Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

[ANSWERED] C7 Z51 A8 Transmission Cooler Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 10:03 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,803 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Default [ANSWERED] C7 Z51 A8 Transmission Cooler Upgrade

Original question is here.

AliZ51 asked:
Is it possible to install the C7 Z06 A8 secondary transmission cooler on a 2015 C7 Z51 A8? If yes, what would it take to get this done? If no, what can be done to bring extra cooling capacity to The Z51 A8 transmission?

Many 2015 C7 Z51 owners are dealing with transmission overheating issues on the track even in low ambient temperatures. The dealers are not able to help or address this issue. We know now that the 2016 Z51 will come with a secondary transmission cooler but what about us (2015 Z51 A8 owners). We do need a retrofit kit and instructions for the dealers for us who purchased the 2015 Z51 package in order to run on the track or spirited canyons drives.
Tadge answered:
One really good thing about the "Ask Tadge" section of the forum is that it focuses attention on issues where we can help customers. This question is a good example. The short answer is yes, the 2016 A8 cooling content can be retrofit on both the 2014 (A6) and '15 cars. You can use most of the production parts for 2016 with a few minor tweaks. Through our Performance Parts organization, we are putting together a kit with the needed material and instructions. It is not a super easy installation, but will be doable by the serious enthusiast. It should be available by the end of this year.
The following users liked this post:
Gonzo (12-31-2017)
Old 06-26-2015, 04:32 PM
Arctic6
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
If the overheating is a fairly constant issue with the A8 on the '14 and '15 models then the vehicle isn't performing as designed when used on the track. The noted overheating has gone beyond anecdotal evidence and is now factually verified. Shouldn't the updated cooling system be covered under a TSB or some such?
Old 06-26-2015, 04:54 PM
OldJedi
Drifting

Received 614 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Arctic6
If the overheating is a fairly constant issue with the A8 on the '14 and '15 models then the vehicle isn't performing as designed when used on the track. The noted overheating has gone beyond anecdotal evidence and is now factually verified. Shouldn't the updated cooling system be covered under a TSB or some such?
That would be really nice but they knew this ahead of time and did not make the change so I doubt they will give it to us for free. But... they will give us a new transmission if ours over cook. Seems cheaper to install the cooler ahead of time than replace over heated transmissions. But what do I know?
Old 06-26-2015, 05:01 PM
descartesfool
Burning Brakes

Received 296 Likes on 155 Posts

Tadge's answer makes it clear they are listening to customer's issues about overheating on track and are going to be first providing a solution for the Z51 A8. Keep the solutions coming I say.

This proves the true benefit of this ask Tadge section. Our cars can only keep getting better from it.
The following 2 users liked this post by descartesfool:
Gonzo (12-31-2017), Maxie2U (04-07-2016)
Old 06-26-2015, 05:33 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

I appreciate the fact that Tadge is taking the time to anwser this question. If this was a debate, he would not win. We have to read between the lines. First, nothing will happen anytime soon. Waiting to the end of the year will not bring solid solution. GM is behind and I doubt that they would start the perforamce part plan anytime soon. When Tadge says that the install will not be easy, I fully agree. You might spend 2k plus on labor alone. So between parts and labor, the cost will be 3 to 4k. GM parts quality is cheap but expensive price wise. Adding insult to injury, the 2016 secondary cooler setup is not guranteed as some Z06 owners with similar setup are already reporting overheating issues. Their fundmentals of the cooling desgin is wrong. The location of primery cooler is wrong and the cooling capacity is wrong. I have consulted a performance shop and a European aftermarkret coolers manfacture and they found the current setup is a joke. This should be a recall since GM goal was to provide a car that can handle track driving by pro driver in 87 F weather when we can easly overheat the transmission in 60F or even lower at an intermediate level skill. They didnt deliver what they have promised and what we paid for. I am gonna talk to the area district manager about a reasonable solution. I didnt pay 80k to park the car for a year until GM sells me an expensive cooling kit with questionable performance. It looks like the aftermarket retrofit is the way to go but GM must take some responsibility.
Tarheels1 (04-02-2017)
Old 06-26-2015, 06:36 PM
C7Z51
Burning Brakes

Location: Never take a girl out for a cup of coffee, the last thing you want her to be is alert and focused. Tampa, FL
Received 74 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Not what I was looking for, it's too vague for me. Time to switch to a Porsche for now.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:02 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Seems like a reasonable response and action from Tadge. Go Tadge!
Old 06-26-2015, 08:28 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

End of the year doesn't help much for this season, not to mention the cost being a complete unknown.

