C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Automatic Shifter Broken - Need help replacing Transmission Shifter Module

Old 06-09-2014, 03:25 PM
bjphio
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default C6 Automatic Shifter Broken - Here are pics to help replace shifter

I have '07 C6 Automatic and the shifter was locked in neutral/Drive so I could not shift it into Reverse or Park. I was able to get it to the dealer and they told me the Transmission Shifter Module needed to be replaced for a $800.00. I am very mechanical and do most repairs myself. I p urchased a new shifter for $152.00 delivered and after watching a video on removing the console I removed it in 8 minutes. The shifter is held in place by 4 nuts on fixed threaded posts. Once he shifter is loose I placed it in neutral and thn lifted it about half way. The shifter has a male round pin that fits into a female receiver that was separated with light pressure from a log large screw driver. Once separated the entire unit lifted comletely out.

The new shifter did not come with a new **** so I had to remove the **** from the old shifter and reinstall it on to the new shifter. It was a bit of a puzzle but after about 20 min. I figured it out and reinstaled it. There are a couple of videos online that show the process. so be sure to watch and read the posts to avoid breaking the **** clips.

Last edited by bjphio; 06-19-2014 at 06:11 PM. Reason: more info
The following users liked this post:
Hobbs (05-16-2020)
Old 06-09-2014, 03:50 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

I haven't done it but I believe it's pretty basic and sounds like you've done the hard part.

Here's a quick discussion of the "secret" to remove the mechanism:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...lp-needed.html
Old 06-09-2014, 06:09 PM
bjphio
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by RicK T
I haven't done it but I believe it's pretty basic and sounds like you've done the hard part.

Here's a quick discussion of the "secret" to remove the mechanism:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...lp-needed.html
Thanks Rick. Do you know if the connection is a compression fitting(Ball and socket)?
Old 06-09-2014, 06:49 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

If the solenoid is attached to the shifter, then you have to replace the entire assembly. Be careful as any forcing and you could also damage the shifter cable. Please record your issue at www.safercar.gov (NHTSA website) as this is an ongoing problem and becoming much more widespread.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:33 PM
bjphio
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
If the solenoid is attached to the shifter, then you have to replace the entire assembly. Be careful as any forcing and you could also damage the shifter cable. Please record your issue at www.safercar.gov (NHTSA website) as this is an ongoing problem and becoming much more widespread.

I'll do it. I am expecting the part his week so I am sure te part help me understand the connection, but was was hoping somebody had the service manual that might detail the repair.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:20 PM
bjphio
Heel & Toe

Default Shifter Images

I received the new shifter for which I paid about $165.00. The connection is a snap pin and should be fairly easy to install. The console removal was fairly easy too.
Attached Images     
Old 06-19-2014, 03:29 PM
bjphio
Heel & Toe

These are pictures of the shifter linkage once the shifter was lifted out of the console. I used a large screw driver to lightly separate the shifter from the linkage. It is a simple compression fitting.

The most difficult part of this repair was removing the shifter **** and reinstalling it. The shifter is best placed in neutral to allow the leather boot the most room to be positioned for **** removal. These is a tutorial and video online that shows the removal and parts. It's a bit of a puzzle and everyting needs to be lined up perfectly to get it off and back on. It took me about 20 min for the **** and 30 min for the shifter.
Attached Images       
Old 06-19-2014, 05:24 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

nice work and thanks for sharing
Old 12-09-2020, 05:59 PM
amegs87
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no other way to correct this issue, if you want it done right. It is easier to remove and replace the whole shifter than half-*** the lock mechanism and is definitely the SAFEST bet ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Don't be intimidated all you need is a tiny bit of mechanical smarts.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Automatic Shifter Broken - Need help replacing Transmission Shifter Module

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C6 Automatic Shifter Broken - Need help replacing Transmission Shifter Module