Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

[ANSWERED] An optional cooling pack for C7 (track use or other)

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 12:58 PM
lawdogg149
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate@VanBortelChevy
How many minutes go by before these Z06 owners are getting the high temp message?

I don't know of any production car that can take more than 35 to 40 min of continuous track time before oil temps reach a dangerous level.
4 to 8 mins bud.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:06 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

How many minutes go by before these Z06 owners are getting the high temp message?

I don't know of any production car that can take more than 35 to 40 min of continuous track time before oil temps reach a dangerous level.
Without trying to be disrespectful or hostile, I'm guessing you don't know much about track days. First, HPDE track events are typically 20 - 25 minutes long. Some stretch to 30, not 35 - 40. Second, Porsche's regularly run all day @ HPDE's without overheating issues of any kind. 911 Porsche's, not some dedicated race cars modified for the track, out of the showroom Porsches!
The following users liked this post:
Theo Harris (09-21-2016)
Old 05-20-2015, 09:43 AM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Received 845 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by lawdogg149
4 to 8 mins bud.
PM sent
Old 05-20-2015, 11:57 AM
Nate@VanBortelChevy
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 336 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by lawdogg149
4 to 8 mins bud.
I did not know this. That is not good!

Originally Posted by TKOGTO
Without trying to be disrespectful or hostile, I'm guessing you don't know much about track days. First, HPDE track events are typically 20 - 25 minutes long. Some stretch to 30, not 35 - 40. Second, Porsche's regularly run all day @ HPDE's without overheating issues of any kind. 911 Porsche's, not some dedicated race cars modified for the track, out of the showroom Porsches!
I don't have much HPDE experience, just one event under my belt, and lots of chit chat from customers. I do understand that most HPDE on-track sessions are 15 to 20 minutes. I also believe that instructors and solo students have open track times, and depending on the event or day it can be as long as 45 min to 1 hour long. The C5 oil temps start to reach the higher limit after 15 to 20 minutes of hard driving. I only know this to be true at our home track, Watkins Glen. I also know that the majority of Corvette models (pre-C7) needed upgraded brake pads for more than a few laps. Many guys installed aftermarket radiators, and oil coolers to help keep the heat down as they gained experience and can drive their cars harder. I'm surprised to hear that the 911 can be taken to the track right off the showroom for extended track time. You learn something new every day.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:03 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

It's hard to see the big differences between a C6 ZR1 and a new Z06. I have seen the ZR1 run hard for 30 minutes sessions, Even ZL1's do it with no issues. Why this car?

I like my old workhorse C5 Z06, still the benchmark for reliability on track.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:05 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

So do BMW M3's, beat the crap out of those things.

My 99 Z28 never ran hot on track with an LS6 under hood, never.
Theo Harris (09-21-2016)
Old 05-29-2015, 05:34 PM
Bwright
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 159 Likes on 77 Posts

Yeah, you should probably let the folks in Posts 31 and 40 here know that: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...na-laps-2.html

While you're at it, these guys could use some of your highly selective vision: http://rennlist.com/forums/991/76531...-on-track.html

It is the rare talent of some individuals to know all by seeing some.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:02 PM
Jrider
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default On to the Solution

I just got back from tracking my C7 Z51 A8 at Mid-Ohio. I recorded the Car Health with the PDR and have opened a case with GM regarding high Auto Trans Temperatures. I was seeing temps up to about 279. The normal operating temperature in 70 deg to 85 deg ambient I am seeing is 150-160 deg. Of course, this is normal and not spirited driving.

I am not seeing reports of the A8 trans overheating on the Z06, but more the engine water temperature. So, there are two differences over the Z51 and it depends on whether you have the Z07 package or not. Most of the tests I have seen are on Z06 Z07 packages. They have a larger rear cooler, bigger fan, bigger duct plus the front-mounted cooler.

I guess we won't know how the 2016 A8 Z51's will be improved with the front mounted trans cooler and perhaps some revised programming.

