Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

[ANSWERED] DI Impact on Valves

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 03:01 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,803 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Default [ANSWERED] DI Impact on Valves

Original question is here.

vettman96 asked:
Is there any issue known with deposit buildup on the back side of the intake valves due to not having a port injection system?

Is GM aware of, and if so do they have any plans for correction with the intake valve coking issue present in the direct injection platforms as a result of the PCV system. Many members of the community are seeing an excessive amount of oil and carbon deposit buildup on the intake valves after only 5,000-10,000 miles and worse with even higher mileage engines on the C7. While I understand the purpose of the PCV system as it relates to emissions, with the introduction of direct injection there is no longer a cleaning process in place that would be naturally present such as from a port injection system.
Tadge answered:
Good technical question vetteman96. The short answer is: No, we have not seen any issue with deposit buildup on the back side of the intake valves due to not having a port injection system.

You correctly point out that the continuous flow of clean air and gas over the intake valve tends to keep it very clean. That has been a characteristic of small block V8's for decades. Of course, appreciation of that characteristic is limited to those who disassemble their engines. Most customers are unaware.

Given that all SIDI engines give up that benefit in favor of other important attributes, we did extensive testing to make sure there were no customer-observable penalties. We intently looked for unusual deposit formation during the entire Gen 5 Small Block development phase (4 years) as well as the 200,000 mile in-vehicle long term testing. We have not seen anything unusual and zero performance degradation. Granted, deposit formation on SIDI engine intake valves is greater than what is seen with PFI engines, but the Gen 5 engines are typical for SIDI engines, and in fact better than other SIDI engines we have benchmarked. So the bottom line is that we believe the carbon build up is only an internal cosmetic issue, not anything that will affect customers over the life of their cars.

Last edited by jvp; 07-24-2015 at 03:06 PM.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:50 PM
vettman96
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
Original question is here.
Sir:

I thank you very much for the concise reply, and also for engineering "one kick a** automobile".
Old 07-24-2015, 07:39 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

So, it does seem that they are actually aware of the concern, but feel that it is of no consequence in relation to power degradation. I'm inclined to not agree with that, but, I'm not the engineer of this car now am I lol.

The part where he says "Of course, appreciation of that characteristic is limited to those who disassemble their engines. Most customers are unaware."

And also where he says "we did extensive testing to make sure there were no customer-observable penalties is GM basically saying "you got no business looking in there anyway"
Old 07-24-2015, 08:05 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by FYREANT
So, it does seem that they are actually aware of the concern, but feel that it is of no consequence in relation to power degradation. I'm inclined to not agree with that, but, I'm not the engineer of this car now am I lol.

The part where he says "Of course, appreciation of that characteristic is limited to those who disassemble their engines. Most customers are unaware."

And also where he says "we did extensive testing to make sure there were no customer-observable penalties is GM basically saying "you got no business looking in there anyway"
Well, anyone that knows anything about engines knows that at some point, this carbon build up will affect performance. At some point the build up would have to hinder valve function. Which of course would lead to wearing of valve seals. There would also be a loss of, or at least disruption in the designed airflow into the chamber. Then, if this carbon flakes off, it gets into the chamber, into the oiling system and all that goes with that. The question is, at what point, and how can it be minimized without disassembling the engine?
Old 07-24-2015, 11:25 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

"At what point, and how can it be minimized without disassembling the engine?"

"the 200,000 mile in-vehicle long term testing. We have not seen anything unusual and zero performance degradation".

Taking Tadge at his word (and at this point not having any reason not to) I think we're good for 200K.... When the first owner surpasses that, or if problems are reported by owners before that, we'll know better by then.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:01 AM
Nithros
St. Jude Partner since 89
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I'm not an engineer either but, based on what he said, I would answer your question as "No". I don't think you can take those two quotes out of context and make 1 + 1 = 3. On your first quote, he is saying most customers will never know nor appreciate how clean the valves are because they will never take their engines apart and see them. On your second quote, he is saying that you as a customer should not experience (observe) any decrease in performance.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:26 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Nithros
I'm not an engineer either but, based on what he said, I would answer your question as "No". I don't think you can take those two quotes out of context and make 1 + 1 = 3. On your first quote, he is saying most customers will nevers know nor appreciate how clean the valves are because they will never take their engines apart and see them. On your second quote, he is saying that you as a customer should not experience (observe) any decrease in performance.
I dont think those quotes are really out of context honestly. But even taking everything that was said at face value, let's face it, this is a known problem in the industry for all DI motors and they know it. The answer was simply put as the benefits of DI outweigh the shortfalls.
Old 07-25-2015, 04:16 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I don't see where that conclusion fits with what he was saying. No customer observable penalties applies equally to people who disassemble the heads and see some build up. Just because there is a visible buildup doesn't mean there are any penalties due to that buildup.

