Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Would you buy a z06 that was in an accident?

Old 06-27-2013, 02:26 PM
envyz06
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Would you buy a z06 that was in an accident?

Just like the title states I am looking at a 03 EB z06 with mod red, which I have been trying to find for awhile local. I should be looking at it either today or tomorrow to get a better idea but from the pictures it looks perfect. It states it hit a median... here is the actual carfax report HERE

I feel the price is decent, going to try to talk them down because of the incident but would you still go for it? I have been looking since February and getting tired of waiting! Thanks guys!
Old 06-27-2013, 02:44 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

depends on the accident. minor accidents that were repaired by insurance wouldn't scare me off

frame damage or non insurance repairs would.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:56 PM
bobby777
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by envyz06
Just like the title states I am looking at a 03 EB z06 with mod red, which I have been trying to find for awhile local. I should be looking at it either today or tomorrow to get a better idea but from the pictures it looks perfect. It states it hit a median... here is the actual carfax report HERE

I feel the price is decent, going to try to talk them down because of the incident but would you still go for it? I have been looking since February and getting tired of waiting! Thanks guys!
Take the car to a pro--let him tell you what he sees--I personally would never buy a wrecked/fixed sports car-
The following users liked this post:
02*C5 (07-13-2022)
Old 06-27-2013, 05:00 PM
vant
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As long as the damaged parts were repaired/replaced correctly, paint looks good, and there was no frame damage, then yes, I would consider buying it.

Does the CarFAX report provide any more details about the accident itself or the extent of the damage?

Most people automatically assume the worst - that the car was flipped on the interstate or something. It's possible that the car could simply have been backed into in a parking lot. I wouldn't necessarily pass up a clean car just because it had one fender replaced & repainted 8 years ago.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:28 PM
dclafleur
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Almost this entire car is designed to bolt-on bolt-off. Parts are seldom repaired they're usually replaced, if it was a halfway decent shop than odds are it's just fine.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:08 PM
MotoMike02
Instructor

Mine was in an accident and I still bought it. Accidents on carfax are nothing to fret about unless it states salvage/rebuilt title or frame damage. Most cars arent even reported on carfax. If the car looks good and was repaired right then it should be fine. Price adjustments for an accident are rare esp if minor and fixed correctly. I had an older gentleman offer me 19K for my 04 with 9K miles because it was in an accident.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:02 PM
MY03C5Z
Race Director

Received 195 Likes on 148 Posts

Like it tapped the guardrail/median minor fender damage or hit a median head on? If it was the former it might not be a big deal, the latter I would not consider it. There were so many to choose from when I was looking for mine, I got a carfax account for the month to run any vin I was interested in. Any with accident reports I just passed on. If you dont have a lot to choose from I would consider it and have a good body man look it over really well on a lift.

Just looked at the carfax. 4 owners in the last 4 years??? That would raise some redflags to me as well.

Last edited by MY03C5Z; 06-28-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:52 PM
Chris S
Instructor

I have what you're looking for, and its accident-free, just turned 30k miles, and local.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:02 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by dclafleur
Almost this entire car is designed to bolt-on bolt-off. Parts are seldom repaired they're usually replaced, if it was a halfway decent shop than odds are it's just fine.
I have stripped the most of the body off a C5 in 2 hours.

That is the front and rear facia to. ALL but the halo and back hatch on the coup.

so as long as the frame is straight

However, I had a little frame damage to my 03 and had to replace the right rear frame quarter.

Once that was welded in, and the frame straighten, it was truer then OEM specs. So frame damage is not really that bad.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:36 PM
bob22z06
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine was in accident when I bought it ...and I did most of the work Myself it was great experience. ..now if I look back I bet I can take my Z apart with my eyes closed...so if I were u I would get it if its a good price and if everything looks original ....good luck
Old 07-07-2013, 05:24 PM
PeteZ06
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Take it to a shop and let them tell you what was fixed.. although that might be a little more difficult since it was 8 years ago....

I wouldnt worry about it if no frame damage... I'd definitely worry more why the past few owners have kept it only a year.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:03 PM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 440 Likes on 324 Posts

Based on the CarFax, the car has been driven 50,000 miles since the accident. If the car looks and drives good, the repair is likely ok. If the car was for sale immediately after the repair, then I'd worry.
The following 2 users liked this post by 3sACROWD:
pnewt (07-30-2022), Sydwayz (07-14-2022)
Old 07-09-2013, 07:38 PM
gun5l1ng3r
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just my opinion, but I would not buy a wrecked Corvette.