In the meantime, who has a Z06 with or without a Z07 package that can take pictures of the front cooler and ESPECIALLY the routing of the lines from that cooler all the way back?

It would be great to see how we might 'roll' our own solution....

Thanks!
Old 05-29-2015, 06:09 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Bwright
Yeah, you should probably let the folks in Posts 31 and 40 here know that: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...na-laps-2.html

While you're at it, these guys could use some of your highly selective vision: http://rennlist.com/forums/991/76531...-on-track.html

It is the rare talent of some individuals to know all by seeing some.
Interesting find on the 911.

It appears that you need the center radiator on the 911 to cool down properly at the track.

This new 911 model, and I presume all GT3s will have it:
https://www.pca.org/news/2015-01-21/...gts-club-coupe
Old 06-08-2015, 02:48 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by crimlwC6
Buy a bigger radiator. If you want to track the car in hot weather or not have to do cool down laps, you buy a bigger radiator and probably a stand alone oil cooler. Your warranty can't be voided for installing a bigger radiator.
What crimlwC6 said.

If you look in the aftermarket, there are a lot of solutions for both better water and oil coolers available which are compatible with the C7 engine and transmission - just look for heavy-duty towing packages for the Silverado. The issue is finding sufficient volume and running the lines, but there is a lot of space in front of the tipped-forward radiator for you (or your mechanic) to exploit. If you are running in the street, this is not really an issue, but if you want to maximize track performance, you need to beef up ALL the cooling circuits - it's just that simple.

Also, if you use a "Show and Go" license plate mount, you can stow the license plate under the radiator for track day and not have any blockage.

I would bet the Z06 will be fixed next year (2016 models), but I think the Z51's may require some truck technology and DIY ingenuity...I'm just say'in.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:07 PM
Theo Harris
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What happened to GM Performance Parts line? I'd think they'd make a killing on supplying Corvette owners with performance goodies. GMPP radiator, GMPP heat exchanger, GMPP thermostat, GMPP stage 1 or stage 2 (smaller pulley, injectors, tune). GMPP Track Pack - includes radiator, larger transmission cooler, extrude and honed manifolds and an ECU cal. People would buy it!
Old 10-27-2015, 02:30 AM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Default decided not purchase

Originally Posted by jvp
Original question is here.
We own two GM cars; 2008 C6 and 2015 Volt. Today we stopped in at Concord Chevrolet and looked again at the 2015 black Z06 they've had there for 6 or 7 weeks. I've run my vette in a number of HPDE 4 events with NASA and NCRC on our three local tracks: Laguna Seca, Sonoma Raceway and Thunderhill. After reading these threads I've decided I'll not be going back to Concord's dealership to negotiate for the 2015 Z as I had hoped. Will seriously be looking at a Porsche instead. Hope Tadge will be hearing this.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:29 AM
Jrider
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Customer Service Request - Overheating Update

So after months of waiting and escalating to the regional manager for my request to have my car transmission overheating fixed, here are the results.

- Process started 9-18-15
- Ticket was closed a total of 3 times with only the last time leaving me a voice message that said they were closing it with no explanation.
- I was promised a call back with status about 4 times with an exact date, none of the dates were ever kept.
- I talked to local dealer who was pleading the case with the District Manager. With GM customer service after multiple calls requesting escalation, I was told they would escalate to the District Manager. Te District Manager for Akron, Ohio has never contacted me with any information or resolution.
- The only information ever given to me was by a service manager who thought they were going to make a kit, but didn't know when.
- Basically, I was blown off at every point in the process.

Next steps from us won't be so friendly, but more formal.

