Sponsored by:

[Z06] Trouble finding gears

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 08:19 PM
Bobtam
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Trouble finding gears

I installed a monster stage two clutch last summer changed fluids in trans and rear. Amsoil torque drive in trans. Did it with my neighbor on our backs. Everthing worked great and did a track day with no problems.
car has not been driven much this year and I have just started to have a hard time shifting. at times it is difficult to find 5th gear and 6th.
Down shifting to third is difficult hard to get in and find. Then at times it all seems to work fine. I actually caught reverse going into 5th today. This is scary. I dont think its me.
Sitting in the car not running going through the gears is difficult.
Anybody have any ideas
Old 06-15-2013, 03:51 AM
Hitman227
Melting Slicks

Received 394 Likes on 347 Posts

Hmm, I know that symptom, sounds like synchros. I have an RPM Level V T-56, it works fantastically. Feel free to email me if you want in regards to the trans, I'll be able to answer any questions. In the mean time try again changing the fluids, this helps for flushing that's required for standard maintenances.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:57 AM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I suspect the fluid is not your issue. I've been racing with the AMSOIL Torque-Drive Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (Product Code ATD1G) for years and I only change my fluid annually after 4-5 track weekends.

Bent shift forks are pretty common as well. Upgraded transmissions have steel forks.

Forum vendor RKT Performance has a pretty nice webpage showing the weak links in the stock transmission. Worth a look for anyone who tracks their car.

T56 - Why Upgrade

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 06-15-2013, 08:38 AM
CorvetteJimZ06
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by C66 Racing
Bent shift forks are pretty common as well. Upgraded transmissions have steel forks.

Forum vendor RKT Performance has a pretty nice webpage showing the weak links in the stock transmission. Worth a look for anyone who tracks their car.

T56 - Why Upgrade
I'd put my money on bent shift rods. I had a similar issue and the rods were bent. I went to the heavier steel rods. It's a 30 minute installation if you have a lift to get under the car.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:49 PM
Bobtam
Racer

Originally Posted by CorvetteJimZ06
I'd put my money on bent shift rods. I had a similar issue and the rods were bent. I went to the heavier steel rods. It's a 30 minute installation if you have a lift to get under the car.
Where can I get heavier steel rods?
Old 06-15-2013, 12:55 PM
Bobtam
Racer

Originally Posted by CorvetteJimZ06
I,m confused The only shift rod I know of is the long rod going from the shifter along the torque tube to the trans.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:53 PM
Hitman227
Melting Slicks

Received 394 Likes on 347 Posts

The rods from the trans to the rear end should be checked. With regular use this will wear over time, with heavier use they're slop sooner. Upgrading this path is worth it because any weak component on the driveline won't allow speed shifting as quick or fast.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:55 AM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobtam
I,m confused The only shift rod I know of is the long rod going from the shifter along the torque tube to the trans.
I think the bigger problem is the stock aluminum shift forks which are inside the transmission (photos of these are on the RKT Performance link I pasted above).
Old 07-16-2013, 09:12 PM
Bobtam
Racer

Not only did I have trouble finding gears but started to get a strange noise when down shifting to second or third. this noise ( like a high pitched grinding) continued even if I put the lever in neutral with clutch in. It would continue for a couple of seconds then go away. Then it would sometimes give a squealing sound going into second or third. this does not happen all the time. I thought I might be in between two gears with both engaged or a syncro problem. Seems to get worse when the car gets hot. Its been near 100F here days in a row.
Went and adjusted the shift linkage following factory procedure and the shifting and gear selection improved a lot. Did not hear the noise anymore until today when it happened on downshifting again. The squeal upshifting came back once. This is strange because 95 percent of the time it shifts perfectly. No grinding even on high RPM upshifts. I'm baffled.

Get notified of new replies

To Trouble finding gears

Quick Reply: [Z06] Trouble finding gears