86 c4 engine ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 11:25 PM
ddonaldson
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 86 c4 engine ?

Ive recently traded my way into a 1986 vette with a fresh rebuilt

motor that was unfinished. Im wanting to know what i would have to do to this motor so the instrament cluster works like it should. From what i know about it now its an older chevy 350 block with vortech heads high rise intake with a carburator. I wanna get rid of carb what can i do? All wires are still there an uncut

Last edited by ddonaldson; 04-18-2015 at 03:07 AM. Reason: add pic
Old 04-18-2015, 04:52 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Originally Posted by ddonaldson

motor that was unfinished. Im wanting to know what i would have to do to this motor so the instrament cluster works like it should. From what i know about it now its an older chevy 350 block with vortech heads high rise intake with a carburator. I wanna get rid of carb what can i do? All wires are still there an uncut

note i have never swapped tpi to carb but here are some initial considerations. no doubt this isnt a full list but perhaps others who have carb'd would be able to help you reverse it.

looks like u have the L98 engine with a different intake. if u want it to be stock, then first find out, using your vin number i think, if the car was early or late 86. I beleive the L98 changed from iron to aluminum head in 86.

Once you know that, post a wanted ad on the forum for full TPI intake setup from either early or late 86 depending on what u r.

I do not know if you will have all the original throttle/cruise control cables or if they will have been altered but you might need that as well.

Also you will have to see if your engine harness still has the wiring for the iac and the tps.
Old 04-18-2015, 04:54 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

edit: i thinkni misunderstood your question....i think u want to keep everything as is but make the dash work as it was still a tpi....in which case my comments below are of no help. sorry i do not know how to do that or if it can be done.

Originally Posted by ddonaldson

note i have never swapped tpi to carb but here are some initial considerations. no doubt this isnt a full list but perhaps others who have carb'd would be able to help you reverse it.

looks like u have the L98 engine with a different intake. if u want it to be stock, then first find out, using your vin number i think, if the car was early or late 86. I beleive the L98 changed from iron to aluminum head in 86.

Once you know that, post a wanted ad on the forum for full TPI intake setup from either early or late 86 depending on what u r.

I do not know if you will have all the original throttle/cruise control cables or if they will have been altered but you might need that as well.

Also you will have to see if your engine harness still has the wiring for the iac and the tps.
Old 04-18-2015, 05:03 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-2900
Old 04-18-2015, 05:11 PM
ddonaldson
Intermediate

Yea you had it right im wanting to go from the carb back to tpi. From what i was told it suppose to be a crate, but ill check the numvers in a couple of days. On rd trip to rescue my brothers truck in florida.
Tnx ill post soon
Old 04-19-2015, 11:38 AM
project C4
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

you will need this to start the TPI venture with those Vortec heads.
makes for a good combo though.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-3817
Old 04-19-2015, 07:15 PM
ddonaldson
Intermediate

Wow expensive but looks like its worth doing tnx if i do that i might as well look up edelbrock tpi to go with it. Im still gonna run the numbers an figure out what it is an peal that intake off an take a peek inside an get a better idea. But if i do all that won't i have to re-cam it? I am more firmilier with carbs vs tpi an injection
Old 04-20-2015, 08:21 AM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

..... First , identify what you have there ... should be some numbers on the block pad in front of the passenger cylinder head ... the rest of the numbers are on the back of the engine on the block's bellhousing flange ... then , decide where you want to go with this project ... personally , I wouldn't waste ANY money on a Tuned Port Intake manifold ... look into a FIRST Fuel Injection set up or Holley Stealth Ram ... obviously , you will need one to fit the Vortec bolt pattern ... if it is a crate motor , the cam in it is probably pretty mild ......

Last edited by C409; 04-20-2015 at 08:41 AM.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:31 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

the Eldebrock manifold AND runners are going to cost you $1,000 bucks for the TPI/vortec setup.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:33 PM
ddonaldson
Intermediate

Well got back from my rd trip. I tried to read the numbers on the back of the block, all i got was a bunch of dirt. On the front id plate by lect i found the last couple of my vin number which makes me beleive that i have the original motor to that car. But i didnt find an id number an the vin numbers looked like they where done by hand. Does gm hand stamp vins on the block? Ran the numbers on heads, an what i got was a 96-up 1.94/150 68cc vortech heads. Someones done some work but why an has anyone even been inside the motor? So should i just try going stock or find a new motor? Fire this motor off an see what i got? Or pull it an rebuild it the way i want?
Old 04-20-2015, 08:25 PM
project C4
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

anything is possible. before I decided to build the 400 that in in my car now I considered just building on top of the existing short block that was in my car. the motor only had 40k miles on it.
built vortec heads are cheap great performing heads. Your motor may run pretty good as it is. Its pretty easy to get 350hp out of a 350 with vortec heads. The fact that is has a performer RPM air gap manifold might be a clue.

Last edited by project C4; 04-20-2015 at 08:27 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:50 PM
ddonaldson
Intermediate

Yea i beleive your right. i got to talking with my machinest an my motor might be a polished turd. I think im gonna pull it out an mic it all out. My machinest says he might have a double tbi set up with some nasty heads. Might just trade out with him. Anyone running something like that?
Oh an tnx to all for the info. I think im gonna keep this one so i wanna do it right an still be worh something.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:10 PM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

........ FYI ... there's a thread in the parts for sale section for a TPI Big Mouth intake base with large runners for Vortec heads ........

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...brock-tpi.html

Last edited by C409; 04-22-2015 at 02:13 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 86 c4 engine ?

Quick Reply: 86 c4 engine ?