Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] POLL: Valve Problems

Old 05-05-2013, 06:45 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14
Default POLL: Valve Problems

Wish I could or knew how to make a poll. Probably need to pay...

Either way... I say we should create 1 damn thread about the discussion of the exhaust valve problem in the LS7 and make it a sticky. I don't know about anyone else but in my opinion there are way too many concurrent never ending threads about this issue and its mucking up this forum to be honest.

Anyone else agree?
Old 05-05-2013, 06:48 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

I tried that myself and it went as far as 2 weeks at best. Just too many variables to capture every LS7. On a positive note, POLLS are free. When you make a thread, there should be an aread to check that says "POLL". If you leave it unchecked, your thread will be posted as a simple thread, without a set of poll questions.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:50 PM
icrashevos
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a sidenote for the forum, the moderators here don't listen to feedback when we ask for a thread to be stickied. Good luck with getting anything stickied on this forum lol
Old 05-05-2013, 06:53 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC
I tried that myself and it went as far as 2 weeks at best. Just too many variables to capture every LS7. On a positive note, POLLS are free. When you make a thread, there should be an aread to check that says "POLL". If you leave it unchecked, your thread will be posted as a simple thread, without a set of poll questions.
Thanks, I found the option. I also appreciate the feedback. You would think there are a lot of variables but mostly all I see is 37 pages of insults and a few solutions peppered in.

Originally Posted by icrashevos
As a sidenote for the forum, the moderators here don't listen to feedback when we ask for a thread to be stickied. Good luck with getting anything stickied on this forum lol
Shame.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:01 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by propain

Either way... I say we should create 1 damn thread about the discussion of the exhaust valve problem in the LS7 and make it a sticky. I don't know about anyone else but in my opinion there are way too many concurrent never ending threads about this issue and its mucking up this forum to be honest.

Anyone else agree?
The discussion of this matter will continue for as long as it continues to happen.

There is no abating the discussion of it.

As it increases in frequency, or potential instances of it increase in frequency, so will the discussion of it .

Another potential one just about an hour ago.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...r-exhaust.html

This new one to go along with the one from Bill Dearborn, 1 Bad Burb, Cantevendrive78, all within about a 7-10 day period.

All confirmed, feared or believed to be the same issue. Stock exhaust valve failure.

But do know, that if it were not happening, then there would likely be no discussion of it.

One thread though?????, and you would wind up with perhaps thousands of posts in it, making it impossible to navigate.

Thanks, I found the option. I also appreciate the feedback. You would think there are a lot of variables but mostly all I see is 37 pages of insults and a few solutions peppered in.

Shame.
Not sure what you are looking for my friend.

There are two basic ways of handling this problem.

1. Stock valves, bronze guides.

2. Stainless steel valves, bronze guides.

Pick an option based on what you have seen in terms of the reports in here, what cylinder head professionals and shops that you trust after you have had a chance to ask yourself just why you trust them, have to say, and go with the option you are comfortable with.

No need for a new poll.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 05-05-2013 at 07:06 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:34 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
The discussion of this matter will continue for as long as it continues to happen.

There is no abating the discussion of it.

As it increases in frequency, or potential instances of it increase in frequency, so will the discussion of it .

Another potential one just about an hour ago.

This new one to go along with the one from Bill Dearborn, 1 Bad Burb, Cantevendrive78, all within about a 7-10 day period.

All confirmed, feared or believed to be the same issue. Stock exhaust valve failure.

But do know, that if it were not happening, then there would likely be no discussion of it.

One thread though?????, and you would wind up with perhaps thousands of posts in it, making it impossible to navigate.

Not sure what you are looking for my friend.

There are two basic ways of handling this problem.

1. Stock valves, bronze guides.

2. Stainless steel valves, bronze guides.

Pick an option based on what you have seen in terms of the reports in here, what cylinder head professionals and shops that you trust after you have had a chance to ask yourself just why you trust them, have to say, and go with the option you are comfortable with.

No need for a new poll.
Are you seriously turning even this thread into another valve discussion?

Thank you for proving my point. Either that or you missed my point.

Also quite honestly Quick. I see the same 5-10 people posting about it. Sure new threads come up and they should be consolidated. Lots of other reasons to own the Z06 and reading threads on this forum was my point.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:46 PM
JWingo
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 49 Posts

Anyone else agree?
Consolidation would be good. Too much clutter.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:52 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by JWingo
Consolidation would be good. Too much clutter.
Too much BS quite honestly. Look at that other valve thread. A pissing match for the last 7 pages.

Quick, I like you bro, but how can you say that is productive? Also its what every single thread about this issue turns into with the same participants.

The next drama the next drama thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...est-video.html

This one too:

Both will turn into 10+ pages of pissing match over the same crap with no new data. That is my point Quick.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:02 PM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

Too much BS quite honestly. Look at that other valve thread. A pissing match for the last 7 pages.

Quick, I like you bro, but how can you say that is productive? Also its what every single thread about this issue turns into with the same participants.

This one too:

Both will turn into 10+ pages of pissing match over the same crap with no new data. That is my point Quick.
it's just now starting to get rolling. the failure rates are gonna go up. I agree with you. but when ppl lose a 15k engine some will be pissed and make their own thread I would
Old 05-05-2013, 08:13 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Originally Posted by z0sicktanner
it's just now starting to get rolling. the failure rates are gonna go up. I agree with you. but when ppl lose a 15k engine some will be pissed and make their own thread I would
1. Agree on the consolidation, OP. Or a sub-forum.

2. Why must a holed block result in a $15K engine? Seriously, wouldn't a bare block and a rebuild with salvaged parts be an option? For sure you'd need: bare block, couple of valves, one bare cylinder head, one piston, probably a piston pin and maybe a rod. Plus all the consumables (gaskets, bearings, bushings, seals, etc). Crank should survive, shouldn't it?

