Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

What kind of mathematical equations do you use when designing a car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 07:25 AM
93VettePilot
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What kind of mathematical equations do you use when designing a car?

I was one of those boys in school who never understood the need for mathematics as a teenager. Not until I was 35 did I start getting interested in math. My stepfather is an engineer and regularly helps me figure out thermodynamic questions for home heating and cooling.

Thanks in advance,
Old 12-29-2016, 04:06 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by 93VettePilot
I was one of those boys in school who never understood the need for mathematics as a teenager. Not until I was 35 did I start getting interested in math. My stepfather is an engineer and regularly helps me figure out thermodynamic questions for home heating and cooling.

Thanks in advance,
Only one: e=mc^2
Old 12-31-2016, 09:48 AM
jcthorne
Drifting

Received 421 Likes on 240 Posts

If you are serious in this endeavor, I suggest you check out the publications at the SAE web site. GM (and other auto manufactures) regularly publish well written and documented white papers on a number of automotive engineering subjects including specific aspects of thermal and dynamics design of the Corvette. Some are free and in the public domain, some have a small cost involved, usually waived for members.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:43 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,791 Likes on 1,140 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

This question was asked almost 2 years ago. Why on Earth Shaka decided to dredge it up is beyond me. Specially with a useless answer.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:50 AM
jcthorne
Drifting

Received 421 Likes on 240 Posts

Oh, sorry. Did not see that. Was just trying to be helpful.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:45 PM
ffr1352
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

93vettepilot,

When i graduated in 1984 most of the auto companies were hiring mainly mechanical and electrical engineers in the top 20% of the class and these engineers learned hundreds of equations/math formulas to get their degrees most of which are used to some degree in auto design.

The biggest change today is with all the sophisticated CAD programs that help do the designing the mathematical formulas/calculations now are built into the programs. Yes, it is still good to know the theory and be able to hand check with the formulas to be able to double check. Sometimes it is easier/faster/cheaper to test the finished product and tweak as needed in which case no mathematical formulas are needed!

Get notified of new replies

To What kind of mathematical equations do you use when designing a car?

Quick Reply: What kind of mathematical equations do you use when designing a car?