C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Miles vs age

Old 07-18-2013, 02:34 PM
Patrick Ritchie
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Miles vs age

Plan to look at a couple cars this weekend.

A 2005 with 33k miles and a 2009 with 70k.

Would appreciate thoughts in considering the trade offs between each.

btw - I tried to search, but once again failed miserably
Old 07-18-2013, 03:08 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

How much is each one?

You can no doubt find a newer one with fewer miles, but the price would be higher.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:21 PM
Patrick Ritchie
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RocketDawg
How much is each one?

You can no doubt find a newer one with fewer miles, but the price would be higher.
The 2009 is a private sale asking $28k

The 2005 is a dealer asking $30k

I can no doubt eventually find a newer one with lower miles at a higher price, but my budget is pretty firm.

I'm mostly interested in how to frame the trade offs between these two options.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:39 PM
1Sikstik
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 124 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

The newer one has the LS3 in it and Bluetooth capability if its equipped. I think they are both a bit overpriced. The 05 more than the 09. I sold my 08 LS3 with 73,000 for 26 thousand. If the 09 has a clutch see if its been replaced, check brakes/rotors. I would be leaning toward the newer one but it does have twice the mileage. Buy the one that is cleanest imo.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:04 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 815 Likes on 384 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

There are a few things to do as far as pricing goes. One what are they selling for in your area. It will differ from area to area. Second you can always look at the KBB for a good starting point. Also there will always be those that tell you the are over priced and I assume they are simply basing that on what they would be willing to pay, or what they are selling for in their general area. Also remember the asking process is normally not what the seller or dealer will take.
According to the KBB the '08 retail is right at $32,500 and that was just using the options that have set at default. so if it is more then a 1LT the price may be higher.
The '09 is listed at $27,000 in excellent condition and again this is based on the 1LT package.
IIt really comes down to you as far as mileage and options of both. The '09 has the LS3 which is rated at 430hp or 436 with the NPP option while the '05 has the LS2 rated at 400hp. If they are both automatics, the '05 has the 4-speed auto and the '09 has the 6-speed auto with the paddle shifters. the mileage on the '09 is just about right for the age of the car, and if it was well maintained there should not be an issue with it.
So As I mentioned if you are not in the mood to look more, then you need to decide which one grabs you more then the other, based on exterior color and interior color, options and overall price. When I decide to final move up from my C5 to a C6, I was sure it would be an '08 or '09 because of the LS3. Well I ended up with an '07 because it had the 3LT, full nav. system, plus the wide body kit, black chrome Z06 style wheels and I loved the color combo of Monterey Red Metallic and Cashmere interior. I really did not notice that much of a difference in the overall performance of the LS2 and the KS3.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:12 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

personally, i would keep looking. i know you'll find a better deal somewhere, unless of course your in a rush. which would be foolish considering the amount you'll be spending, and the fact you don't want to buy a lemon. anyway, good hunting and lots of luck.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:21 PM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Interesting question. I don't know the answer, but I don't think the OP is trying to just evaluate his specific deal.

I believe he's asking, all other things being equal, is more miles newer better than less miles older? I'm interested in that answer as well.
The following users liked this post:
NazTheGreek (12-01-2022)
Old 07-18-2013, 04:22 PM
Patrick Ritchie
Intermediate

Originally Posted by billyboy47
personally, i would keep looking. i know you'll find a better deal somewhere, unless of course your in a rush. which would be foolish considering the amount you'll be spending, and the fact you don't want to buy a lemon. anyway, good hunting and lots of luck.
i'm in no huge rush, but I would like to find something before the first week of August.

Thanks for the feedback. But what would you consider a better deal?
Old 07-18-2013, 04:24 PM
Patrick Ritchie
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DigitalWidgets
Interesting question. I don't know the answer, but I don't think the OP is trying to just evaluate his specific deal.

I believe he's asking, all other things being equal, is more miles newer better than less miles older? I'm interested in that answer as well.
Bingo!

Even if I end up buying neither I want to make sure I understand what I'm trading off in each case.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:27 PM
jrob56
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Id probably go for the ls3 and I would offer less, try to get it for 25-26k. Curious about options, trim level, and condition of each though? Another thing going for the 09 is you get to talk to the previous owner and get an idea for how it lived its life.

Edit: Just saw most recent posts, for me Id take newer and more miles if all else was equal. The platform would have gone through revisions, should have less issues then the first model year, newer engine, more creature comforts(aux input for example).

Last edited by jrob56; 07-18-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:32 PM
Patrick Ritchie
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jrob56
Id probably go for the ls3 and I would offer less, try to get it for 25-26k. Curious about options, trim level, and condition of each though? Another thing going for the 09 is you get to talk to the previous owner and get an idea for how it lived its life.

Edit: Just saw most recent posts, for me Id take newer and more miles if all else was equal. The platform would have gone through revisions, should have less issues then the first model year, newer engine, more creature comforts(aux input for example).
The 2005 is a 1SB

The 2009 is a 1LT

Both are manual Z-51. Both have after market nav.

Thanks for the specific input on newer + miles vs older & less miles. That's exactly what I'm looking for.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:21 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,058 Likes on 1,503 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

They are relatively equal, as the price is the indicator of value.