Some stuff you probably couldn't clean the debris out of and should replace to be on the safe side: oil lines for sure, intake manifold maybe, cats maybe.

I have to be overlooking something?
Old 05-05-2013, 08:17 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by z0sicktanner
1. Agreed. That will happen as these older cars get more miles on them.

2. Very rarely do you see the person who creates the thread in more than two to three posts on that thread. The other 600 replies are the bickering and pissing match trying to figure out who what where when and why and who works where and can debate better and who is more right and who works for GM.... ect ect.. lol you get my point.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:30 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

This one too:

What exactly are you looking to do here propain?

I'm curious.

Because if it is to make one big thread, that nobody will be able to find anything in it.

Besides, my point was, the options for management of this matter, which is really all that is left to discuss about it, as there is no longer any question as to if it exist, have already been discussed, and that was outlined in one of those two options.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 05-05-2013 at 08:33 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:38 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

What exactly are you looking to do here propain?

I'm curious.

Because if it is to make one big thread, that nobody will be able to find anything in.

Besides, my point was, the options for management of this matter, which is really all that is left to discuss about it, as there is no longer any question as to if it exist, have already been discussed, and that was outlined in one of those two options.

Clean up the BS on this forum. Sorry, just cranky watching a good thread turn into a pissing match between you and Mark for the last 3 days and got me to this point.

What can be found in that wonderfully productive thread anyhow that can't be found in the 87 page sticky above about the "Official GM response" I can answer that, nothing we haven't read before. So why the need to pollute every single thread with it?

A consolidated thread discussing the topic would be better. Why must every thread turn into a 20 page pissing match? Quite honestly its turning a good forum into a sewing circle. I'm sure many have either choose to ignore it or not come here anymore because of it.

Someone posts that their car blew up:

"Sorry, that sucks, we feel your pain, Check out this sticky for the info you are looking for"

Seems pretty straightforward to me. But hey.... fight the good fight if you must in every thread. Seems exhausting to me and I don't know how you haven't tired of it yet.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:38 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Step 1 attack posters with experience and information in valve threads.
Step 2 complain about bickering within the valve threads.
Step 3 congratulate yourself on mastering the interweb.

Last edited by jedblanks; 05-05-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:54 PM
ramairws6
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark200X
1. Agree on the consolidation, OP. Or a sub-forum.

2. Why must a holed block result in a $15K engine? Seriously, wouldn't a bare block and a rebuild with salvaged parts be an option? For sure you'd need: bare block, couple of valves, one bare cylinder head, one piston, probably a piston pin and maybe a rod. Plus all the consumables (gaskets, bearings, bushings, seals, etc). Crank should survive, shouldn't it?

Some stuff you probably couldn't clean the debris out of and should replace to be on the safe side: oil lines for sure, intake manifold maybe, cats maybe.

I have to be overlooking something?
I have seen 3 engines destroyed by exhaust valves first hand. Out of 3 of them all 3 had the crank destroyed. One busted in half actually and the other 2 had the rod/rods welded to the crank. Also, you can't even imagine what else this destroys around it. Motor mounts, oiling systems, and the parts that exploded embed in everything from the intake to the exhaust where it's not salvagable. Hell even 1BadBurbs engine wiring harness was destroyed. It's not a pretty sight and very costly
Old 05-05-2013, 08:58 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Clean up the BS on this forum. Sorry, just cranky watching a good thread turn into a pissing match between you and Mark for the last 3 days and got me to this point.

What can be found in that wonderfully productive thread anyhow that can't be found in the 87 page sticky above about the "Official GM response" I can answer that, nothing we haven't read before. So why the need to pollute every single thread with it?

A consolidated thread discussing the topic would be better. Why must every thread turn into a 20 page pissing match? Quite honestly its turning a good forum into a sewing circle. I'm sure many have either choose to ignore it or not come here anymore because of it.

Someone posts that their car blew up:

"Sorry, that sucks, we feel your pain, Check out this sticky for the info you are looking for"

Seems pretty straightforward to me. But hey.... fight the good fight if you must in every thread. Seems exhausting to me and I don't know how you haven't tired of it yet.
I think I understand what you mean.

And what information would the sticky contain?

Thanks
Old 05-05-2013, 08:59 PM
ramairws6
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jedblanks
Step 1 attack posters with experience and information in valve threads.
Step 2 complain about bickering within the valve threads.
Step 3 congratulate yourself on mastering the interweb.
Hahahahaha

Get notified of new replies

To POLL: Valve Problems

Old 05-05-2013, 08:59 PM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

1. Agreed. That will happen as these older cars get more miles on them.

2. Very rarely do you see the person who creates the thread in more than two to three posts on that thread. The other 600 replies are the bickering and pissing match trying to figure out who what where when and why and who works where and can debate better and who is more right and who works for GM.... ect ect.. lol you get my point.
I agree but the debate should be over at this point there is a problem. and us members should do something about it instead of fighting with each other.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:41 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ramairws6
I have seen 3 engines destroyed by exhaust valves first hand. Out of 3 of them all 3 had the crank destroyed. [...]
Ah. The price tag starts going up for a rebuild, then... I saw that a new bare block starts at $3K; a crank would be another $1K. One (!) piston is $800, a bare head is $1K, one con rod is $350 (cheaper than I would have thought). Man.... over $6K and just getting started.

Okay, thanks for the info
Old 05-05-2013, 09:46 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

I think I understand what you mean.

And what information would the sticky contain?

Thanks

I think a good first post with everything we know including statements from reputable shops and their recommended fixes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] POLL: Valve Problems