Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

[ANSWERED] C6 Z06 Question for Tadge Juechter

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 05:42 PM
08 ATOMIC-Z
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

If GM is interested in checking, they can open my untouched and stock 2008 Z...
Old 03-15-2015, 11:25 AM
vray
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 08 ATOMIC-Z
If GM is interested in checking, they can open my untouched and stock 2008 Z...
Or mine.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:03 AM
SHM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Except for a CAGS skip shift, mine is completely stock.

Oh, I forgot....I wore out the OEM Goodyears and switched to Michelins. No need for any other upgrades after doing this! HUGE improvements had in every area of handling, steering, braking and acceleration!

Last edited by SHM; 03-16-2015 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Forgot about the major tire upgrade
Old 03-16-2015, 02:25 PM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

My thoughts:
  • My 2004 Toyota Sienna has a crack in the dash. I recently got a letter from Toyota stating that they are replacing all cracked dashes, even though the vehicle is out of warranty and 11 years old. This single part goes all the way across from one side to the other and will not be a cheap fix. Toyota is going above and beyond the warranty in this case.
  • I will pass out if GM takes the same approach with the LS7 engine failure issue. The warranty is what it is, and GM provides an amazing amount of car for the money. Anything that happens after the warranty expires is on our dime, and that has never been a secret.
  • I think the best thing that GM can do now is recommend a plan of action for LS7 owners. I mean, this is a VERY high performance engine, and if I owned an LS7 I would not think that spending $3,000 for peace of mind would be very far out of line. However, if I were to spend my money, I would feel better if I knew that GM's engineers studied the issue and recommended a solution. Maybe they could do the owners a favor and provide the testing for the fix.
  • I think the engine failure rate may be high compared to the LS2 and LS3, but not necessarily high for all cars (from what I have read). Plus, I'm sure the LS7 is run very hard at the track. Most engines never see that kind of extreme use.
  • For the record, I would LOVE to own a C6 Z06, and I would just add the additional cost for an engine fix to the total cost of ownership. For a car THAT fast, I think it comes with the territory (but not always, of course).
Old 03-16-2015, 04:10 PM
AZDANZ06
Drifting

Received 145 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
My thoughts:
  • My 2004 Toyota Sienna has a crack in the dash. I recently got a letter from Toyota stating that they are replacing all cracked dashes, even though the vehicle is out of warranty and 11 years old. This single part goes all the way across from one side to the other and will not be a cheap fix. Toyota is going above and beyond the warranty in this case.
  • I will pass out if GM takes the same approach with the LS7 engine failure issue. The warranty is what it is, and GM provides an amazing amount of car for the money. Anything that happens after the warranty expires is on our dime, and that has never been a secret.
  • I think the best thing that GM can do now is recommend a plan of action for LS7 owners. I mean, this is a VERY high performance engine, and if I owned an LS7 I would not think that spending $3,000 for peace of mind would be very far out of line. However, if I were to spend my money, I would feel better if I knew that GM's engineers studied the issue and recommended a solution. Maybe they could do the owners a favor and provide the testing for the fix.
  • I think the engine failure rate may be high compared to the LS2 and LS3, but not necessarily high for all cars (from what I have read). Plus, I'm sure the LS7 is run very hard at the track. Most engines never see that kind of extreme use.
  • For the record, I would LOVE to own a C6 Z06, and I would just add the additional cost for an engine fix to the total cost of ownership. For a car THAT fast, I think it comes with the territory (but not always, of course).
Since you do not own a C6 Z06, you have no idea what people have gone through who do own these cars. BS from dealerships, BS from GM, BS from GM Warranty People, and then let's not forget blown engines, out of spec heads and rebuild costs & R&R, time, travel, money, and worrying about not if it's going to happen but when. 89% of the members here who had their heads inspected were out of spec, this is from model years 2006 through 2013, is this a coincidence or a grand scale screw up on GM's behalf? Us owners are ultimately eating a **** Sandwich in the end, that does not leave a good taste in your mouth. So this is not what comes with the territory of owning an expensive performance car that should have been built right from the beginning and/or corrected with a recall and/or reimbursement to us owners who are out of pocket for repairing their flaw. Don't worry though, GM has created a storm of angry owners who are fed up with them doing nothing, these same people are in the process of doing something about it.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:41 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

Tadge,

No offense intended, but personally, I don't see much value to the "Ask Tadge" forum.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:41 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Default Closed

I appreciate everyone keeping this civil and on-topic for the most part, but I think the thread has run its course. If GM (via Tadge or anyone else) provides me more data, I'll post it up here.

Quick Reply: [ANSWERED] C6 Z06 Question for Tadge Juechter