C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 DIY for adding AUX input using GM10-AUX, DO NOT NEED COR-HAR harness

Old 07-15-2011, 01:45 PM
ubnpast
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default C5 DIY for adding AUX input using GM10-AUX, DO NOT NEED COR-HAR harness

I installed a GM10-AUX audio converter in my 2001 z06, I looked around but it seems that others have deleted their pictures and nothing was complete (for what I needed anyway). You do not need to remove your carpets (I did because I just bought the car and like to clean EVERYTHING).

I did this because I cannot stand listening to static on the radio, I can now listen to pandora (online radio) off of my smart phone, you can use an ipod or mp3 player to play crystal clear music also.

If you car has a cd changer (then you already have the COR-HAR harness, you do not need to hardwire the GM10-AUX), the GM10-AUX audio converter plugs right into the COR-HAR harness.

This is for adding an aux input into your factory radio using the GM10-AUX, and not needing the COR-HAR (the harness for more of a plug and play installation and costs about $70), the total time is about 30-60 minutes depending on your skills (which should be basic), this is not hard at all and would have went by a lot quicker if I had this to follow.

I took the pictures after I installed it, your plugs may be located in different areas (due to the different years).

To start off, remove the fuse panel cover on the passenger side.

1. Locate the 3 & 4 pin connectors.

2. Cut the 3-pin plug off (leave enough wire on the plug if you need to reattach the wires.

3. Locate the 4-pin plug and either give it a tug or pry it off the base, cut 3 of the 4 wires (green w/white, brown w/white, black w/white), again leave enough wire sticking out of the plug incase you need to reattach it.

4. Cut the black plug off of the GM10-AUX unit (again leaving enough wire sticking out of the plug incase you need to reattach).

5. All you need to do is connect 6 wires to get this unit to work, they are as follows (PLEASE DOUBLE CHECK TO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE CORRECT COLORS:

GM10-AUX HARNESS:
Purple - Data
Gray - Ground
Orange - Power

Black - Audio Ground
White - Audio Right (+)
Red - Audio Left (+)

On the Corvette they are:

3-Pin Plug
Orange - Power
Black/White - Ground
Dark Green - Data

4-Pin plug
Green/White - Audio Right (+)
Brown/White - Audio Left (+)
Black/White - Audio Ground

Off of the Vettes 3 pin plug and the GM10-AUX:
Connect both orange (power) wires together
Connect the Vettes Dark Green with the units Purple (data)
Connect the Vettes Black/White with the units Gray (ground)

Now onto the 4-Pin plug:

Connect the Vettes Green/White with the units White wire (Audio Right)
Connect the Vettes Brown/White with the units Red wire (Audio Left)
Connect the Vettes Black/White with the units Black wire (Audio Ground)

After making sure all wires colors are correct, test the unit out, if you get a blinking CD-ICON image on your factory head unit:
A flashing "CD-ICON" means the AUX-input has not been properly registered into the radio. When you encounter this, all you need to do is:
*Turn ignition OFF
*Disconnect GM10-AUX from harness for 10sec.
*Re-connect GM10-AUX
*Turn ignition back ON
*A steady ON "cd-icon" should appear on the radio display

After you test it out, hide all the wires and make it look good (I am still waiting for my 3.5mm extension cable).

Last edited by ubnpast; 07-16-2011 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:16 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

WOW,, Great post and FANTASTIC Pics!

BC
Old 07-15-2011, 02:29 PM
siberian.mist
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 12 disc changer... where would i tap into so i could use the adapter and 3.5mm cord
Old 07-15-2011, 02:56 PM
ubnpast
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
WOW,, Great post and FANTASTIC Pics!

BC
Thanks!

Originally Posted by siberian.mist
i have a 12 disc changer... where would i tap into so i could use the adapter and 3.5mm cord
You would have to unplug your changer and plug this into the end of the cable.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:03 PM
siberian.mist
Advanced

is there anyway to have both operable at the same time or no since there is only 1 AUX? not to mention id have to run that 3.5mm adapter from the back cargo up to where my mp3/ipod/etc would be
Old 07-15-2011, 03:11 PM
ubnpast
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by siberian.mist
is there anyway to have both operable at the same time or no since there is only 1 AUX? not to mention id have to run that 3.5mm adapter from the back cargo up to where my mp3/ipod/etc would be
Im not sure maybe with a few switches.. Anything is possible just depends on how much work you want to put in.

Why not just put those cds on your mp3 player?
Old 07-15-2011, 03:27 PM
siberian.mist
Advanced

im considering it. it would be nice to have that cargo space back, cant put much in there with the delicate and small 12disc changer in the largest cargo spot... makes no sense. if only that changer would play data cds...
Old 07-16-2011, 02:10 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Nice, and you made it simple to follow...be sure to post this in the audio section as well. regarding your last pic, is that still in the engine compartment...can't make out the location...thanks

never mind, I just reread it...you are working in the pass footwell only

Last edited by $$$frumnuttin'; 07-16-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:13 PM
ubnpast
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
Nice, and you made it simple to follow...be sure to post this in the audio section as well. regarding your last pic, is that still in the engine compartment...can't make out the location...thanks
Will do, thanks.

Last pic is on my pass floor (carpets removed, just bought car and like to clean everything ), right in front of the fuse box.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:20 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

gonna add this to the C5 DIY sticky
Old 07-16-2011, 03:37 PM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

Received 116 Likes on 76 Posts

Pretty cool, I've been wanting a 3.5mm input. Is that the only way to hook this to a Z06 with no CD changer, to cut plugs in the kickpanel? You can't just plug the thing in somewhere?

