Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

C7 Z51 A8 transmission cooler upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 08:52 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Supposedly ther is a rear subframe spoiler under the car that ships with the car as it can't be shipped installed on the car carrier.

Is it possible the lower rear subframe spoiler is not being installed and that's why the z51 A8 s are overheating on the track?

The manuals don't get the rear subframe spoiler so the techs might not be installing it at the dealerships on z51 A8s.

I'd look into this if your A8 z51 transmission is overheating.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:12 AM
Car54
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Default 2016 Z51 A8 Trans Cooler

I just visited my local Chevy parts counter to get part numbers and drawings for the 2016 Z51 A8 Trans Cooler in front and back and the lines that connect them. We had a VIN that showed it was indeed an A8 but no drawings showed up of the front cooler. Since I have not actually seen a 2016 Z51 A8, can anyone that has confirm that the front trans cooler is really there? If it is there, has anyone actually pulled up the drawings and part numbers of the cooler and line. I know Tadge has said that a "kit" would be available thru GM Performance Parts by the end of the year. I am trying to get ahead of that date.

thanks

bill
Old 08-13-2015, 02:25 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Car54
I just visited my local Chevy parts counter to get part numbers and drawings for the 2016 Z51 A8 Trans Cooler in front and back and the lines that connect them. We had a VIN that showed it was indeed an A8 but no drawings showed up of the front cooler. Since I have not actually seen a 2016 Z51 A8, can anyone that has confirm that the front trans cooler is really there? If it is there, has anyone actually pulled up the drawings and part numbers of the cooler and line. I know Tadge has said that a "kit" would be available thru GM Performance Parts by the end of the year. I am trying to get ahead of that date.

thanks

bill
I wouldn't put too much hope on what Tadge said. I have been hearing about performance parts line for a while and nothing has happened.
I doubt you can use the OEM hard lines unless you plan to dismantle the car. Others already tried to do this (using Z06 lines) and eventually gave up. you better off using flexible steel braided lines and better quality aftermarket cooler.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:08 PM
OldJedi
Drifting

Received 614 Likes on 336 Posts

I took everyone's suggestions and started a case with customer service. I explained that my car was overheating during track use. I met with the dealer last Friday and I agreed to leave the car with them tomorrow for a week. I told them that they will not see a problem with the overheating in daily driving even in hot stop and go traffic but it will definitely overheat on the track. She said that the primary Corvette Tech would check the codes on the car. I spoke with the Corvette Tech and he told me that the Z51 was not designed for track use just the ZO6. So Iam not expecting a lot to happen but we will go through the motions.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:58 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

The Z51 is the "handling upgrade" for the base car...it's designed for track use (HPDE or Autocross).

Start looking for another technician...
Old 02-25-2017, 11:32 AM
Luke42_02
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 544 Likes on 192 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Has anyone heard anything further on this?
Old 02-26-2017, 08:58 AM
SEE7 Z51
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Luke42_02
Here's the latest garbage from GM on mine after almost 2 years of communication and false statements that something was going to be done about it:

I have reviewed your Service Request again with the Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center. I support the decision that was previously made and communicated to you. I apologize that the decision was not in accordance with your wishes, however, this is the final decision of General Motors and we will no longer address additional communications on this subject. Please feel free to contact us again with any other concerns you may have outside of this issue.

Anybody else get resolution or an upgrade??
Old 02-26-2017, 11:46 AM
Car54
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Luke42_02
Several of us that have 2015 cars have already added the A8 trans cooler up front and the larger Z06 cooler for the rear with the smaller Z51 fan. You can follow the build thread here:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...oling-kit.html

In the last post in the thread there appears to be a glimmer of hope that the GM dealer may soon be able to install it....for a price.

bill
Old 02-27-2017, 01:18 AM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by SEE7 Z51
Here's the latest garbage from GM on mine after almost 2 years of communication and false statements that something was going to be done about it:

I have reviewed your Service Request again with the Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center. I support the decision that was previously made and communicated to you. I apologize that the decision was not in accordance with your wishes, however, this is the final decision of General Motors and we will no longer address additional communications on this subject. Please feel free to contact us again with any other concerns you may have outside of this issue.

Anybody else get resolution or an upgrade??
I was just told there is now a notice (as of February 1st) indicating an upgrade will be available shortly for both the manual and automatic transmission to add the second cooler. No exact prices yet but the parts for the automatic should be available around the end of march (parts for the manual are available now).
The following users liked this post:
SEE7 Z51 (02-27-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 01:05 PM
Luke42_02
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 544 Likes on 192 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Thanks guys, the other thread was exactly what I needed, but I had not been able to find it previously.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:12 PM
SEE7 Z51
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jay_Davis
I was just told there is now a notice (as of February 1st) indicating an upgrade will be available shortly for both the manual and automatic transmission to add the second cooler. No exact prices yet but the parts for the automatic should be available around the end of march (parts for the manual are available now).
Wow!! Please keep us posted if you hear anything else!!

Thanks
Old 02-27-2017, 06:43 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by SEE7 Z51
Wow!! Please keep us posted if you hear anything else!!

Thanks
I had updated the thread that is in the main C7 section, I just didn't update this one.

As I know more I'll post it.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:35 PM
Jrider
Intermediate

Default Let's get to the truth of this bulletin

Jay,

I just got an email from Gandrud Chevrolet regarding my request for them to contact Chevrolet Performance Parts. Here is their response:

"Chevrolet Performance Parts has no plans to pursue Z51 C7 automatic cooling kits. I was just informed by the people in charge there."

I have also tried to find service bulletins through several dealers regarding the February 1 announcement. They claim they now nothing of any memo.

I know that the dealer network is a mixed bag of folks who either are on top of things or are not-- meaning they don't read anything GM sends them!

Gandrud is willing to put a package together at an attractive price for a group buy. I am ready to move forward. If there really was a Feb bulletin, then it is in someone's hands. Will you pursue that now for the good of us waiting or if you want to PM me the source, I will. We are at over a month later and I suspect that whatever this bulletin is, it may be interpreted by the dealer differently than we think- but who knows?!

Thanks in advance for your efforts.

J
Old 03-07-2017, 03:51 PM
Jrider
Intermediate

Default Secondary radiator for Manual transmission cars

I am wondering if the Feb announcement was related to the release of an upgrade currently for manual trans cars to lower the water and oil temperatures.

Here is the link to that cooler: http://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/84037858.html

The way the description is written is confusing and may be thought of as a trans cooler. Here is the GM Performance description:

This radiator adds additional cooling capability to manual transmission
Corvettes that see regular track use. This kit includes the lines and
hardware necessary to mount and plumb this additional radiator to
the front of any manual transmission-equipped Stingray. This includes
base Stingray, Z51, and Z06 cars. With the addition of this kit to a Z51
manual transmission car, the radiator fluid temperatures are lowered
25°F along with the engine oil temperatures down 15°F. Addition of the
Z06 grill (84115259 / 84115258) further enhances the cooling capacity of this kit with radiator fluid temperatures lowered 27°F and engine oil temperatures down 18°F.

I have requested from Gandrud to check into the Feb 1 announcement to see if it is related to this.

J

Quick Reply: C7 Z51 A8 transmission cooler upgrade