Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

[ANSWERED] Corvettes and Longer Warranties

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 05:17 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,802 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Default [ANSWERED] Corvettes and Longer Warranties

Original question is here.

jvp asked

Have you considered further differentiating the Corvette from the rest of the Chevy brand, by perhaps extending the bumper-to-bumper warranty another year and/or 12,000 miles? Perhaps make it on a par with Cadillac’s warranty?
Tadge answered

Compared to other high performance cars. the Corvette is already has much lower operating costs, and a very competitive warranty, Our standard warranty includes:
  • Scheduled maintenance for two years or 24,000 miles
  • Bumper to bumper warranty for three years or 36,000 miles
  • Powertrain warranty for five years or 100,000 miles
In addition to the organizational impracticality of having a very different Corvette warranty than other Chevy products, it's important to note that there's a lot of fine print associated with auto warranties. Some manufacturers have impressive headlines, but when you read the fine print you see much content is excluded from coverage, or the warranty is void if you use the car on the track. We are especially proud to say when Chevrolet certifies a car for track performance, we stand behind the warranty - even the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty - even for track use.

Also, I can assure you that we do not design any product to just live through the warranty period. We do our best to design vehicles that last as long as practical. We know some Corvettes have been on the road for over 60 years, and we would like the cars we are building today to be driving around in 2075!

Tadge Juechter
Chief Engineer - Corvette

Last edited by jvp; 02-04-2015 at 05:28 PM. Reason: changed colors
Old 01-30-2015, 10:06 AM
reasonable suspicion
Melting Slicks

Received 324 Likes on 247 Posts

Lol, is this the question he decided to answer? Lol
Old 01-30-2015, 10:08 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by reasonable suspicion
Lol, is this the question he decided to answer? Lol
If you've paid attention to how this section is working, it's the question the group decided to send him last week. So he answered it.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:30 AM
LAddams
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't see that question in the poll. Seems a pretty weak question for an engineer, ok question for the head of marketing. Cmon guys come up with some real questions. Huge opportunity for this forum, ask the guy some questions appropriate to the chief engineer!
Old 02-02-2015, 09:44 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by LAddams
I didn't see that question in the poll. Seems a pretty weak question for an engineer, ok question for the head of marketing. Cmon guys come up with some real questions. Huge opportunity for this forum, ask the guy some questions appropriate to the chief engineer!
This was the previous (actually first) week's question, FWIW. But I agree with your sentiment completely.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:44 AM
Tony1M
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LAddams
But, as you can see, the two major questions for this and next week are (except for technical advice on how to "treat" the LS7), IMO, NOT engineering questions, unless this weeks parts question was submitted in the following verbiage. Considering that the "lifespan", at least in years, for the Vette is far longer than all your non-sports car lines/models, why don't/shouldn't you design the lifetimes of all its parts -- particularly parts such as the EBCM, which is critical to ABS and stability control -- to be much much longer?

But even if the question were worded exactly as above, its answer would STILL be a political/financial one. Almost certainly any part in the vehicle could be "engineered" to last far far longer. But although this claim is debatable (and has in fact been incessantly debated ever since Henry Ford went to the scrap yard to determine which parts on his vehicles had been "engineered" TOO WELL), this thread is neither the time nor the place for it.

IMO, "Tadge's" most recent answer is typical of what practically any new-car salesman would say to a potential customer who had posed the identical question about extending the normal warranty. I believe that this does not bode well for what we hope "his" answer might be to the most recently submitted parts question, which is, again, IMO, NOT an engineering question. I hope I'm wrong. We'll soon see.

One thing I AM certain of is that Tadge will not be the person who makes the decision of whether or not GM will produce, or contract out the production of, or make drawing/specs freely available to companies who might produce, discontinued C5 parts.

Another non-engineering question the forum might want to submit is the following. Do GM VIPs who own 1997-2000 C5s get the same answers to their parts/warranty questions "at the parts counter" (assuming they'd actually go to the parts counter at a local dealership, which is by itself a monumental stretch of the imagination) as those asked by non-VIP owners? (I've already taken a wild stab at the answer, but I'm going to keep it secret, to protect national security.)