There is just no way to truly tell what happened...
Old 07-09-2013, 07:53 PM
96DCMDGGM
1st Gear

Three weeks ago I was northbound on a 6 lane divided urban highway when a lady made a right turn on red from westbound to northbound. I saw her leave the light and couldn't believe that she took all three lanes and ended up in front of me. I jammed on the brakes but that wasn't enough to avoid collision. I had to pull to the left and ended up with the car on the concrete median. The left side tires were off the ground. The Z06 was winched off the median and driven to a dealership about a mile away.

But I have to credit to the integrity of the lady that ran me off the road. She came back with her name, phone number and insurance identification.

She had Allstate insurance and they're covering everything under the car that has as much as a scratch on it. This includes the engine cradle, oil pan, front & rear control arms, rear spring, central exhaust with the cats and gas tank heat shield. Body damage includes the steel rails to support the seat under the balsa floor pans. The insurance adjuster was concerned with the integrity of any cast aluminum part. Underside damage is $9,400 with all parts at retail from insurance to the dealer. There was no external body damage.

If you can, take a look under the car to be sure all the cast aluminum is in good shape. If it was fixed by a dealer with the insurance company paying the bill, the loss may have been restored to like new condition after the collision.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:06 PM
fisher auto
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I bought a car that had more damage than I thought it did. I had to have a good bodyshop put a LF rail in it while engine was out put a small blower cam and dual springs in it (ECS), torque tube, monster clutch (600 miles on it and still getting use to it) got all used panels and all susp parts from vettenuts had them painted and put it together myself . Cars drives and rides like nothing happen, so just depends on how u feel .

Last edited by fisher auto; 07-10-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:25 PM
envyz06
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I ended up buying the car, it was very minor backed into a cement barrier, just replaced bumper. Dont regret the purchase at all!
The following users liked this post:
Sydwayz (07-14-2022)
Old 07-10-2013, 02:51 PM
mph1972
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by racebum
depends on the accident. minor accidents that were repaired by insurance wouldn't scare me off

frame damage or non insurance repairs would.

I hit a feet in mine and had the repairs professionally done by a business that has dealt with corvettes since the 60s. I also took the opportunity to have some other things done with my paint scheme and I think my car is worth more now than before. Just my honest opinion. It really just has a lot to do with accident and repair facility.

Get notified of new replies

To Would you buy a z06 that was in an accident?

Old 07-10-2013, 03:04 PM
Race Prepared
Burning Brakes

Received 78 Likes on 53 Posts

No, there are too many C5 Z06 Corvettes out there without problems, find one of those.
Old 07-13-2022, 06:04 PM
Ewellnitz
Heel & Toe

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 96DCMDGGM
Three weeks ago I was northbound on a 6 lane divided urban highway when a lady made a right turn on red from westbound to northbound. I saw her leave the light and couldn't believe that she took all three lanes and ended up in front of me. I jammed on the brakes but that wasn't enough to avoid collision. I had to pull to the left and ended up with the car on the concrete median. The left side tires were off the ground. The Z06 was winched off the median and driven to a dealership about a mile away.

But I have to credit to the integrity of the lady that ran me off the road. She came back with her name, phone number and insurance identification.

She had Allstate insurance and they're covering everything under the car that has as much as a scratch on it. This includes the engine cradle, oil pan, front & rear control arms, rear spring, central exhaust with the cats and gas tank heat shield. Body damage includes the steel rails to support the seat under the balsa floor pans. The insurance adjuster was concerned with the integrity of any cast aluminum part. Underside damage is $9,400 with all parts at retail from insurance to the dealer. There was no external body damage.

If you can, take a look under the car to be sure all the cast aluminum is in good shape. If it was fixed by a dealer with the insurance company paying the bill, the loss may have been restored to like new condition after the collision.
I miss you and love you, Dad. Rest in peace.
The following 3 users liked this post by Ewellnitz:
Dads2kconvertible (07-30-2022), raycer (10-26-2022), Sydwayz (07-14-2022)
Old 07-13-2022, 06:57 PM
pauly1119
Drifting

Received 401 Likes on 230 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'11

Was this an old post from your father?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Would you buy a z06 that was in an accident?