C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems with new wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 10:20 PM
dons2012gs
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with new wheels

I have a 2012 gs convertible and I just bought new wheels. I had the wheels installed, balanced and all 4 wheels aligned. I was told by the mechanic that the wheels were non oem and they would need a hub spacer or the wheel will vibrate after 80 mph. Well the vibrating started around 50 and at 70, the steering wheel bounced like a ball. It was difficult to hold on to. I've taken it to many places, tire stores, performance shops and another dealer and after many rebalancing of the tires, I still have the problem. No one but the original mechanic has suggested a hub spacer. Is this my answer or what else can I do? It's frustrating. The performance shop said I had a flat spot on the tires but other than that, all said the tires looked good. I have 11k on the tires and the car. That's probably why the flat spot. Any help would be appreciated.
I was in a bind and drove the car from Missouri to California so it's been checked in 2 states. It took longer to drive since I was speed limited.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:18 AM
bhoch
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Strange. I don't have OEM wheels on my '07. I also don't have any hub spacers and I have zero issues with vibration or alignment problems/tire wear.

Good Luck with getting that resolved. Interested to hear what the fix is.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:23 AM
airmed2
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 190 Posts

Have your tires been "match mounted" and road forced balanced? Match mounting is necessary and may be your problem.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:24 AM
airmed2
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 190 Posts

FYI...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=17
Old 08-03-2015, 07:29 AM
Batman09
Intermediate

Flat spots can be some what balanced out on your typical balancing machines, but you will feel the flat spot when it makes contact with the road. If they are done with a road force balancer, theres a strong possibility they won't balance out correctly....which means a new set of tires.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:30 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

A flat spotted tire needs to be replaced and will cause vibration. Also lift car and use a dial indicater on wheels while turning them to check run out. Also check that the lugs are the proper torque and are not over tightened.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:33 AM
EBvette02
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 36 Posts

Did they remove the clips that hold the rotor to the wheel studs? Sometimes aftermarket rims won't clear the clip.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:02 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Never heard of having to use spacers so the wheels and tires will balance. Sounds like something is wrong with the wheels or tires and a flat spot on the tires sounds like a good reason.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:09 AM
0Luke@tirerack
Former Vendor

Received 148 Likes on 63 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Originally Posted by EBvette02
Did they remove the clips that hold the rotor to the wheel studs? Sometimes aftermarket rims won't clear the clip.
check this first
Old 08-03-2015, 09:19 AM
*Trip*
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

There are only two possibilities..... The tires need to be replaced, or the wheels are defective from the start..... Assuming that the techs were qualified.... And obviously the guy who was suggesting spacers as a fix, had no idea what he is talking about.... (Some people just talk to hear their own voice)....There are plenty of perfectly round aftermarket wheels, but you may have gotten a bad set.....

Personally I would have put the factory wheels back on to compare before I drove for thousands of miles.... Because it would have driven me nuts for my car not to be 100%.....

Plus all that vibration could not be good for your drivetrain or suspension.....
Old 08-03-2015, 09:40 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

All the above infor is good, starting with the tinnerman clips that should/must be removed with many all aftermarket wheels. However, if you were more specific, it's possible that people could easily state that spacers were or were not needed. Such as, what wheels are they? Who made them? What size are they? I'm not sure how you flat spot all four tires, if that is the case, other than doing a fairly long power slide, but as mentioned by one poster, if that is the case, that could easily be your issue and not the wheels. But I'd start with the easy, non-costly stuff and work your way up from there. That means pulling the wheel, one at a time, and checking to see if those retainer clips are still on one or more wheels. If you don't know what they look like, do an advanced search on CF C6 Gen and put in wheel clips.

Come back and tell us what it is/was and how you solved the wheel balance issue.

Oh heck: look at post #6, right around one of the wheel studs is the "retainer" aka tinnerman clip.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1571722100

Last edited by AORoads; 08-03-2015 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:03 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

This problem comes up occasionally. My experience with after market wheels was similar.

I was told that the hub was 1mm smaller than the rims bore. The smallest spacer is 3mm so they wanted to bore the rim, to enable the spacer to work. I declined this suggestion and the tech mentioned that sometimes a bit of tape wrapped around the hub will work, IT DID!

No tinnerman issues either and they used the Hunter system. It was a high end retail custom rim shop. I had the Pfdat street alinement done also and the tech nailed the numbers exactly.
The wheels in my instance where LG rims, World Challenge.

This brings to light the debate of hub centric vs stud centric, not addressing this but thought I would post my story.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:26 PM
dons2012gs
3rd Gear

The suggestion about wrapping the hub has been the advice from the place where I purchased the wheels online. This is the first time I've ever had to replace wheels on a car so I'm not used to having problems these types of problems. The reason I changed the wheels was the original wheels were corroded from brake dust and salt and was more worried about a failure on the road with them than a situation I had some control over. Again, the problem only starts around 65+ mph not all the time. I figure a flat spot would be felt all the time, a balancing issue would be the same. I did have the brakes changed here to Hawk ceramic to cut down on dust which has made the vibration somewhat better but still there. Thanks to all who took time to help and believe me, the last thing in the world I would do is cause harm to my Vette.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:27 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Sometimes OEM is just a easier way to go.

I eventually went back to stock rims due to the offset wasn't right. One side was even with the fender lip an the opposite side the tire bulged out some. Has to do with how the car sits on the frame. With wheels tucked in it is not as noticeable.

Ended up being a hassle and waste of money?
Old 08-03-2015, 10:35 PM
teebee
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 286 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

I think that the wheels on our vettes are "hub-centric" and if the wheel center is bigger than the hub it may not fit properly. I'm thinking a different set of wheels is the key.

What type/brand wheels did you install?
Old 08-04-2015, 02:25 PM
C6David
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Its not really a hub spacer but what your looking for is hubcentric rings to fill the gap between the center bore of aftermarket wheels and the hub on the car. The weight of the wheel should really be set on the hub not the wheel studs. But personally I've never had a problem running wheels without hub rings but I usually have them.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:26 PM
C6David
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

What wheels did you end up getting?

Get notified of new replies

To Problems with new wheels

Quick Reply: Problems with new wheels