Bill
Old 07-25-2015, 05:44 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I don't see where that conclusion fits with what he was saying. No customer observable penalties applies equally to people who disassemble the heads and see some build up. Just because there is a visible buildup doesn't mean there are any penalties due to that buildup.

Bill
There are other auto mfg's out there who are dealing with this same thing, and are have massive problems with it. I believe BMW was one of them. This is a known concern across all DI platforms. I am not certain what type of performance testing may have been done for this though. I think it would be prudent testing to take one of these cars that has not had a catch can installed, and run it on the dyno every 10-20K (assuming same conditions) and see if the power diminishes. "Customer observable" is the key term here. If the car does indeed lose horse power due to the build up on the valves, and its only a small percentage, then the typical "customer" may not "observe" a difference or problem. because the car would be gradually losing power over a measurable period of time, it's safe to say to the customer would not see a performance degradation as they drive the car on a regular basis and the diminished power is happening at a slow enough rate they won't notice. Take that same customer at 100k or 200k miles, clean their valves to make them like new, and I assure you they will confirm the car feels noticeably different.
The following users liked this post:
Zaro Tundov (10-08-2018)
Old 07-26-2015, 12:28 AM
Millenium 04
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

With direct injected engines there is no fuel coming across the intake valves to wash the carbon away. At 40-75K miles you will need a media blast on the intake valves to remove the buildup.

Some people use Seafoam to try to keep the coking under control.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:51 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Millenium 04
With direct injected engines there is no fuel coming across the intake valves to wash the carbon away. At 40-75K miles you will need a media blast on the intake valves to remove the buildup.

Which was kind of my point. Why not GM make using a liquid top end cleaner part of the the regular maintenance schedule, say as part of the oil change procedure? Seems like it would be a lot better than waiting for it to get bad enough to require walnut blasting. However, he did say they did a 200k mile test, What we don't know is what the valves looked like.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:32 AM
jcthorne
Drifting

Received 423 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Millenium 04

Seafoam and other additives have absolutely no effect on the valve carbon build up problem as they never get near the valves.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:07 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jcthorne
Seafoam and other additives have absolutely no effect on the valve carbon build up problem as they never get near the valves.
Used as a top end cleaner, it is sprayed, poured via vacuum tube, or otherwise injected into the air intake manifold. It follows the same path the air does, thus reaching the back of the valves.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:26 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
Used as a top end cleaner, it is sprayed, poured via vacuum tube, or otherwise injected into the air intake manifold. It follows the same path the air does, thus reaching the back of the valves.
Correct. This is spot on. Essentially works the same way spraying Meth does, which also cleans the valves.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:46 PM
bluestinger66
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did someone say "meth"?
Old 07-26-2015, 11:21 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Old 07-27-2015, 01:05 AM
Millenium 04
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
Bingo

Get notified of new replies

To [ANSWERED] DI Impact on Valves

Old 07-27-2015, 02:56 AM
///ADMAN
Melting Slicks

Received 471 Likes on 307 Posts

Eh. I'm not liking the answer(s) either.

It's less about "Yes, there is a problem and it is happening."
And, more a "Don't worry about it. You won't notice it." approach.

In other words:

You can smoke and still do the things you like. If you never get a chest xray, you'll never see any buildup.
Sure, maybe at some point, the build up will cause a problem and eventually diminish your performance.
But, that's unlikely. The smokers we tested said they felt fine. Year after year. Mile after mile. No problems at all.
The following users liked this post:
Zaro Tundov (10-08-2018)
Old 07-27-2015, 10:45 AM
Clairvoyantwolf
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by ///ADMAN
Eh. I'm not liking the answer(s) either.

It's less about "Yes, there is a problem and it is happening."
And, more a "Don't worry about it. You won't notice it." approach.

In other words:

You can smoke and still do the things you like. If you never get a chest xray, you'll never see any buildup.
Sure, maybe at some point, the build up will cause a problem and eventually diminish your performance.
But, that's unlikely. The smokers we tested said they felt fine. Year after year. Mile after mile. No problems at all.
No, it's more like, "Continue smoking, you won't have any problems till you're 80 years old. We have not tested after that."
Old 07-27-2015, 05:37 PM
whl3
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Catch cans are not some new and innovative technological miracle! I installed them on two previous supercharged DI engines some years ago. If they seem to be the remedy to what the manufacturers recognize as being an issue, why don't they put them on as standard equipment as a relatively simple and cost effective solution?

Quick Reply: [ANSWERED] DI Impact on Valves