C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pros and cons of TTix and YSi setups

Old 05-05-2014, 11:24 AM
Mookster
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Pros and cons of TTix and YSi setups

Howdy,

Im hoping to pull a trigger on either kit by this Friday. I keep changing my mind which kit i want to go along my new forged long block

Goal: 850whp to 900whp for now, work on hooking that power level. In the winter im planning on upgrading rear diff/axles and whatever else is needed. Car is mainly used for roll racing, hoping to attend Shift Sector soon for half mil shoot out but car would constantly see 160+ pulls.

I would like to have some spare room to perhaps make 1100whp one day but im not sure how realistic that is to get to hook without insane setups.

Could you guys list pros and cons of each kit? (TTix kit would with their 3" DPs and 6265 turbos)
Old 05-05-2014, 11:32 AM
Tuomas FIN
Drifting

Received 429 Likes on 207 Posts

Well, I had first Ysi, then went to TT

My opinion, go to twin turbo, power comes much more smoothly.

EDIT: I have DKT kit with 62/66 turbos
Old 05-05-2014, 11:46 AM
harveyjl
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Im doing the same thing going o be getting the DKT kit. soon bu not soon enough....lol
Old 05-05-2014, 11:50 AM
harveyjl
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mookster
Howdy,

Im hoping to pull a trigger on either kit by this Friday. I keep changing my mind which kit i want to go along my new forged long block

Goal: 850whp to 900whp for now, work on hooking that power level. In the winter im planning on upgrading rear diff/axles and whatever else is needed. Car is mainly used for roll racing, hoping to attend Shift Sector soon for half mil shoot out but car would constantly see 160+ pulls.

I would like to have some spare room to perhaps make 1100whp one day but im not sure how realistic that is to get to hook without insane setups.

Could you guys list pros and cons of each kit? (TTix kit would with their 3" DPs and 6265 turbos)
Twins are the way to go. Both will get you to your goal and some, with a super charger you loose 100hp to make the 200-300 extra hp, with the turbos your just gaining with out loosing any power.. plus you can buy a controller for the turbos, and set it up however you like. Stage 1 can be daily driving 800rwhp.. Stage 2 can be kill mode 1000+ and stage 3 can be for dyno days 1200+.

With the super charger it is what it is until you have time to buy and install new pullys and tune the car.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:53 AM
jon6.0
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Ask Unreal what he thinks about having to send his YSi in for a rebuild and it only has a few thousand miles on it. My T trim was leaking oil into the compressor. That added a few hundred when I sent it in for a Ti upgrade. If you have the cash I would go turbo.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:01 PM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jon6.0
Ask Unreal what he thinks about having to send his YSi in for a rebuild and it only has a few thousand miles on it. My T trim was leaking oil into the compressor. That added a few hundred when I sent it in for a Ti upgrade. If you have the cash I would go turbo.
His YSI failed because of belt material getting into a bearing due to a failed seal. THis is not the norm. Buddy of mine has over 15000 problem free miles on a YSI that gets flogged 5000rpm over max impeller speed consistently.

Blower reliability is all about pulley alignment. This car I am referencing ran the same 8 rib belt for over two years making 900+whp. We just switched it over to a 10 rib and expect the same reliability.

Blower to crank and crank to blower alignment needs to be dead nuts. I have net to see a kit "out of the box" that didnt need to be shimmed in one way or another to get it perfect.

And that is not the manufacturers mistake, there are a lot of variables when you install a blower. GM has a "tollerance" for machining. You should never just "assume" everything is going to line up without checking it. A well calibrated laser alignment took is a superchargers best friend.

I love turbos, but unless you have a bit wallet and dont mind chasing down mechanical gremlins, the supercharger is far more simple.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:14 PM
turbotuner20v
Safety Car

Received 211 Likes on 118 Posts

supercharger is less complex and cheaper

turbo is more complex and more expensive

Turbo gives more flexibility on boost settings and could have a better power curve and make more power if setup right
Old 05-05-2014, 12:22 PM
Mookster
Drifting

Lets discuss the cost difference, its not all that much more. YSi kit with 10 rib and balancer comes out to be 7500 to $8k. Throw in another $2k for 2"inch headers and you are $9500.

TTix and i believe DKT are both around $12k. I guess install of the TT kit is going to be more but since im close to Turbo Tech they can install in house for a fair price.

Can we further discuss breecher_7's point on pulley alignment, is this very common and the shop installing should know how to align it? (Shop has installed the YSi before)?
Old 05-05-2014, 12:26 PM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Lets discuss the cost difference, its not all that much more. YSi kit with 10 rib and balancer comes out to be 7500 to $8k. Throw in another $2k for 2"inch headers and you are $9500.

TTix and i believe DKT are both around $12k. I guess install of the TT kit is going to be more but since im close to Turbo Tech they can install in house for a fair price.