The unknown is how you intend to use the car and the length of time you expect to own it.

If it's to be a weekend toy at car shows and a garage queen in between, then low mileage will be the best return on value in the long term.

If it's a DD and fun cruiser or occasional track car, then low mileage takes a back seat to the enjoyment and use, because a bigger chunk of mileage based depreciation has already been used up. The age based depreciation will always be 4 years less than the '05.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:28 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 815 Likes on 384 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Patrick Ritchie
i'm in no huge rush, but I would like to find something before the first week of August.

Thanks for the feedback. But what would you consider a better deal?
The first week of Aug is not that far away, so it sound like you may be in a little rush. As far as the constantly shopping for a better deal, sometime you pass up a better car thinking you will find something even better. Every Corvette I have bought except my first one were one of the first ones I looked at, had them checked and bought them with in a few days of looking at them. I am the type that when I see something I like I buy it. All were good cars and no real trouble. Sure you can spend months searching and test driving and that is fine if you really have not found that one that simply says this is it. But if you find one that you know it is what you are looking for and it checks out and you don't buy, you may really regret it down the road.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:06 PM
simplegto
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

It would be good if you could how many times a car has been driven (doors opened and closed, motor started). I would rather have a car driven 50 miles a day for 3 years than one that went 2 miles to work and back for 8 years. Look at the seats and other wear items.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:36 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

If all things are equal, then give me the less miles which equals less wear and tear which in essence equals newer in all but a date on a title.
However all things are not equal here.
The difference
The 05 is the first yr of a generation. That is the biggest bother to me. They usually have the most bugs which are worked out by the 3rd yr.
Then there's the LS2 vs LS3. Not a game changer for me. You can gain the 30 HP difference with a tune and a few minor mods.
I'm not sure but I think the 09 has an updated tranny too. But don't take my word on that.

For me, I don't like the choices you have. The 05 is 1st yr and the 09 with 70k is unacceptable . But maybe the 70k doesn't bother you. Each has different priorities. As for pricing, that is easily enough gotten online with KBB.com or MADA.com. The price I pay is trade value. Never retail. Its all about the negotiation and getting what you want in the budget you can afford. Good luck. But take your time and maybe look at some other options. Just my opinion. Good luck.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:45 PM
Patrick Ritchie
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
They are relatively equal, as the price is the indicator of value.

The unknown is how you intend to use the car and the length of time you expect to own it.

If it's to be a weekend toy at car shows and a garage queen in between, then low mileage will be the best return on value in the long term.

If it's a DD and fun cruiser or occasional track car, then low mileage takes a back seat to the enjoyment and use, because a bigger chunk of mileage based depreciation has already been used up. The age based depreciation will always be 4 years less than the '05.
Perhaps the most insightful comment so far

This will be my DD and occasional hill country cruiser, although my commute is short so I don't expect to put more than 8-10k a year on it.

Still this logic does point to the 09 is fitting my criteria better.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:57 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

I would go for the LS3 engine. Get the newest year car you can afford IMO

Get notified of new replies

To Miles vs age

Old 07-18-2013, 09:10 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

The 2009 is a private sale asking $28k

The 2005 is a dealer asking $30k

I can no doubt eventually find a newer one with lower miles at a higher price, but my budget is pretty firm.

I'm mostly interested in how to frame the trade offs between these two options.
Personally, I think the 2005 at $30K is WAY too much. And I'm not sure I'd want a 4 year old car with almost 80,000 miles.

Let me give you some recent experience:

I totaled my 2003 in September 2012 (not my fault ... SUV pulled across my path). It had about 114,000 miles on it, and my insurance company gave me just over $20,000 for it. So that's one data point.

Two weeks later I bought an '09 1LT with Z51 and in a "red crystal tricoat", which is a $1K option. The car had 12,500 miles and was like new in all respects. It was a Certified Pre-Owned car, so I bought it from a dealer. KBB retail at the time was $38K and I paid $36K.

So you can probably get a better deal than $28K for the high mileage car. But if it's got to be one of the two you mentioned, I'd go with the newer car with more miles. But you can most likely find a similar car with fewer miles for very close to the same price.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:10 PM
Patrick Ritchie
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BWF07
The first week of Aug is not that far away, so it sound like you may be in a little rush. As far as the constantly shopping for a better deal, sometime you pass up a better car thinking you will find something even better. Every Corvette I have bought except my first one were one of the first ones I looked at, had them checked and bought them with in a few days of looking at them. I am the type that when I see something I like I buy it. All were good cars and no real trouble. Sure you can spend months searching and test driving and that is fine if you really have not found that one that simply says this is it. But if you find one that you know it is what you are looking for and it checks out and you don't buy, you may really regret it down the road.
Tell me about it... I narrowly missed buying two cars over the past few weeks, one was the dealers fault and someone beat me to the other
Old 07-18-2013, 09:19 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Tell me about it... I narrowly missed buying two cars over the past few weeks, one was the dealers fault and someone beat me to the other

Have you made a Post in the C6 Cars Sale - Cars Wanted Sections? If not I'd suggest you go there. List your max budget and what you basically want. Deals happen.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Miles vs age