Edit: I re-read the message about the COR-HAR being more plug-n-play....

Last edited by Chris Stewart; 07-16-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:06 PM
ivan84gt
Advanced

The GM10 is easy but i find it ridiculous to pay $80+ bucks for an auxiliary box. The sell it for that because there isn't any competition.

For anyone who doesn't mind doing some easy electronic work here is an alternative that costs < $10:

http://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-ele...t-adapter.html

This guy does an excellent job at showing all steps, this was done for a Camaro but the corvette radio is exactly the same I did it to both my 99 Camaro and my 04 Z06.

Skip to my post (#434) where I also show how to add this to the face of the HU making it look factory like. Some patience and a bit of work and it will look very professional.

Here is the link to my post with all the pictures:
http://ls1tech.com/forums/16119334-post434.html
Old 03-25-2012, 12:11 PM
ubnpast
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ivan84gt
The GM10 is easy but i find it ridiculous to pay $80+ bucks for an auxiliary box. The sell it for that because there isn't any competition.

For anyone who doesn't mind doing some easy electronic work here is an alternative that costs < $10:

http://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-ele...t-adapter.html

This guy does an excellent job at showing all steps, this was done for a Camaro but the corvette radio is exactly the same I did it to both my 99 Camaro and my 04 Z06.

Skip to my post (#434) where I also show how to add this to the face of the HU making it look factory like. Some patience and a bit of work and it will look very professional.

Here is the link to my post with all the pictures:
http://ls1tech.com/forums/16119334-post434.html

Doesnt look too hard to do, the gm10aux box is only $65, alot of guys wouldnt want to go into their headunit, I did that once for my rsx, opened it up and almost needed a magnifying glass to see the points on the board.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:19 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by ubnpast
Doesnt look too hard to do, the gm10aux box is only $65, alot of guys wouldnt want to go into their headunit, I did that once for my rsx, opened it up and almost needed a magnifying glass to see the points on the board.
Cool alternative!
Old 03-27-2012, 01:55 PM
ivan84gt
Advanced

Originally Posted by ubnpast
True but maybe its the engineer in me but I like it even if just out of curiosity. Besides i hate to pay 60 bucks for something made in china for a buck. I know some people here are intimidated about going into their HU but truth is corvettes HU aren't anything special, every Camaro, Tahoe, suburban and other GM's from the mid 90's to early 2000's have the same HU. I figured if I screw it up the local junk yard will have it for 30 bucks.

I used to have a wired FM modulator and that was horrible, created lots of random static. Would not recommend this to anyone, do the GM10 or splice into the HU.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:58 AM
VJD2
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

I planning on doing this mod but I am at a cross road as to putting the aux port in the face of the radio or locating it in the ash tray or center console.

When I took the face of the radio off I noticed two things. One is that I'd have to cut off the corner of the circuit board to fit the port like described in the DIY and wanted to make sure there aren't any circuits in this corner. Two is there is a metal plate on the back of the faceplate I'd have to drill through. I'm not sure if that would cause any interference either. I've attached a picture so you can see.

Do you think it is safe to cut the circuit board and drill through the metal plate or should I go the safer route and relocate it somewhere in the center console?

Old 04-08-2012, 04:38 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Hmmmmm,,,, It almost looks like you can just about use that hole in the board thats already there..
I wonder if you can fit a small jack housing between the plate and the board. Some of those jacks housings mount directly to the board. All it would take is four small holes in the board and one in the front panel/

BC

Get notified of new replies

To C5 DIY for adding AUX input using GM10-AUX, DO NOT NEED COR-HAR harness

Old 04-08-2012, 07:13 PM
ivan84gt
Advanced

Originally Posted by VJD2
I planning on doing this mod but I am at a cross road as to putting the aux port in the face of the radio or locating it in the ash tray or center console.

When I took the face of the radio off I noticed two things. One is that I'd have to cut off the corner of the circuit board to fit the port like described in the DIY and wanted to make sure there aren't any circuits in this corner. Two is there is a metal plate on the back of the faceplate I'd have to drill through. I'm not sure if that would cause any interference either. I've attached a picture so you can see.

Do you think it is safe to cut the circuit board and drill through the metal plate or should I go the safer route and relocate it somewhere in the center console?

I didn't cut the board, the jack I used fit nicely between the face and the board. What I did do was sand about 1/16" from the other side of the board because it was a very tight fit but I don't think that was necessary. The board helps keep the connect in its place so i didn't have to put the nut on the connector head. As for the thin metal sheet, I just cut a small piece off it where the jack will go, didn't really see the purpose of that piece of metal but i left it there minus the corner I cut.

BTW make sure you mark the limits of the bezel, when I did this on my Camaro I didn't pay too much attention to the bezel and the jack ended up a bit too close, was fine but not what I wanted. On the corvette I took my time identifying where to best put the hole and it came out looking factory like.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:31 PM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

If I may ask, ivan84gt, where did you install the aux jack? On the radio or somewhere on the console? I'm fixing to do mine and would like some ideas on where it might look like a factory installed aux jack. I've done it in the past on my work vehicle and that one looks like a factory install but not sure where to put it on the Vette. Would you have any pics of it? That would be awesome. Thanks.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:56 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

THIS POST JUST KEEPS GETTING BETTER AND BETTER!!!!!!!

I will do this project this winter. THANK YOU for all your outstanding pictures and directions. You hit it out of the park!

Bill Curlee

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C5 DIY for adding AUX input using GM10-AUX, DO NOT NEED COR-HAR harness