C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing seat springs....revisited

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2002, 02:34 PM
Mike99C5HT
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Removing seat springs....revisited

Over the last month or so I've been wondering why I haven't enjoyed driving the vette as much. About a week ago the reason why hits me...my freakin **** hurts! After driving about 20-30 minutes I would become really uncomfortable and while on the highway I could feel every little irregularity in the road.

About 6 months ago I removed all 4 support springs on the underside of the seat per the recommendation of some forum member who found out this is what Bragg-Smith driving school does to give their students a better feel of the road plus some added headroom when wearing a helmet. Initially I thought it was great...I sat about an inch lower in the saddle and all seemed well.

A few days ago I put 2 of the 4 springs back in...the outer ones. I noticed that the foam padding under the seat had become warped for lack of a better word and that when I sat on the seat I sunk so far down that my butt was actually almost resting on the seat frame. Not good. Sooo...I reshaped the padding the best I could and then found an old bed comforter I had in the closet. I ripped about some of the soft padding out of it and stuffed the side bolsters full. Reinstalled the seat with the springs in and went for a ride.

All I can say is DAMN...I'm such a dumbarse for ever taking those springs out. The car rides like a freaking Caddy compared to how it was. Feels great over bumps and the comfort factor is back.

Anyone who has taken the springs out may want to re-evaluate how comfortable they feel in the car.
Old 07-25-2002, 03:50 PM
Cathouse
Instructor

Default Re: Removing seat springs....revisited (Mike99C5HT)

I, too, took out all four springs last summer so I could wear my helmet on Track Day. Got to be a pain in the hinder, so I put the two outer ones back in.

Seems to have sagged more now (both the C5's seat AND mine ;) ), and every time I climb in I say to myself, "I gotta put those other two springs in!"

Great idea about putting some additional padding in there! Thanks for the suggestion and for bringing this up again.

Cheers!

Old 08-03-2002, 12:39 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,046 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Default Re: Removing seat springs....revisited (Cathouse)

Mike-
I may be the culprit who gave you that advice. Sorry it did not work out for you.
On the other hand, it seems like every car seat and butt is a little different- only in the last couple of weeks have mine sagged enough that I am beginning to bottom out. I went over a year and 20K miles before the problem showed up, and I still like being able to get the aditional headroom when needed for a helmet. I solve the problem now by using the electric tilt to raise the rear of the seat just a bit.
Enjoy!
Old 08-03-2002, 11:08 PM
Mike99C5HT
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Removing seat springs....revisited (Gearhead Jim)

Hey Jim,

Acutally, I should have said I got the recommendation from several forum members back then. I recall there were a lot of us that jumped on the band wagon. Hey, it worked great for me for a little while at least.

Old 08-04-2002, 06:26 PM
'99Vetteguy
Pro

Default Re: Removing seat springs....revisited (Mike99C5HT)

I tried removing the springs for helmet room too and didn't get enough, so I put the springs back in a few days later after I got tired of bouncing my butt on the seat frame.
Old 08-04-2002, 07:28 PM
silverz06vette
Drifting

Default Re: Removing seat springs....revisited ('99Vetteguy)

What is the process to remove the springs? How long does it take to reinstall them? I installed a hardbar for a video camera mount and I know that once I put a helmet on my head will touch the roof. With the hardbar I can't get the seat to recline back all the way. Won't hurt for the track as I like being up on the wheel. But it puts me futher up than I was at my last visit to the track.

Get notified of new replies

To Removing seat springs....revisited

Quick Reply: Removing seat springs....revisited