Not for nothing but $4k would be absurd to bring the car up to what it should have been to begin with.
Tarheels1 (04-02-2017)
Old 06-26-2015, 08:51 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jay_Davis
End of the year doesn't help much for this season, not to mention the cost being a complete unknown.

Not for nothing but $4k would be absurd to bring the car up to what it should have been to begin with.
I agree. No disrespect to Tadge and I have said it before, I love the car. The anwser is vague and political. Doesnt show good faith from GM. The car does not meet their own desgin goal. If the anwser was, we will have a proven kit ready for C7 owner in two months and anyone wants it will have to pay $1500 then I would say GM is making an affort. I am an engineer myself, when we produce a product that doesnt meet the perforamce we have promised, we would have to come up with an immediate plan of action and an aggressive time table to execute it. We cannot give vegue anwsers. I hate to say it, the only person who was able to get a quick plan of action from GM for overheating transmission was the person who hired a lawyer. He posted a thread about it and GM traded his car with another C7 manual MSRP to MSRP. Why does it need to come to this to get a reasoble solution!. I am not going to wait to the end of the year to solve this. I moving forward with a different cooling desgin and will make sure that GM will keep the warrenty since all what I am trying to do is to protect the transmission.

Last edited by 5thGear; 06-26-2015 at 11:05 PM.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:19 PM
dmhines
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 144 Posts

If GM offered me an even exchange for an M7 I'd take it. The A6 in my C7 hits almost 240 just commuting to work. The convertible cooling is even more poorly designed.
Old 06-27-2015, 12:06 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by AliZ51
I agree. No disrespect to Tadge and I have said it before, I love the car. The anwser is vague and political. Doesnt show good faith from GM. The car does not meet their own desgin goal. If the anwser was, we will have a proven kit ready for C7 owner in two months and anyone wants it will have to pay $1500 then I would say GM is making an affort. I am an engineer myself, when we produce a product that doesnt meet the perforamce we have promised, we would have to come up with an immediate plan of action and an aggressive time table to execute it. We cannot give vegue anwsers. I hate to say it, the only person who was able to get a quick plan of action from GM for overheating transmission was the person who hired a lawyer. He posted a thread about it and GM traded his car with another C7 manual MSRP to MSRP. Why does it need to come to this to get a reasoble solution!. I am not going to wait to the end of the year to solve this. I moving forward with a different cooling desgin and will make sure that GM will keep the warrenty since all what I am trying to do is to protect the transmission.
I agree. $1500 would be reasonable, but we have no idea as to a cost. I'd also really like to deal with the issue this season rather than having a crippled car.
Old 06-27-2015, 08:43 PM
SEE7 Z51
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I appreciate the fact that Tadge is taking the time to anwser this question. If this was a debate, he would not win. We have to read between the lines. First, nothing will happen anytime soon. Waiting to the end of the year will not bring solid solution. GM is behind and I doubt that they would start the perforamce part plan anytime soon. When Tadge says that the install will not be easy, I fully agree. You might spend 2k plus on labor alone. So between parts and labor, the cost will be 3 to 4k. GM parts quality is cheap but expensive price wise. Adding insult to injury, the 2016 secondary cooler setup is not guranteed as some Z06 owners with similar setup are already reporting overheating issues. Their fundmentals of the cooling desgin is wrong. The location of primery cooler is wrong and the cooling capacity is wrong. I have consulted a performance shop and a European aftermarkret coolers manfacture and they found the current setup is a joke. This should be a recall since GM goal was to provide a car that can handle track driving by pro driver in 87 F weather when we can easly overheat the transmission in 60F or even lower at an intermediate level skill. They didnt deliver what they have promised and what we paid for. I am gonna talk to the area district manager about a reasonable solution. I didnt pay 80k to park the car for a year until GM sells me an expensive cooling kit with questionable performance. It looks like the aftermarket retrofit is the way to go but GM must take some responsibility.
Wow, I agree completely. Sad to see such a short vague answer. Other things to consider on top of the $81K are the dollars spent on track days, hotels, gas, real brake pads, harnesses, harness bar, oil, good brake fluid, track alignment, etc all for only 10 to 15 minute runs.

