Will most Chevrolet dealers honor this discount?

Last edited by nikic6; 09-07-2010 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-07-2010, 04:47 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by nikic6
A friend of mine is a GM employee. He gave me a 12 character authorization number to purchase a GM car (Corvette) at his discount. What discount will I receive? Is the discount close to the invoice price? Will most Chevrolet dealers honor this discount?
Currently an employee can give you an authorization number that will entitle you to purchase a vehicle at the Supplier Pricing discount. If this is what your friend gave you then your discount will be roughly 10% below MSRP. Participation by dealers is optional and you should check with your dealer before you sign on the dotted line. Also, don't give them your number until you are ready to sign the contract. You wouldn't want a dishonest dealer trying to use the number out from under you. Just let them know that you have a supplier discount certificate number.

Make sure that your friend is not trying to give you his employee discount. It is subject to audit and verification and you could risk loosing the car, legal penalties and your friend could lose their job over it.

Last edited by talon90; 09-07-2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:50 PM
K9KUZ
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

My experience back in '07 was that most dealers will not honor that discount. (At that time "Employee" was around 15% and "Supplier" was about 13%.) Check with the dealers on this forum as I believe many will offer these types of discounts. And remember that Cash is king.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:11 PM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

If you're looking at a "leftover" 2010 (or even 2009) you should be able to get a better price than the supplier discount. Every once in a while GM will allow employees to give friends and family true employee pricing, but they haven't run that promo for a while.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:24 PM
Cool Rod
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by K9KUZ
My experience back in '07 was that most dealers will not honor that discount. (At that time "Employee" was around 15% and "Supplier" was about 13%.) Check with the dealers on this forum as I believe many will offer these types of discounts. And remember that Cash is king.
My experience exactly. Local dealers had no interest in it.

I dealt with MacMulkin Chevrolet and I could use the supplier discount and my GM Card points as well.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:41 PM
zrone90
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I purchased myh 08 for true employee pricing with a number someone from the Avalance forum gave me. For a short time GM allowed employee pricing for friends.
I was interested in three cars at local dealers and none had any problem taking the certificate. I also got zero percent financing.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:43 AM
Cool Rod
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi zrone.

Outstanding piece of hood art!
Old 09-08-2010, 05:40 PM
jksvet
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

I've had those supplier pricing offers before, but I've alway's been able to negotiate a better deal on my own. Now employee pricing is a different matter.

I can tell you that MacMulkin sold me mine at employee pricing without a number and let me use my GM card points.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:53 PM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cool Rod
My experience exactly. Local dealers had no interest in it.

I dealt with MacMulkin Chevrolet and I could use the supplier discount......
This was my exact situation as well. It was great as in 07, there was no negotiation that would come close to the suppliers agreement.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:05 PM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by K9KUZ
My experience also.

What gets me is that the vehicle I was looking at was found through the GM supplier pricing site - you would assume if it's on that site's inventory that the dealer is a part of that promotion/program. Bad assumption on my part, and I think that is deceptive on GM's part.

So, like others have said, make sure the dealership will honor the certificate BEFORE you get too far along or drive hundreds of miles just to be told no.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:30 PM
zrone90
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks cool rod
Old 09-08-2010, 09:06 PM
cartop2
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

Get back in touch with your friend and he should be able to give you a web site address that will let you look at the prices for the car with the discount you are getting.
The rules have changed. I bought a Traverse in early 2009 when the market was at its worst, and GM let me have a really good discount. When I bought my 2009 Corvette in May 2010, I was able to get a price from a dealer that was better than the discount offered at that time.
In May 2010, what I actually could have gotten was called preferred pricing. It is the same price the employee gets, but the employee also gets an additional amount that is like a rebate. A friend or supplier cannot get the extra cash. The amount they get varies by the kind of car it is. If an employee does something to attempt getting the employee money for you, it will probably result in loss of a job. Again, this is the way it was in May 2010. It may have changed again.

You can probably beat the discount price through the supporting dealers here on the Forum.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:10 PM
Greg G
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Try this site.
The faimly discount is what employees and family pay. The supplier discount is for friends.
https://www.gmfamilyfirst.com/ip-gme...o/tab_regional

Get notified of new replies

To Employee Pricing

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Employee Pricing