C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

McLeod RXT vs. Mantic ER2 clutches??

Old 04-04-2012, 08:54 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default McLeod RXT vs. Mantic ER2 clutches??

Not sure why, but I originally posted this in the General section with no luck, so figured it belonged here anyway
________________________________________ ____________________

I am looking for some feedback on the following 2 clutches:

- McLeod RXT Twin Street Clutch
- Mantic ER2 Single Street Clutch

I am looking at these 2 clutches only due the pricing and shops I can get them from locally...

I was sold on the McLeod RXT b/c the shop the car is at sells these and wanted to keep it simple with their in house parts, what theyre comfortable installing. Ive read good reviews on the forum, but recently someone PM'd me that they were not impressed with the RXT. Also, has anyone used their stock flywheel with the RXT, how did it hold up/feel?

My other option was the Mantic ER2 as the price is somewhat cheaper & includes a flywheel... I dont think the McLeod does. I have only seen good reviews on the Mantic so far but dont know if anyone has logged a lot of miles and racing on the ER2??

My driving style is pretty aggressive and dont mind a somewhat stiff pedal. Right now I have the clutch spring removed and it doesnt bother me. How do both these clutch pedals feel?
I am also making around 500rwhp and dont plan to do a lot more than that in the short term... Long term maybe a 150 n2o shot.
Mostly street driven so definitely not looking for an ON/OFF clutch, but am looking for something that grabs decent and can take the abuse of maybe 4 to 5 days of drag racing a year, at most.

I appreciate any reviews or opinions you guys can give me!

Thx - Chris
Old 04-04-2012, 10:09 PM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts

Haven't used the Mantic so can't comment on it. The RXT is the best clutch I have owned in my 2 corvettes, I can pound on it for 45 minutes under full boost at triple digit speeds under boost in the hills in Texas, then cut 1.5 or better 60ft's every single pass I make in the car and it never skips a beat. Still on the stock rearend, tranny, etc and I attribute a lot of it to how well the RXT will slip.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:58 PM
0Brian@RPT
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Katech Clutches are extremely well built and drive better than the RXT. I have had customers prefer the Katech Clutches and they are built to the hilt.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:45 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,081 Likes on 655 Posts

Your local to us, stop in and you can get a feel for the Mantic single, we are installing a couple this week. I dont think you will look any farther afterwards.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:02 PM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Tech Contributor
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

I find it hard to justify $1600 for a stock clutch with a different flyhweel so that put the LS9 variety out for me.

I too was torn between the McCleod and the Mantic line and ultimately went with the Mantic double after talking with Chris and Doug@ECS a few different times over the course of a month. Considering ECS does A LOT of drag racing and they use this clutch almost exclusively in their builds, I feel good about putting it in my relatively tame 500whp(150 shot in the future) build.

They swear it will slip like stock and hold up the dragstrip abuse so I'm very excited to get it installed and have my own impressions.

I did a thread about the 3 clutches you mentioned about a month ago and got some interesting information from others experiences.

Good luck and keep us posted with what you decide.

P.S. my Mantic is scheduled to arrive today so I'm anxious to see it in person as I hear the craftsmanship is second to none
Old 04-05-2012, 12:11 PM
66biskwik
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Mcloud dual disk and it can be real temperamental. Especially when it's cold. Will hold the HP though.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:27 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the replies guys... Doug if I can find sometime this week ill try to swing by!

TTT if anyone else got something to add!?
Old 04-09-2012, 08:36 AM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Tech Contributor
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

I can't remember, did you see pics of the Mantic unit Chris? It arrived earlier last week and it looks really stout.
If not, I'll link the pictures here but I don't want to fill up your thread if you've already seen them. I posted them in another thread I had started.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:20 AM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Justinjor
I can't remember, did you see pics of the Mantic unit Chris? It arrived earlier last week and it looks really stout.
If not, I'll link the pictures here but I don't want to fill up your thread if you've already seen them. I posted them in another thread I had started.
I'll track your other thread down! Thanks dude!

Get notified of new replies

To McLeod RXT vs. Mantic ER2 clutches??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: McLeod RXT vs. Mantic ER2 clutches??