Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

[ANSWERED] C7 Z51 A8 Transmission Cooler Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 04:49 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Achmed
Question guys (not an Ask Tadge question request but for the guys in this thread that have tracked their Auto C7's), does it help or make any difference whether you leave it in D (auto mode) or use the paddle shifters in M mode? I know engine oil temperature will be cooler if you manually higher lower gears, but strictly speaking of the transmission fluid temp here?

I've tracked mine 3 days in total now, and the last time the outside temperature was unusually high for where I live (about 90 F), and that was the first time I got a transmission overheat warning and "limp mode" where it automatically shifts at 5500 rpm.

1) I'm thinking next time would make any difference whether I used paddles or not?

2) Also do the Z06 rear quarter inlets make much/any difference? I'm running the original ones but would switch if it helps.

3) Does it make any difference if you do a transmission fluid flush earlier than what's recommended in the manual? Would doing so help at all?

Mine is a 14 A6 Z51.

Thanks.
The short answer is no. If you drive at an intermediate level pace plus then the transmission will overheat even with Z06 scoops and even in ambient as low as 60F. The only way to eleminate this problem is to add a secondary cooler up front. I have done this in steps and tried many things until it was solved with a secondary cooler.

Last edited by 5thGear; 05-25-2016 at 04:50 PM.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:25 AM
Car54
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Achmed
thanks for the info! there's an additional transmission cooler available for the front of the car? Is there a link with an example? I wasn't aware but open to trying it out.
take a look at post number 1 in this thread. Is it available yet? It is not available as a "kit" yet.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:14 PM
Achmed
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Car54
take a look at post number 1 in this thread. Is it available yet? It is not available as a "kit" yet.
ah I see, well in my case it's an A6 (which I think overheats less than the A8?) and I've only had one case of it so far (on a hot day), so I haven't thrown in the white flag yet, I'm just more aware of the potential now and will watch the transmission temp going forward. I'm guessing I'll be fine as long as I keep it to 15-20 min sessions and use paddles on the hotter days. Time will tell.

FWIW we were using A8's with paddles (without instruction to shift up early) at Spring Mountain level one (which granted is not long periods of very aggressive driving, but is still hot ambient temperature)

Last edited by Achmed; 05-26-2016 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:01 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

Also depends on the track. The Spring Mountain course is easier on the trans that what I normally run, so it took longer to overheat it there, but inevitably it does.
The following users liked this post:
Achmed (05-26-2016)
Old 06-02-2016, 12:53 AM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

And it is now June...and still nothing. Unreal.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:13 AM
Jrider
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A8 Do-it-yourself Kit available

With other forum members, we have created a procedure and a parts kit that has been vetted and tested. It involves the installation of 100% GM parts from the 2016 Z51 A8 car and a few selected components from the Z06 that are optional including the Z06 grille and rear fender vents.

The post is here: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...oling-kit.html

Just a quick shout out to members Car54, AP6954, GAMO, THETA and others for their combined efforts to do what GM wouldn't do.

See post 1 for parts list and 122 for how to obtain it.

More specific procedures, information and photos are coming to further enhance the ability to do the job and at lower cost.

J

Quick Reply: [ANSWERED] C7 Z51 A8 Transmission Cooler Upgrade