This is not what I expected when I spent my $80k which included the Z51 Track Package.
Old 10-29-2015, 01:56 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirk Miller
We own two GM cars; 2008 C6 and 2015 Volt. Today we stopped in at Concord Chevrolet and looked again at the 2015 black Z06 they've had there for 6 or 7 weeks. I've run my vette in a number of HPDE 4 events with NASA and NCRC on our three local tracks: Laguna Seca, Sonoma Raceway and Thunderhill. After reading these threads I've decided I'll not be going back to Concord's dealership to negotiate for the 2015 Z as I had hoped. Will seriously be looking at a Porsche instead. Hope Tadge will be hearing this.
Thunderhill in the summer is a no no, in fact I would say 6 months out of the year. The car runs hot but within limits 9 months out of the year for Sonoma and Laguna Seca which are a bit cooler. So yes, it is a bit bruttal to track it.

If you can break under 2 minutes at Sonoma, or 1:40 at Laguna you would probably overheat it most of the time.

Have you considered buying it in white? :p
Old 07-16-2016, 06:12 PM
maringreg
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C 7 Z51 7 Speed (tranny)?

Tadge,
I've had my 7 speed tanny temperature get up around 300 degrees a few times. Twice it happened on the same stretch of highway as we crossed Nevada cruising at triple digits. Is that normal? If so, is there any additives or fluid that we could change to?
Old 09-18-2016, 01:18 PM
SgtRod
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Wow...With all due respect, lets see the list of reasons for the overheating..
1. Cooling system hose not hookedup
2. conservative ECU
3. Transmission choice
4. Front plate mount
5. Only 5% of cars experience it.
6. Hood
7. Supercharger lid

Overheated for many magazine comparos out there...and a blown engine!

What a black eye for chevy with this car. Now all 15-16 owners become subjected to the aftermarket's PREDATORY PRICING for these fixes that include cutting up your car and voiding warranty. Im not a track fiend but at this point, I'd be affraid it will overheat in FL 95 degree himidity and stop and go traffic.

Its a sad day. The flagship corvette losing sales to a porky hellsnatch but this is where we are 2yrs later...Throw the GS out there to offer a solution to track goers...minus 190hp.

I know this may sound like a rant, but $80k is a lot of money, and NO, everyone with it to spend doesnt have more money than brains.

Chevy says they will offer solutions to current owners but they are very secrative with what they are. Maybe they are testing solutions...but I suspect that it will be an "improvement" and not a "solution"..and then (refer to #s 1-7).

Eventually, according to a previous statement made by Tadge, z owners will get this.."As I have answered in other questions on the Forum, we always try for backwards compatibility, but can’t restrict progress by making that a mandate."

If they make it right by replacing superchargers, if it comes down to it... I will eat crow and sign up fir another 15yrs of nothing but Chevy...but until then.. Stay thirsty my friends.

Last edited by SgtRod; 09-18-2016 at 01:19 PM.
Theo Harris (09-21-2016)
Old 09-18-2016, 06:08 PM
truth.b
Drifting

Received 119 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by SgtRod
Wow...With all due respect, lets see the list of reasons for the overheating..
1. Cooling system hose not hookedup
2. conservative ECU
3. Transmission choice
4. Front plate mount
5. Only 5% of cars experience it.
6. Hood
7. Supercharger lid

Overheated for many magazine comparos out there...and a blown engine!

What a black eye for chevy with this car. Now all 15-16 owners become subjected to the aftermarket's PREDATORY PRICING for these fixes that include cutting up your car and voiding warranty. Im not a track fiend but at this point, I'd be affraid it will overheat in FL 95 degree himidity and stop and go traffic.

Its a sad day. The flagship corvette losing sales to a porky hellsnatch but this is where we are 2yrs later...Throw the GS out there to offer a solution to track goers...minus 190hp.

I know this may sound like a rant, but $80k is a lot of money, and NO, everyone with it to spend doesnt have more money than brains.

Chevy says they will offer solutions to current owners but they are very secrative with what they are. Maybe they are testing solutions...but I suspect that it will be an "improvement" and not a "solution"..and then (refer to #s 1-7).