BTW, I found another problem last week. If you have yellow brake calipers, they turn darker after some spirited braking. Now my fronts dont match the rears, not even close.

PDK-S is in my future if they don't fix this thing soon.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:06 PM
Dale760
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree Ali

GM needs to make a upgrade cooling kit, and cover most of the cost to have it installed on our 2015 C7s by the dealers

Nothing less

DW
Old 06-28-2015, 01:07 PM
dmhines
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Nevada Silver
I agree Ali

GM needs to make a upgrade cooling kit, and cover most of the cost to have it installed on our 2015 C7s by the dealers

Nothing less

DW
Hey. Don't forget us 2014 owners.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:19 PM
Dale760
Racer

Originally Posted by dmhines
Hey. Don't forget us 2014 owners.
I understand, but I would have never waited that long if I owned a new 14 and no solution was made by GM. They would have been taking the car back or something fair after hearing from my attorney In a reasonable amount of time.

I would be pissed

Dale
Old 06-28-2015, 05:15 PM
Skialta
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by jvp
Thank you. Seeing higher Temps this summer on my plain old Non-Z Vert. As in 40 degrees higher. Again, Way cool. and Thanks!
Old 06-29-2015, 12:11 PM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 417 Posts

Answer was basically..."we are working on it".

I am pretty disappointed in this response, and the fact that it is up to us to foot the bill for GM's shortcomings on the car.

Get notified of new replies

To [ANSWERED] C7 Z51 A8 Transmission Cooler Upgrade

Old 06-29-2015, 02:57 PM
5thGear
Drifting

A friend of mine was about to sell his GTR since he had ordered corvette Z06/Z07. He was at two track events here in So Cal where the Z06/Z07 A8 were overheating both engine and transmission after 5 to 10 minute runs. He basically cancelled his Z06 order. It doesn't matter how powerful the car is if you cannot run it more than 5 to 10 minutes without overheating. GM is getting bad publicity and they seem to be okay with it. I wonder if Car and Driver magazine lied when they said that you can run a full tank of fuel with the Z51 A8 on the track without overheating or if they were basically were repeating what GM told them. I emailed the editor couple of weeks ago but didn't hear back.

from C&D article
"GM wouldn’t confirm whether the automatic Corvette is quicker on the track, but the Z51-equipped cars are certainly built for it; they will lap continuously for a full tank of fuel without overheating."

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review

Last edited by 5thGear; 06-29-2015 at 06:37 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:47 PM
Dale760
Racer

A friend of mine was about to sell his GTR since he had ordered corvette Z06/Z07. He was at two track events here in So Cal where the Z06/Z07 A8 were overheating both engine and transmission after 5 to 10 minute runs. He basically cancelled his Z06 order. It doesn't matter how powerful the car is if you cannot run it more than 5 to 10 minutes without overheating. GM is getting bad publicity and they seem to be okay with it. I wonder if Car and Driver magazine lied when they said that you can run a full tank of fuel with the Z51 A8 on the track without overheating or if they were basically were repeating what GM told them. I emailed the editor couple of weeks ago but didn't hear back.

from C&D article
"GM wouldn’t confirm whether the automatic Corvette is quicker on the track, but the Z51-equipped cars are certainly built for it; they will lap continuously for a full tank of fuel without overheating."

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review

I bet they went with what GM told them Ali, and did not run it on the track much, or for very long.

Did you go to Laguna with your car, maybe we can talk about that in another thread, and my thoughts about the corners by the numbers and yours

Cheers Dale

Last edited by Dale760; 06-29-2015 at 10:52 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:52 PM
c7jim
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Wtf Tadge, all we care about is oil temps overheating on track

Originally Posted by jvp
I appreciate your branching out, but the real question all of us new zo6 owners who track is how do we solve the overwhelming issue of oil temps overheating when tracking a car that was marketed as the most capable track car that GM has ever produced. I'm a new owner who is seriously concerned.

Quick Reply: [ANSWERED] C7 Z51 A8 Transmission Cooler Upgrade