Can we further discuss breecher_7's point on pulley alignment, is this very common and the shop installing should know how to align it? (Shop has installed the YSi before)?
As long as it is a reputable shop that deals a lot with 10 rib drives (LMR, Vengeance, A&A, ECS) you should not be worried.

If its a shop that seldomly does big power blower cars I would be scared $hitless....

Throw the shop name out there and im sure more than a few of us can give you an opinion!
Old 05-05-2014, 12:42 PM
Mookster
Drifting

Originally Posted by breecher_7
As long as it is a reputable shop that deals a lot with 10 rib drives (LMR, Vengeance, A&A, ECS) you should not be worried.

If its a shop that seldomly does big power blower cars I would be scared $hitless....

Throw the shop name out there and im sure more than a few of us can give you an opinion!
I will either buy ECS kit or A&A kit if i go with YSi. Interestingly enough, a different vendor tells me that both of those kits dont provide big enough inercooler, they built a custom bigger cooler that performed better. Im not sure how much i buy that but thats what i hear.

So most likely i go with ECS kit(very reputable) from what i can tell on this forum. Tom Wong would be the installer, locally he is regarded a good shop. He's done my H/C setup with 0 issues. He is installed a few YSi and is installing one right now actually.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:45 PM
Tuomas FIN
Drifting

Received 429 Likes on 207 Posts

You forgot the fuel system and injectors. Around 3 k?? If ID's and Fore system.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:47 PM
turbotuner20v
Safety Car

Received 211 Likes on 118 Posts

I know it wasn't one of the original options, but if starting from scratch and wanting big power, the ProCharger F1X is a good option to consider.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:50 PM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Originally Posted by turbotuner20v
I know it wasn't one of the original options, but if starting from scratch and wanting big power, the ProCharger F1X is a good option to consider.
No argument there...

F1X with a ECS or Cartek Bracket would be a good fit if your goals are north of 1050whp BUT... I think the YSI makes more sense for a street car.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:54 PM
EX1
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jon6.0
I have seen just as many turbo failures as I have blowers. Especially when it comes to oil leaks or shaft play.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:59 PM
Frans96ss
Le Mans Master

Received 352 Likes on 210 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Old 05-05-2014, 01:00 PM
Mookster
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tuomas FIN
You forgot the fuel system and injectors. Around 3 k?? If ID's and Fore system.
Im getting a new fuel system regardless, i thought YSi needs a new fuel system too?

My plan:

YSi or TT kit
New fuel system w/injectors
Clutch with new slave and master cylinders
Radiator
Meth kit
(Headers if YSi)

Back to ProCharger thing that others have brought, Dont u have to run that blower at its maximum, it doesnt like to run unless its a full tilt?

I'd be open to F1R but aside from Dallas Performance who else sells it as a kit?
Old 05-05-2014, 01:03 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Like Breecher said, my Ysi dying was from belt getting sucked into the bearing, not the blowers fault at all. The fact that is lasted 7k miles with the bearing packed full of belt is amazing.

Packaging on the SC kits is better IMO. Easier to work on and tweak. Well running 10 rib Ysi setup will do that no issues and be very reliable.

I'm a huge turbo fan, but haven't seen a good vette kit IMO. The TTiX kit is nice and if you want 800-900 it maybe fine. Lots of turbo people have issues with oil pumps, smoking turbos, turbo seals/etc. I haven't seen a single kit that I would say does oiling correctly. The install is a royal pain, lots more cutting/bending/hacking, and a lot harder to do things like clutch/etc if needed. I love turbos, I have full access to a turbo/fab shop yet I'm still running the blower.

I think in the c6 package, unless you go Sinsster/Vengance style and go all out custom/crazy just stick with the blower. If you have a great fab person and do it all custom/etc then look into turbo but I wouldn't even bother unless you are going for 1300+. 800-1100 I would go Ysi. 1100-1300 I would go F1X. 1300+ I would go custom twins.

Get notified of new replies

To Pros and cons of TTix and YSi setups

Old 05-05-2014, 01:04 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

A&A has PC brackets, ECS has PC brackets, PC has their setups, Cartek has PC brackets. Plenty of options.

When I pulled my blower apart it was at the turbo shop. On the turbo rebuild table with about 30 turbos on it. In fact I shipped it to vortech from the turbo place because they have a UPS account and it was cheaper, and I'm still not turbo.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:06 PM
Mookster
Drifting

^^Thanks Unreal! BTW guys, Unreal is a cool dude, i always bug him via IMs about everything lol

Is it worth debating YSi vs F1R?
Old 05-05-2014, 01:08 PM
lt1z
Melting Slicks

Received 170 Likes on 143 Posts

I like the YSi and F1A for a true street car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pros and cons of TTix and YSi setups