C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to replace side marker bulbs?

Old 04-20-2009, 10:28 PM
SunsetStroker
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default how to replace side marker bulbs?

Trying to put leds in my side markers but cant figure out how to get to them. Everything else was easy!
Old 04-20-2009, 10:34 PM
6SPDRCR
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are held in place by two plastic ***** on either side of the marker. You need to take off the inner fender liners to get to them.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:55 PM
SunsetStroker
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a pain especially with my broken hand!
Old 04-21-2009, 02:03 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 913 Likes on 608 Posts

Back ones are eary to get to, just take out the outer rear tail lamps.

The front ones are a PITA. Same with replacing anything in your headlamp. The inner wheel splash cover has to come out, which means the wheels have to come off...
Old 02-09-2013, 04:16 PM
CSexy06VY
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah the fronts have those damn plastic rivets! I replaces them with ones that push in, much easier and the wheel does t need to come off!
The following users liked this post:
Z5108 (02-02-2016)
Old 02-09-2013, 04:39 PM
vig1116
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i'm pretty sure putting led's in the side markers are pointless cause the lenses are colored, unless of course you have the clear side markers. If that's the case then disregard....
Old 02-09-2013, 04:49 PM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

Old 02-09-2013, 06:18 PM
CSexy06VY
Pro

Originally Posted by vig1116
i'm pretty sure putting led's in the side markers are pointless cause the lenses are colored, unless of course you have the clear side markers. If that's the case then disregard....
LEDs are brighter and use less power, doesn't matter if the lens is colored or not, I have smoked ones and they look awesome day or night when lit you can see them much brighter.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:29 PM
vig1116
Drifting

Originally Posted by CSexy06VY
LEDs are brighter and use less power, doesn't matter if the lens is colored or not, I have smoked ones and they look awesome day or night when lit you can see them much brighter.
brighter side marker lights? and less power?? Really?? How much power are the regular bulbs taking, and what are you doing with all that power the led's are saving you? To each their own, but unless they are clear the difference is minimal IMO..
Old 02-09-2013, 06:33 PM
ZO ZICK
Team Owner

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

They are time consuming, but with a broken hand, dont think you can get through the tail lights
Old 02-09-2013, 06:40 PM
CSexy06VY
Pro

brighter side marker lights? and less power?? Really?? How much power are the regular bulbs taking, and what are you doing with all that power the led's are saving you? To each their own, but unless they are clear the difference is minimal IMO..
Reducing the draw of power is actually beneficial to your charging system brother, and lets see ah tvs and flashlights and damn near everything else is beginning to use LEDs to light this and that, including automobiles. Funny why the new vette will have them. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, just throwing facts out there, If your happy with what you got that's awesome, I personally don't think it's that hard or difficult to change a few bulbs to make me more visible when I'm driving, not to mention if you know where to buy them the cost is the same or less than standard bulbs
Old 02-09-2013, 06:41 PM
CSexy06VY
Pro

Originally Posted by ZO ZICK
They are time consuming, but with a broken hand, dont think you can get through the tail lights
Lol then use the other hand! : P
Old 02-09-2013, 06:57 PM
vig1116
Drifting

Reducing the draw of power is actually beneficial to your charging system brother, and lets see ah tvs and flashlights and damn near everything else is beginning to use LEDs to light this and that, including automobiles. Funny why the new vette will have them. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, just throwing facts out there, If your happy with what you got that's awesome, I personally don't think it's that hard or difficult to change a few bulbs to make me more visible when I'm driving, not to mention if you know where to buy them the cost is the same or less than standard bulbs
like i said, to each their own, but let's be real. You're talking 13-14 watts for all 4 stock bulbs, and 4-6 watts for the 4 led's. So 8 watts savings were talking here....
Old 02-09-2013, 07:01 PM
vig1116
Drifting

OP, If that's your car in the avatar tint those side markers while they're off!! It's a fun DIY mod and they'll look great. I did 3 coats lens tint and 3 or 4 coats clear coat, came out perfect and costs about $175 less than buying tinted ones.... Just make sure you wet sand them before you start.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:34 PM
CSexy06VY
Pro

like i said, to each their own, but let's be real. You're talking 13-14 watts for all 4 stock bulbs, and 4-6 watts for the 4 led's. So 8 watts savings were talking here....
Lol do you have something against led technology? It adds up when you change tail lights, license plate lights, side markers, etc. not to mention the life span of an led is typically a lot longer than "old" bulbs that burn yellow. But hey I'm just saying, but I guarantee all autos will be rockin LEDs
Old 02-09-2013, 07:43 PM
vig1116
Drifting

Lol do you have something against led technology? It adds up when you change tail lights, license plate lights, side markers, etc. not to mention the life span of an led is typically a lot longer than "old" bulbs that burn yellow. But hey I'm just saying, but I guarantee all autos will be rockin LEDs
no no no, maybe i'm coming across wrong. I love LED's, i changed all mine already and they are awesome. The only ones i didn't change are the side marker because of the reasons i stated before.

every other bulb you can see a significant difference except the side markers, IMO..
Old 02-09-2013, 08:10 PM
CSexy06VY
Pro

Oh ok gotcha sorry it seemed you were coming across as if you were against LEDs, lol. I usually use the colored bulbs with either clear or smoked markers, but I find the LEDs to light up better, the colored standard bulbs burn out too quick and aren't that bright. But I've had good results with stock markers too. Some cars are definitely a pita to get to them and LEDs tend to last longer, I think it's just become a standard thing for me to change all the bulbs, maybe it's OCD or maybe I'm just bored an need something to change on the damn car! Lol

Get notified of new replies

To how to replace side marker bulbs?

Old 02-09-2013, 09:11 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

For the fronts, turn the wheel all the way in, pop the rivets/remove the screws holding the leading edge of the fender liner and then pull it back.

I tie mine off to the wheel to hold it open while I change a lamp, and with one hand, you'll probably have to do this too.

Then it's pretty easy to reach in and twist the socket/lamp out. Access through the outer tail-light is even easier.

One caveat with some LED's, make sure they are held in tightly by the socket. I had some that fell out inside the light and I had to remove the light from the fender to shake the LED out.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:33 AM
turbod
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by **** Jockey
For the fronts, turn the wheel all the way in, pop the rivets/remove the screws holding the leading edge of the fender liner and then pull it back.

I tie mine off to the wheel to hold it open while I change a lamp, and with one hand, you'll probably have to do this too.

Then it's pretty easy to reach in and twist the socket/lamp out. Access through the outer tail-light is even easier.

One caveat with some LED's, make sure they are held in tightly by the socket. I had some that fell out inside the light and I had to remove the light from the fender to shake the LED out.
Wheel well liners don't have to come out!
Old 02-10-2013, 10:16 AM
ddanis60
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by turbod
Wheel well liners don't have to come out!
very easy task to do the front, and even easier for the rears. its already been said, but just turn the wheel, take 5 screws out (i think 5) in a vertical row along the outside edge of the liner right in front of the wheel, pop a few rivets, and then about 9.6 seconds to replace the bulb or remove the marker housing all together. i dont even think i popped any of the rivets out actually. literally a 5 minute job per front corner, and a 3 minute per rear. only problem is that with a broken hand, what are you going to hold your beer with? might take 6 minutes, having to switch between the two hope this helps!

oh and just fyi.. i also replaced all bulbs with leds inside and out, and the side markers are the only ones that i CANT see a diference. but thats just me.

Last edited by ddanis60; 02-10-2013 at 10:18 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how to replace side marker bulbs?