Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake duct installation on C6 base coupe

Old 05-16-2012, 07:20 PM
V4kerker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Brake duct installation on C6 base coupe

I just Installed my brake duct system on my C6 base coupe. I uploaded a photo album with some notes to help out any C6 base coupe guys that are thinking about adding a brake duct system.
I took some video also i hope to make a youtube clip, but this photo and video editing takes time.
I think it's quicker to just buy a Z06 but the wife won't let me buy one so I'm building my wanna be C6 into a Z06 one small slow step at a time.

Key note When you bolt the Brake duct to the frame rail mount it as low as you can. You'll have wheel rub at full steering lock when the suspension is fully unloaded.
Anybody else have this problem?

This install took about 4-5 hours.
Link to album http://forums.corvetteforum.com/album.php?albumid=26128

Last edited by V4kerker; 05-16-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:51 PM
CONE RACER
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice job showing the install tricks. What size wheel / width tire are you running under the nose?
Old 05-23-2012, 10:20 PM
V4kerker
Racer

Originally Posted by CONE RACER
Nice job showing the install tricks. What size wheel / width tire are you running under the nose?
Thanks Cone Racer. The right side went even quicker.I just unbolted the bottom of the fender skirt pulled it back and pulled out the stock duct and cut the hole while the skirt was in place.
I'm running 245/40-18 front stock setup for a 2007 base coupe. No spacers either.
Just signed up for TrackDaze event at VIR June 9,10 and hope to see what my rotor temps will be.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:52 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by V4kerker
Thanks Cone Racer. The right side went even quicker.I just unbolted the bottom of the fender skirt pulled it back and pulled out the stock duct and cut the hole while the skirt was in place.
I'm running 245/40-18 front stock setup for a 2007 base coupe. No spacers either.
Just signed up for TrackDaze event at VIR June 9,10 and hope to see what my rotor temps will be.
I'll be at that event also. I'll be in a black C6Z. Tow vehicle is a black Sierra Denali.
See ya there!

Jim
Old 05-24-2012, 02:06 PM
Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
Pro

Key note When you bolt the Brake duct to the frame rail mount it as low as you can. You'll have wheel rub at full steering lock when the suspension is fully unloaded.
Anybody else have this problem?
I had the same problem and now have "spare" mounting holes should I need them.

I run 10" wheels in front with 295s and rubbed with the suspension loaded at full lock until I remounted.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:16 PM
V4kerker
Racer

Originally Posted by Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
I had the same problem and now have "spare" mounting holes should I need them.

I run 10" wheels in front with 295s and rubbed with the suspension loaded at full lock until I remounted.
Grabbed_Crow_Mobe thats alot of wheel up front I'm running my stoke wheels 8".
Grabbed_Crow_Mobe do you have any rotor temps for before and after your brake duct install? I waiting to see what the difference will be. I've been has high as 480 after 20-25 minute session running group 1.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:33 PM
Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
Pro

Grabbed_Crow_Mobe thats alot of wheel up front I'm running my stoke wheels 8".
Grabbed_Crow_Mobe do you have any rotor temps for before and after your brake duct install? I waiting to see what the difference will be. I've been has high as 480 after 20-25 minute session running group 1.
I don’t have any good before/after numbers. When I first started doing HPDEs, I ran with a completely stock setup (I have a 2005 Z51). Late in one particular day my brakes really started to fade and I got spooked a few times entering the corners.

After that event I changed just about everything with my brake setup except calipers: SS Brake lines, fluid, rotors, pads, ducting/heat shielding and speed bleeders. Haven’t had a fading problem since.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:10 PM
V4kerker
Racer

Originally Posted by Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
I don’t have any good before/after numbers. When I first started doing HPDEs, I ran with a completely stock setup (I have a 2005 Z51). Late in one particular day my brakes really started to fade and I got spooked a few times entering the corners.

After that event I changed just about everything with my brake setup except calipers: SS Brake lines, fluid, rotors, pads, ducting/heat shielding and speed bleeders. Haven’t had a fading problem since.
Good to hear that you haven't had any brake fade since your brake upgrades.
I knew what you mean about getting spooked. Happened to me at my second event boiled the fluid Now I always flush flush flush the brake fluid before a track weekend. I've never had brake fade that I know of.
I think one thing that has helped me with my braking is just using the brakes a lot harder for a shorter amount of time versus riding the brakes hard for a longer time.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:50 PM
steve J06
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the post and pictures. I'll be doing mine soon too. last event temps were over 800F on rotor and cooked the pads.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:29 PM
V4kerker
Racer

Default Up date

Here's a up date to my brake duct install. I just did a Track Daze event at VIR June 9th and 10th.
This was my 2nd time running HPDE1. My brake rotor temps on my 4th run with a outside air temp of 93F were front rotors 420F and the rear rotors 395. I'm guessing I was running 8 or 9/10. FYI My hottest ngine oil temp was almost 290F and 19PSIG oil pressure at idle when I got back to the pits.
I don't have a good base line temp for rotor temps at VIR except for 350F on front rotors with a outside air temp of 60F. This was my first time at VIR running group 1 at 6/10 I'm guessing.
At Summit point main in April with a outside air temp of 75F the front rotors were 490F and the rears 440F running 8/10 or 9/10 I'm guessing.

Fyi I had new brake pads on all 4 corners and stock rotors still and I'm running my car harder each time I go out for a new HPDE1 event .
Overall I think the brake duct system helped.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:27 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 78 Posts

Great writeup.

Are the ducts, tubing, clamps, and spindle sold as a complete kit, or do you need to piece together multiple products? Where did you buy everything from?
Old 06-29-2012, 12:26 AM
V4kerker
Racer

Originally Posted by skyavonee
Great writeup.

Are the ducts, tubing, clamps, and spindle sold as a complete kit, or do you need to piece together multiple products? Where did you buy everything from?
skyavonee here's a link to where I bought my brake duct items.
http://www.lapponline.com/index.php?...ex&cPath=89_90
I bought the Z06 inlet ducts and C5/C6 brake duct touring kit. It came with all the hardware you need to install. Look in my photo album and I have a picture of all the items I got.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake duct installation on C6 base coupe

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake duct installation on C6 base coupe