Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

An optional cooling pack for C7 (track use or other)

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 05:15 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Default Update

Hey gang -

Tadge pinged me today and let me know he's just back from vacation and actually started the answer on the plane ride back yesterday. He hopes to have something to me in the next couple of days.

Thanks for your patience.
Old 05-15-2015, 02:48 PM
Magister Ludi
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Don't know if this belongs here, but I would dearly love to see a similar solution for the A6/8 Z51's as well.
Old 05-15-2015, 03:26 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Thank you everyone for contributing to the discussion and voting, Tadge answered here, and hooray!! he seems to be working on solutions!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-or-other.html
Old 08-23-2015, 10:15 AM
G fix needy
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

It would be preferable to have an adequate ( or even somewhat improved ) cooling package as an option from the factory. For the price GM sells the C7 Z06, I am willing to compromise by doing "cool down" laps while tracking. There will still be enough hot laps on a track day consisting of 7 half hour sessions. If Porsche sold Caymans with "just" 500 hp, Tadge may have concerns about Z06 sales. (I'd buy a 500 hp Cayman if it didn't overheat. I currently track a 2008 Z06 & it does get hot. A valve spring broke out of warranty, but luckily the engine didn't self destruct. I replaced all the springs, & shift at 5,500 - 6,000 rpm on track since)
Old 08-25-2015, 01:17 PM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Default staying cool

During my first day at Thunder Hill with a manual C6, I hit 315 F with the engine oil temps. After spending a couple of weekends installing a Dewits radiator plus a C6 ZO6 oil cooler positioned in front and a Setrap cooler for the power steering fluid tucked in the bay, the engine compartment cooled down. From then on, the engine oil did not go over 265 F. Personally I chose not to spend a lot of time on our tracks, but if a person was really serious about doing this here in California, the differential and manual tranny fluids could have used additional cooling too.
My business partner of 15 years was an IMSA driver who made a comment to me one day. He said, “ the car that stays the coolest on the track, stays out there the longest”. I guess this was a basic remedial 101 statement, but I’ve remembered it. All in all, I can’t see how today’s C7ZO6 with a super-charger can be expected to do anything but run very hot on road courses.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:08 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirk Miller
During my first day at Thunder Hill with a manual C6, I hit 315 F with the engine oil temps. After spending a couple of weekends installing a Dewits radiator plus a C6 ZO6 oil cooler positioned in front and a Setrap cooler for the power steering fluid tucked in the bay, the engine compartment cooled down. From then on, the engine oil did not go over 265 F. Personally I chose not to spend a lot of time on our tracks, but if a person was really serious about doing this here in California, the differential and manual tranny fluids could have used additional cooling too.
My business partner of 15 years was an IMSA driver who made a comment to me one day. He said, “ the car that stays the coolest on the track, stays out there the longest”. I guess this was a basic remedial 101 statement, but I’ve remembered it. All in all, I can’t see how today’s C7ZO6 with a super-charger can be expected to do anything but run very hot on road courses.
...and the car that stays there the longest earns the driver the most experience, which is really what it's all about.

A lot of the folks here don't get it. It doesn't matter that you can drive the car at 80% and still pass Miatas without overheating. The point is to drive near the limit, that's why we are on a private roadcoarse. It's hard to develop skill and have fun if the car is restrained at a stroll-like pace. It doesn't matter how fast the stroll is.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:59 PM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!
Received 365 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
...and the car that stays there the longest earns the driver the most experience, which is really what it's all about.

A lot of the folks here don't get it. It doesn't matter that you can drive the car at 80% and still pass Miatas without overheating. The point is to drive near the limit, that's why we are on a private roadcoarse. It's hard to develop skill and have fun if the car is restrained at a stroll-like pace. It doesn't matter how fast the stroll is.

Did you see APEX95 post earlier today ?
Old 08-29-2015, 02:25 AM
Sunny_M3
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This really needs to be answered. I ordered my C7 Z06 and am still not 100% convinced that I am making the right decision. If I ever decide to take the car to the track, I don't want to experience intense overheating. For a car I am about to pay north of 100K for, it really needs to be rock solid. Furthermore, in my opinion, a Z07 package should not exist if the car isn't meant to be taken to the track. Tadge...PLEASE ADDRESS THIS!!!!!!
Old 08-29-2015, 06:29 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Sunny_M3
This really needs to be answered.
It was already answered. Sunny this is the second or third time I've corrected you in "Ask Tadge" about bringing up the beaten-to-death overheating topic here. Stop. Otherwise I'm going to just begin nuking any and every post you submit here.

That goes for everyone else as well.

Quick Reply: An optional cooling pack for C7 (track use or other)