Last edited by Tony1M; 02-02-2015 at 04:27 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 02-07-2015, 02:00 PM
acheman8
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

He shoulda just said "no."
Old 02-14-2015, 02:14 PM
11B250
Melting Slicks

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

I appreciate the response, but he didn't even give an answer. He just said Chevy already has a goo dwarranty on par with other perf vehicles... lol
Old 02-21-2015, 12:31 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I appreciate Mr Juncter"s time to read and answer the question.

As far as warranty and running costs the corvette has been way ahead of the competition. Besides the beautiful looks, amazing performance and excellent purchase value..the low running costs are way ahead of the competition.

The gmepp warranty as it becomes available would be a smart purchase as it's value for long term ownership is excellent.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:33 PM
SHM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Perhaps GM might consider extending the power train warranty just for the LS7 engines for those of us who have cars such equipped? It would give us all more security because this has been such a major issue. Just a thought. It would be nice if they did. I know GM has had hidden campaigns in the past. Especially in the 1980s. I know, because I owned a Citation X-11 HO that had a number of them applied.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:17 AM
tbogdan
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

The 2016 Limited Power Train Warranty dropped to 5 years/60,000 from 5 years/100,000. Also, the Complete Care dropped to 2 oil changes and tire rotations, as long as they are done within 2 years or 24,000 miles. It is in the 2016 Brochure if you would like to verify. I just bought a 2016 Z51 and was disappointed in Complete Care vs. my experience with Audi and BMW. Audi and BMW include ALL scheduled maintenance for 4 years/50,000 miles. It would be nice to see Corvettes in a simlilar maintenance class. Having cars properly maintained by certified dealers for the first 4 years/50,000 is a contributing factor to higher resale value, and lead to a more meaningful Certified Preowned program. It also allows the buyer an easy way to document warranty compliance, as all maintenance records are accessible across the dealer network for the duration of the bumper to bumper warranty period. For a car that has MSRP's ranging from the $60's - $100's, this should be a consideration. I know it is unusual for US manufacturers, but perhaps Corvettes and maybe even some Cadillacs could justify this. Just a thought.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:34 AM
SHM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tbogdan
The 2016 Limited Power Train Warranty dropped to 5 years/60,000 from 5 years/100,000. Also, the Complete Care dropped to 2 oil changes and tire rotations, as long as they are done within 2 years or 24,000 miles. It is in the 2016 Brochure if you would like to verify. I just bought a 2016 Z51 and was disappointed in Complete Care vs. my experience with Audi and BMW. Audi and BMW include ALL scheduled maintenance for 4 years/50,000 miles. It would be nice to see Corvettes in a simlilar maintenance class. Having cars properly maintained by certified dealers for the first 4 years/50,000 is a contributing factor to higher resale value, and lead to a more meaningful Certified Preowned program. It also allows the buyer an easy way to document warranty compliance, as all maintenance records are accessible across the dealer network for the duration of the bumper to bumper warranty period. For a car that has MSRP's ranging from the $60's - $100's, this should be a consideration. I know it is unusual for US manufacturers, but perhaps Corvettes and maybe even some Cadillacs could justify this. Just a thought.
I'm soooooo glad I have that 5/100K PT. Considering mine has a LS7. I have just under 40Kmi and did a complete fluids swap at the dealer. I've put a fair amount of mileage on, so I figure it's a good precaution. Hoping doing things like this will extend life and increase value. Even though a lot of stuff isn't needed for nearly 100Kmi.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:18 PM
Harris
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
Too bad they won't help us with the cooling issue on the 2015 A8 transmissions
Old 02-08-2016, 03:46 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Harris
Too bad they won't help us with the cooling issue on the 2015 A8 transmissions
And too bad folks decided to Necro this thread and then post something that didn't really line up with the topic.

Get notified of new replies

To [ANSWERED] Corvettes and Longer Warranties

Quick Reply: [ANSWERED] Corvettes and Longer Warranties