Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

DI impact on valves

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 10:43 PM
vettman96
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Default DI impact on valves

Is there any issue known with deposit buildup on the back side of the intake valves due to not having a port injection system?
I have read about possible issues but have seen nothing definitive as it would apply to the LT1 powerplant.

Is GM aware of, and if so do they have any plans for correction with the intake valve coking issue present in the direct injection platforms as a result of the PCV system. Many members of the community are seeing an excessive amount of oil and carbon deposit buildup on the intake valves after only 5,000-10,000 miles and worse with even higher mileage engines on the C7. While I understand the purpose of the PCV system as it relates to emissions, with the introduction of direct injection there is no longer a cleaning process in place that would be naturally present such as from a port injection system. ( I extracted this addition per request).

Last edited by vettman96; 06-26-2015 at 05:17 PM. Reason: addition by request
Old 02-10-2015, 10:26 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by vettman96
Is there any issue known with deposit buildup on the back side of the intake valves due to not having a port injection system?
I have read about possible issues but have seen nothing definitive as it would apply to the LT1 powerplant.
I assume you are asking what GM plans to do about the evident direct injection oil "coking" issue. if that is the case, I am fully on-board with this being the next question that deserves an answer. I would consider asking the question like this though:

Tadge,

Is GM aware of, and if so do they have any plans for correction with the intake valve coking issue present in the direct injection platforms as a result of the PCV system. Many members of the community are seeing an excessive amount of oil and carbon deposit buildup on the intake valves after only 5,000-10,000 miles and worse with even higher mileage engines on the C7. While I understand the purpose of the PCV system as it relates to emissions, with the introduction of direct injection there is no longer a cleaning process in place that would be naturally present such as from a port injection system. This issue may be caused by several factors, possibly excessive blow-by from engine blocks with cylinders "out-of-round" (as several shops aftermarket companies have confirmed already) or dealerships that may be overfilling the oil during routine maintenance. I personally have an alarming amount of buildup after only 22,000 miles and I do not have a dry sump configuration which I understand makes the issue even more evident. Many members are installing aftermarket "Oil catch cans" as a makeshift solution to this growing concern. Are any alternative solutions being considered such as a factory installed vacuum pump for future models that may be able to regulate the amount of crankcase vacuum/pressure or a way to control the amount of engine oil that is being pushed back in to the intake system? If there are no current plans at future technology to resolve this issue, would GM consider offering an intake valve cleaning under warranty or through a technical service bulletin at certain mileage intervals to restore the fuel economy and performance lost due to this evident problem?

Thanks,

Anthony

Last edited by FYREANT; 02-13-2015 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:29 AM
atljar
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 277 Posts

This isn't just a GM issue, many other manufactures have the same issue with carbon buildup. Most of them are using a walnut blasting service to clean out the gunk while leaving the cylinder heads on the car. Interested in his response!
Old 02-13-2015, 12:23 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Default Vote!

This question was added to the poll for the week ending 13 February. Vote here!
Old 02-15-2015, 06:26 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

well, now that the Z06 track temp question has been asked, maybe we can get this one on the poll for upcoming week since it was second in line?
Old 02-27-2015, 01:30 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

This should have been re-added to the poll for this week..

Perhaps next weeks poll then?
Old 02-27-2015, 02:04 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by FYREANT
Perhaps next weeks poll then?
Yeah, it looks like this one got kinda lost in the shuffle. Keep it discussed and we'll poll it up next week. But there are some other really good C7 questions that have popped up recently, too.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:24 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Default Vote!

Added to the poll!
Old 03-06-2015, 01:40 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

I am really curious to see what GM/Tadge has to say about this. While this is a widespread issue with more than just Vette's or Chevy, that doesn't mean that an answer to the issue doesn't exist. Maybe it is as simple as adding a vacuum pump to regulate the PCV. Either way, IMO the current state of the coking issue is unacceptable. C'mon GM! This is your flagship car!
Old 04-07-2015, 10:55 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Can we get this one back in the poll this week by chance?
Old 04-08-2015, 08:12 PM
joshvetteg
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very interested in this!
Old 06-16-2015, 09:43 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by joshvetteg
Very interested in this!
I wish there was more interest in this question. Maybe now that some of the higher profile questions have already been asked this one will get some attention again
Old 06-18-2015, 09:29 AM
CPhelps
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

I wish there was more interest in this question. Maybe now that some of the higher profile questions have already been asked this one will get some attention again
It's definitely an interesting question. Early on when we heard the LT1 would be DI, we heard they redesigned the PVC system to be so effective as to prevent the oil coking. I don't know that I've seen any reports of LT1s with the issue yet, but as you mentioned, there are definitely reports of oil in the intake and full catch cans...
Old 06-18-2015, 09:41 AM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

I definitely find the DI and carbon build up issue very interesting, especially now that Corvette has gone into the DI world. VW and BMW have been doing DI for awhile now and it's an issue there, as well.

I'd like to know if the auto manufacturer's really believe that the "solution" is just an intake and/or cylinder head cleaning once, twice, or more before you reach 100,000 miles, as if some sort of new scheduled maintenance procedure. If that's the case, I'm really not interested in DI on a street car.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:24 PM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 417 Posts

This is a great question.

Should definetly win this round hands down. At least it better.

I am not new to DI cars and my past FI euros coke like SOBs... Although it's not a huge deal for me getting walnut blasting every 35/40k for about $350 a pop, it just blows my mind that not one manufacturer has developed a good solution for this.

The newest offender on the block is Ford's Eco-boost lineup.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:51 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by \Boost Monkey/
This is a great question.

Should definetly win this round hands down. At least it better.

I am not new to DI cars and my past FI euros coke like SOBs... Although it's not a huge deal for me getting walnut blasting every 35/40k for about $350 a pop, it just blows my mind that not one manufacturer has developed a good solution for this.

The newest offender on the block is Ford's Eco-boost lineup.
Sure hope so. I am excited at how the voting going this week so far. I am curios though if this question is selected to send to Tadge, would we send just the inital question that Vettman96 posted, or possibly my response to his inital question, or maybe even a combination of both?
Old 06-26-2015, 01:55 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

would we send just the inital question that Vettman96 posted, or possibly my response to his inital question, or maybe even a combination of both?
We'll send him what's in the initial post. If the OP wants to edit that and change his wording or what have you, he's more than welcome to do so before Sunday morning. If you think that it's important to do that, feel free to PM him and suggest it.

Get notified of new replies

To DI impact on valves

Old 06-26-2015, 02:57 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by jvp
We'll send him what's in the initial post. If the OP wants to edit that and change his wording or what have you, he's more than welcome to do so before Sunday morning. If you think that it's important to do that, feel free to PM him and suggest it.
Thank you, I have messaged him about it since I feel it is critical to include some of the directly related questions and points I mentioned about this topic.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:01 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

This question has won the poll, but due to the GM office shutdown (for 2 weeks), I won't be sending it to Tadge until after he returns. I've put it up as "Asked"; just know that it hasn't been sent yet.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:44 PM
09_BSM_Z51
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I had a furd ecoboost. It was the main reason got rid of it for the ls3 corvette. I hope GM has a real remedy. I had never seen the amount of soot on a catted exhaust as I had with the 3.5tt whacko-boost. Absolutely ridiculous. I'm pretty sure my catless 13B rotary RX7 had a cleaner looking exhaust system than my f150 and the rotary ran really rich.

Quick Reply: DI impact on valves