C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Oil dip stick

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 05:19 AM
Norunn Gunnes
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil dip stick

I have built up the engine of my 1997 corvette tpi. It was put on a wrong flywheel, and after that I can not have oil dipstick in. Because it gets eaten up. That has happened several times. It looks like a s. What could be the problem.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:47 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Not enough info. Obviously more than a flywheel replacement was done, as the dipstick sits in pretty much the middle of the motor. What were the mods?
Looks like an S, but no actual burrs, just deformed? Are you forcing the dipstick in? Did you add headers?
More info needed...
Old 05-25-2015, 04:06 PM
Norunn Gunnes
8th Gear

Originally Posted by grantv
Not enough info. Obviously more than a flywheel replacement was done, as the dipstick sits in pretty much the middle of the motor. What were the mods?
Looks like an S, but no actual burrs, just deformed? Are you forcing the dipstick in? Did you add headers?
More info needed...

I ran a few mil faulty flywheel. It turned out that the right flywheel should not be in balance. I drove with a wheel that was in balance. This with the result that there was a terrible vibration in the car. It was so bad that I could not see anything in the rearview mirror. The man who should repair this drove the car too hard on RPM, for my taste. Something I do not. it was after this incident
It was after this episode engine started eating dipstick. About 4 cm. We switched dipstick several times but the same thing happened.
Is there a possibility that something may have been crooked inside the engine
Old 05-25-2015, 04:12 PM
Norunn Gunnes
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Norunn Gunnes
I ran a few mil faulty flywheel. It turned out that the right flywheel should not be in balance. I drove with a wheel that was in balance. This with the result that there was a terrible vibration in the car. It was so bad that I could not see anything in the rearview mirror. The man who should repair this drove the car too hard on RPM, for my taste. Something I do not. it was after this incident
It was after this episode engine started eating dipstick. About 4 cm. We switched dipstick several times but the same thing happened.
Is there a possibility that something may have been crooked inside the engine

The dipstick is stuck so i have to use force to get it out. The first time we got it out in one piece, shape as an S. The second and Third time the dipstick broke. About 5 cm.
The engine is buidd on the original 370. To effect 400Hp
Old 05-25-2015, 05:06 PM
Socko
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

hard to get at what is being talked about here. The flywheel has nothing to do with the dipstick. There is nothing to do with 370 and a 97 vette either. not ci not hp, so this is a confusing situation.

Only thing that could hit it would maybe be a rod or crank. Possible that the stroke was changed and its causing interferance or something? I am fairly sure the exposed part of the dipstick is below the scraper so no idea how that would work, i guess part of the tube could be mauled in there as well.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:21 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by Socko
hard to get at what is being talked about here. The flywheel has nothing to do with the dipstick. There is nothing to do with 370 and a 97 vette either. not ci not hp, so this is a confusing situation.

Only thing that could hit it would maybe be a rod or crank. Possible that the stroke was changed and its causing interferance or something? I am fairly sure the exposed part of the dipstick is below the scraper so no idea how that would work, i guess part of the tube could be mauled in there as well.
I'm not the only lost one here then thankfully. 370 what? Cubic inches? So it was stroked? 370 HP to 400...? A base model doesn't come with 370HP.
What completely was done to the motor internally? And headers? Maybe the dipstick is in wrong now?
Old 05-25-2015, 05:48 PM
Norunn Gunnes
8th Gear

Originally Posted by grantv
I'm not the only lost one here then thankfully. 370 what? Cubic inches? So it was stroked? 370 HP to 400...? A base model doesn't come with 370HP.
What completely was done to the motor internally? And headers? Maybe the dipstick is in wrong now?

Oh i am sorry. Its a 1987 TPI. It was modified to 400 Hp
Old 05-25-2015, 06:44 PM
Socko
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

should ask them guys in the c4 forum they might have an idea.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:23 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Op like Socko said you are in the wrong section I understand English doesn't seem to be your primary language but what you are typing is very confusing. before you post please go back and re read your post and re post so it makes more sense.. Alot of people will skip over it because it's difficult to read/ understand. Ill click on the report button the mods can get this in the correct section. This is for 1997-2004 Corvettes. Good luck
Old 05-25-2015, 09:19 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Nice post Chicago
Old 05-26-2015, 02:37 AM
Norunn Gunnes
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Chicago1
Op like Socko said you are in the wrong section I understand English doesn't seem to be your primary language but what you are typing is very confusing. before you post please go back and re read your post and re post so it makes more sense.. Alot of people will skip over it because it's difficult to read/ understand. Ill click on the report button the mods can get this in the correct section. This is for 1997-2004 Corvettes. Good luck

Ok thank you
Old 05-26-2015, 12:36 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

you'll have to drop the oil pan, it can be done with the engine in the car, to find out exactly whats going on.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:18 PM
Norunn Gunnes
8th Gear

Originally Posted by mtwoolford
you'll have to drop the oil pan, it can be done with the engine in the car, to find out exactly whats going on.

Ok Thank you for Your answer. I will try that. I will have to change oil anyway.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:31 AM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

It sounds like the outside tube the dipstick goes into got bent or twisted. That might make the end of the dipstick turn the wrong direction and point too close to the crank and get hit by one of the rods or the crankshaft. The end of the dipstick only needs to go down the inside edge of the pan into the oil, not point to the center of the oil pan where it will get hit. Maybe the wrong flywheel balance vibrated it loose and turned it till it got hit.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:57 AM
Norunn Gunnes
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Klondike
It sounds like the outside tube the dipstick goes into got bent or twisted. That might make the end of the dipstick turn the wrong direction and point too close to the crank and get hit by one of the rods or the crankshaft. The end of the dipstick only needs to go down the inside edge of the pan into the oil, not point to the center of the oil pan where it will get hit. Maybe the wrong flywheel balance vibrated it loose and turned it till it got hit.
Thank you for Your answer
Old 05-28-2015, 05:47 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

It certainly seems like an issue with an incorrect oil dip stick and wrong tube for sure.

Where are you located? Is the oil pan stock? Do you have the original "FIRST" dip stick that was ruined? If it was a GM dip stick it would have an eight digit part number on it probably. What is that number?

Depending upon the car and a couple other pieces of information it could be wisest to maybe buy a used engine oil dip stick and the tube for the car from someone here on the forum.

You might want to maybe accumulate parts before dropping the oil pan so you could just do it once. If it's an issue with the tube, once you remove it, you'll be likely be unable to drive it until repaired.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 05-28-2015 at 05:58 AM.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:22 PM
Norunn Gunnes
8th Gear

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
It certainly seems like an issue with an incorrect oil dip stick and wrong tube for sure.

Where are you located? Is the oil pan stock? Do you have the original "FIRST" dip stick that was ruined? If it was a GM dip stick it would have an eight digit part number on it probably. What is that number?

Depending upon the car and a couple other pieces of information it could be wisest to maybe buy a used engine oil dip stick and the tube for the car from someone here on the forum.

You might want to maybe accumulate parts before dropping the oil pan so you could just do it once. If it's an issue with the tube, once you remove it, you'll be likely be unable to drive it until repaired.
No the first dip stick was thrown away. Iam located in Norway. I bought the dip stick at a local special shop in Sarpsborg www.aarnes.no
I suppose they know the right parts. I will try to check the tube and buy one if it goes wrong again.
Thank you for answer

Get notified of new replies

To Oil dip stick

Quick Reply: Oil dip stick