Eventually, according to a previous statement made by Tadge, z owners will get this.."As I have answered in other questions on the Forum, we always try for backwards compatibility, but can’t restrict progress by making that a mandate."

If they make it right by replacing superchargers, if it comes down to it... I will eat crow and sign up fir another 15yrs of nothing but Chevy...but until then.. Stay thirsty my friends.
I would like to see a list of links to the "many" magazine comparo articles where the Z06 actually overheated. The blown engine was due to a bad batch of oil filters allowing debris into the engine. Which chevy has address through the 500 mile oil change break in interval. Also a Z06 will NOT overheat in stop & go traffic or in normal driving no matter where you live in the US. Lastly, while I agree the pre-2017 Z06 have marginal headroom in their cooling capacity I still question how big of an issue this is for "most" drivers.

And I define overheating as some combination of the following: limp mode/power reduction mode, Coolant +250F, Oil: +290F, or Trans: +280F.

Here's a video and link to a C7 Z06 being driven hard in 95F degree weather for a full HPDE session:

Link: Thread Link --> Another 1:59 @ VIR but this tiem in 95F Heat

Last edited by truth.b; 09-18-2016 at 06:09 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To [ANSWERED] An optional cooling pack for C7 (track use or other)

Old 09-18-2016, 11:33 PM
SgtRod
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Im happy that your not having issues with your car but you cannot deny this is an issue just because your not having it. I found a coulple magazine links as well a a CF thread using the same phrase of "many" magazines. Motortrend had a couple seperate instances, car and driver had one and a lot of magazines quoted them.

Found a couple links where the car overheated on the road...one on a highway. I stand behind what I said.

Again, Im relieved that some people are having good experiences but there are countless posts on here of people that are not...

Last edited by SgtRod; 09-18-2016 at 11:34 PM.
Old 09-19-2016, 11:12 PM
maringreg
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by maringreg
Tadge,
I've had my 7 speed tanny temperature get up around 300 degrees a few times. Twice it happened on the same stretch of highway as we crossed Nevada cruising at triple digits. Is that normal? If so, is there any additives or fluid that we could change to?
It might have just been the type of surface used in that part of Nevada, because it hasn't happened since, but did get hot in both directions on that same stretch of highway.

Great footage of the Z-06 on the track!!
Old 09-22-2016, 08:34 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by SgtRod
Im happy that your not having issues with your car but you cannot deny this is an issue just because your not having it. I found a coulple magazine links as well a a CF thread using the same phrase of "many" magazines. Motortrend had a couple seperate instances, car and driver had one and a lot of magazines quoted them.

Found a couple links where the car overheated on the road...one on a highway. I stand behind what I said.

Again, Im relieved that some people are having good experiences but there are countless posts on here of people that are not...
Have never seen any report of real overheating on the street or highway. Have seen some people report overheating on track. Randy Pobst overheated the oil the first time he drove the Z06 at the press intro at Road Atlanta in the fall of 2014. That car went into limp home mode not just a reduced power level due to pulling timing.

I haven't run into anybody at the track who has actually over heated one although there is always somebody who knows somebody who did.

Based on some of the Randy Pobst experience I upgraded my new 15Z with the GMPP Secondary Radiator before I took the car to the track the first time. I have run the car for a total of 13 track days this year with the last couple being run with ambient temps in the low 90s. The car was run hard all the time and I never saw an oil, coolant or transmission temp that was close to overheating.

Other than postings on the forum and a few experiences with Motor Trend there is more discussion than actual fire. Do a search and find count the actual number of reported over heatings (not the thousands of repeat postings of the same event). Is there a problem, Yes. Is the problem as severe as some of the vendors and forum members have made it out to be? No.

I was surprised that GM claimed there were as many as 5% of the cars had some sort of track overheating issue. I would have thought it was in the 1% range. In those 13 track days I have put about 1200 track miles on the car or about 25% of the total miles on the car.

Bill

Quick Reply: [ANSWERED] An optional cooling pack for C7 (track use or other)