Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

Motor Trend 2015 Z06 vs. 2015 GT-R Nismo

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 07:47 PM
Bwright
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 159 Likes on 77 Posts

Default Motor Trend 2015 Z06 vs. 2015 GT-R Nismo

Tadge,

You mentioned in this week's answer to the Ask Tadge question on overheating that there are, "Lots of interesting back stories behind recent media tests." In light of that, what are your thoughts on the recent Motor Trend test of the new Z06 vs. the GT-R Nismo at Willow Springs? Any interesting back stories on that or any other recent media tests?

Thanks in advance,

B
Old 02-22-2015, 07:56 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

This is an interesting question, and good spot by BWright on what Tadge said.

For discussion's sake, the original Motor Trend article is here, and their YouTube vid to go with it is here:

Good stuff. Let's get this chatted up here.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:14 PM
lawdogg149
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts

I agree. Something about Randy's talk of this car contradicted so much he had said with the Road Atlanta review he did. I would be interested in this being asked.

Make a post over in the C7 Zo6 section with your question and a link. There is way to many people over there that kind find there way over here. But leave the trolls out. JVP has done a good job over here kicking them out.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:17 PM
The Highlander
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Its simple... if the GTR outsold the Corvette, the Corvette would be AWD Twin Turbo DCT.... since it doesn't it is what it is. Remember its a money maker. The car is beautifully designed and its selling well.... No need to change it...

Besides, the Z06 can really be a daily driver.. the nismo, not so much.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:12 AM
kilpatds
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was the vette even aligned correctly?

(Edit: by the end of the day)

Last edited by kilpatds; 02-23-2015 at 01:41 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:44 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by lawdogg149
I agree. Something about Randy's talk of this car contradicted so much he had said with the Road Atlanta review he did. I would be interested in this being asked.
Handling concerns of the Z06 aside (which I also share, BTW), I find it interesting that a car that's heavier, with less HP, less grip, and worse aero than the McLaren tested on the same day pulled a faster lap than it.

It's something that makes you go, "Hmmm...."

Last edited by jvp; 02-23-2015 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:09 PM
raj
Drifting

Good question, Bwright, and will be interesting to get Tadge's take on this.

The way I see it, the Z06 lost that race because of its tepid high-end acceleration. It out-braked and out-cornered the GT-R just about everywhere but fell on its face in the the straights. Not to say that that's acceptable for a car with the superior power-to-weight ratio, but handling wasn't its Achilles heel, regardless of the commentary around its tendency to oversteer.

Originally Posted by jvp
Handling concerns of the Z06 aside (which I also share, BTW), I find it interesting that a car that's heavier, with less HP, less grip, and worse aero than the McLaren tested on the same day pulled a faster lap than it.

It's something that makes you go, "Hmmm...."
According to the MT magazine test of the 650S Spyder, it had mismatched tires (Direzionale in front, Asimmetricos in the rear) which lead to significant understeer. Can only speculate what it could've done without this issue.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:48 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by raj
According to the MT magazine test of the 650S Spyder, it had mismatched tires (Direzionale in front, Asimmetricos in the rear) which lead to significant understeer. Can only speculate what it could've done without this issue.
Hrm, I hadn't noticed that; thanks for clearing that up. One can indeed only speculate how that happened with the McLaren's tires and whether the car was shipped that way to MT.

I intend to put this question on the board for voting on Friday because I think it's important and interesting. My gut tells me there's still more to this story though. So it might be a slightly "rigged" election.

Last edited by jvp; 02-23-2015 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Eye kant spel
Old 02-23-2015, 03:55 PM
kilpatds
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by jvp
Well, to quote from the Motor Trend channel
Originally Posted by MT
This thing is making 600hp, so Nissan says. And we're getting that amount, even though we're in California, because we're using Octane Booster
(provided by nissan, as per reddit).
Originally Posted by clago on redit
The stuff the Nissan engineers gave us. I trust them.
That sounds like the Nissan engineers were present? Anyone know if GM had any engineers there?

Last edited by kilpatds; 02-23-2015 at 04:03 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:04 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by kilpatds
That sounds like the Nissan engineers were present? Anyone know if GM had any engineers there?
Well that's an interesting find. And no, no GM engineers were present. I know for a fact that GM doesn't have engineers on-site when a car comparo is happening. They give the magazine/reviewer/etc the keys and essentially say, "Bring it back in one piece, please."

The only time GM is present is if they're putting the event on. Such as the Road Atlanta thing back in October, or the Spring Mountain thing earlier this month (or late Jan). Otherwise, they let the car speak for itself.

Octane boost, huh? Interesting indeed.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:14 PM
lawdogg149
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts

Got the magazine in the mail today. Its amazing that it shows the three cars like they are competing against each other for best lap time. Only to find out that they dont even report a time for the mclaren. They also did a separate article all together on the mclaren. Im a betting man that it got its but handed to it by both the GTR and Zo6 and motor trend didn't have the guts to print it. The cover plainly says "who does it the fastest?" page 44
Attached Images  
Old 02-23-2015, 10:16 PM
raj
Drifting

Originally Posted by lawdogg149
Got the magazine in the mail today. Its amazing that it shows the three cars like they are competing against each other for best lap time. Only to find out that they dont even report a time for the mclaren. They also did a separate article all together on the mclaren. Im a betting man that it got its but handed to it by both the GTR and Zo6 and motor trend didn't have the guts to print it. The cover plainly says "who does it the fastest?" page 44
The McLaren ran a 1:25:88 (documented on MT's youtube channel), not far off the Nismo's blistering pace. It is strange though that the magazine article didn't report the time especially since it was authored by Randy himself. My hunch is that they didn't think the time was representative of what the car could do given the mismatched tires.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:31 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Default Vote!

Add to the poll.

(note: The moderator may make "Moderator's Preference" and submit this one regardless of the poll results... )
Old 02-27-2015, 01:10 PM
raj
Drifting

Originally Posted by jvp
Add to the poll.

(note: The moderator may make "Moderator's Preference" and submit this one regardless of the poll results... )
Doesn't look to be much of a contest so far!
Old 03-01-2015, 03:06 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

This question was asked. Stay tuned!
Old 03-06-2015, 05:04 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Answered here.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:48 PM
04_Z06_CE
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im Sorry but the mclaren is in a league of its own VS the Nismoto or whatever they call it and the Z06

Get notified of new replies

To Motor Trend 2015 Z06 vs. 2015 GT-R Nismo

Quick Reply: Motor Trend 2015 Z06 vs. 2015 GT-R Nismo