C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

new clutch/no start

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 08:47 AM
chancey
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new clutch/no start

I pulled and replaced the clutch in my 90 c4 l98 w/six speed manual.now my car wont start.i thought it was the battery so I charged it to a full charge and now it TURNS but wont start and at times if I turn it long enough I hesr somev rsther loud clanging like something that's turning is thrown off baslance or something.im at a loss here this is my first corvette and I'm new to them in general.could it be something jammed up in side the housing or in my treansmission?i checked the obd but it just gives me a code twelve as usual.any thoughts?I NEED YOUR HELP.also so you know I did a dual mass to single mass conversion.flywheel(single mass) disk,pressure plateand release bearing.i purchased the kit thru ecklers.thank you.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:49 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

I'd think that maybe you need to check and confirm the starter pinion to the ring gear fitment after having the starter bench checked at a local AP store or shop.

Have you tried to push start the car?

This was a DIY install or a "for hire" install? I assumed DIY since you posted here. Were there any concerns/questions that you might have had during the install?
Old 12-01-2015, 09:27 PM
chancey
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
I'd think that maybe you need to check and confirm the starter pinion to the ring gear fitment after having the starter bench checked at a local AP store or shop.

Have you tried to push start the car?

This was a DIY install or a "for hire" install? I assumed DIY since you posted here. Were there any concerns/questions that you might have had during the install?
No I haven't tried to push start it. Yes I did it myself.ive done clutched plenty of times but never in a corvette and never has to deal with any dual mass conversion. As far as the install went I thought it went ok but I got the trans about a quarter inch from flush and threaded the bolts and gently pulled it the rest of the way. Not sure but I suppose it's possible I have jammed it up and the tension isn't letting it turn at the right speed ? Kind of a long shot on that one though. If it as a theft system type deal would it let the car turn at all?another long shot.i tried to get a code from it but all I get is the standard 12 code. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 12-02-2015, 05:43 AM
scrappy76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

So are you saying the engine does crank but cranks slow like its binding?
And it wont fire up. Have you tried shimming the starter since you have changed the flywheel ? Pull the starter back off and bench test it make sure its working correctly. I assume you have bled the clutch, and the vehicle is for sure in neutral.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:31 AM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,741 Likes on 1,049 Posts

Which flywheel and clutch setup did you use?

Several years ago I installed an aftermarket single mass flywheel and clutch in my '96. Supposed to be a direct bolt on for the dual mass setup. Long story short, the overall "stack" was too thick and was binding on the clutch fork when the pedal was depressed. Engine would not start and would spin only a little so no real noise to hear. Of course without the clutch depressed while I was outside the car, I could spin the engine fine by hand. After changing the starter, the battery, shimming, etc all to no avail I decided to pull the transmission and found a bell housing full of shavings off the pressure plate. Had to get a new pressure plate and clearance the clutch fork.

Original "bolt-on parts with the um...."clearance issue"...

A few shavings....

Aluminum pressure plate grinds down rather quickly...

Grind marks on fork...

The second time....

Checking clearance on the second new pressure plate...

Side view of fork after profiling...

If you look close you can see where the clutch fork is clearanced...

Sometimes the pivot ball will cause the fork to interfere, but that was not my case. It was fully seated and was the original bell-housing and stud.

Last edited by 96GS#007; 12-02-2015 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:05 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
Which flywheel and clutch setup did you use?

Several years ago I installed an aftermarket single mass flywheel and clutch in my '96. Supposed to be a direct bolt on for the dual mass setup. Long story short, the overall "stack" was too thick and was binding on the clutch fork when the pedal was depressed. Engine would not start and would spin only a little so no real noise to hear. Of course without the clutch depressed while I was outside the car, I could spin the engine fine by hand. After changing the starter, the battery, shimming, etc all to no avail I decided to pull the transmission and found a bell housing full of shavings off the pressure plate. Had to get a new pressure plate and clearance the clutch fork.
Experienced somewhat the same sort of thing. When my clutch finally gave out, and found that my dual mass was beyond toast, I went for a heavy single mass from Eckler's with a Carolina Stage II sprung hub clutch and PP. Got it all in, went to start it and got one big "clunk". So, immediately thought the flywheel was wrong and used this as an excuse to get what I really wanted, a lightweight steel FW from Spec.
Put that in went to start and got one big "clunk". After everyone else telling me it was the battery, the ground, yada yada. Well, I didn't buy that. Took it out and measured both FW's against stock...no difference.

The culprit was the one little thing that I did not look at...the pivot stud had grooves worn in the side. Located a replacement, reinstalled, and whala...fired up like nothing was ever wrong, and I did love that spec fw, really helped her move out.
Old 12-04-2015, 04:49 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

when I did my dual mass to single mass conversion, the first flywheel I received was for an Fbody with a T56 transmission; they LOOK very similar and will bolt in, but they are not interchangeable with a flywheel intended for use in a corvette with a ZF transmission. I think this confusion is more common than supposed. So, first thing, I would double check the part number of your new flywheel and confirm that it is in fact, intended for use with a ZF trans.

Last edited by mtwoolford; 12-04-2015 at 04:50 PM.
Old 12-04-2015, 04:54 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
So, immediately thought the flywheel was wrong and used this as an excuse to get what I really wanted, a lightweight steel FW from Spec.

and I did love that spec fw, really helped her move out.
my experience exactly

Get notified of new replies

To new clutch/no start

Quick Reply: new clutch/no start