Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

No water temp pocket gauge for Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 06:34 PM
jcthorne
Drifting

Received 421 Likes on 240 Posts
Default No water temp pocket gauge for Z06?

The instrument cluster in the Z06 will not allow engine water temp to be displayed as a pocket gauge. It is displayed as a numeric value in the tour mode info display but not available in sport or track at all.

I understand the base model has a physical water temp gauge where the Z06 boost gauge is so the choice made some sense for the base model but would really like to be able to have water temp as a pocket gauge in sport mode in my Z06.

Any way this could be added as a software update for the instrument cluster?

Last edited by jcthorne; 01-09-2016 at 06:35 PM.
Old 01-17-2016, 03:02 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

I have coolant temp displayed as digital number all the time. Coolant, oil temp, oil pressure, volts in a vertical group just off center. Better than analog readouts because you can actually read the numbers Vs guess.
Bill
Old 03-30-2016, 09:22 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

JC,
You probably have already figured this out but I came across your thread while looking for a previous Tadge answer. You can display water temp in sport or track in the DIC section of the configurable display but not as a pocket gauge. It is set under the performance menu tab.

I picked my Z06 up Saturday at the museum and one of the first things I did on the drive home was set up the sport theme with oil temp and pressure pocket gauges with water temp displayed in the DIC portion.

P.S. Thanks for your review of the Top Flight plate mount since it looks like the least offensive choice.
Attached Images   

Last edited by NSC5; 03-30-2016 at 09:26 PM.
Old 03-31-2016, 05:35 AM
jcthorne
Drifting

Originally Posted by NSC5
JC,
You probably have already figured this out but I came across your thread while looking for a previous Tadge answer. You can display water temp in sport or track in the DIC section of the configurable display but not as a pocket gauge. It is set under the performance menu tab.

I picked my Z06 up Saturday at the museum and one of the first things I did on the drive home was set up the sport theme with oil temp and pressure pocket gauges with water temp displayed in the DIC portion.

P.S. Thanks for your review of the Top Flight plate mount since it looks like the least offensive choice.
You will soon find that the water temp gauge in the center display is mostly useless for real world scenarios. Since the red indicator line is always in the center and the scale numbers move behind it, one has to take their eyes off the driving for far too long to decipher is any change as occurred or if approaching a problem. Heck the digital display in the tour mode is better for track use than those poorly presented rolling ball gages. Its obvious they were presented by a programmer far more interested in gee wiz graphics than anyone that actually dove a car before and might need to use them.

I really would like to see this one sent to Tadge, it actually would not be that hard to fix and is an obvious oversight when they reused the display graphics that were developed for the base car in the Z06.

I find it hard to believe that so few drivers are bothered by the missing gage.
The following users liked this post:
X25 (09-05-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 06:35 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

JC,

I was also surprised that coolant temp wasn't a pocket gauge option. I think the best implementation would have been leaving the ECT gauge like the regular Stingray and making manifold pressure one of the selectable pocket gauge options. Alternatively if the marketing types wanted a prominent boost gauge visible all of the time then I would have preferred that it replace the fuel level gauge instead of the coolant gauge making fuel level a secondary gauge in the configurable display. Short of a massive fuel leak the fuel level readout isn't going to change rapidly and doesn't need constant monitoring but if someone wanted to watch it constantly they would have that choice.

At least we didn't get "idiot style gauges" like some manufacturers used for years with an analog meter style readout that really approximated an idiot light. Several years ago I took a friend for a ride in my GMC Sierra with the Duramax diesel and he told me I needed to stop the engine and check the oil level because the oil pressure gauge was changing with engine speed. He had driven Ford pickups for years and their oil pressure "gauge" implementation would go to the center position as soon as the engine was started and would stay in that same spot without movement regardless of engine RPM and temperature.
Old 04-01-2016, 09:37 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by jcthorne
...Heck the digital display in the tour mode is better for track use than those poorly presented rolling ball gages. Its obvious they were presented by a programmer far more interested in gee wiz graphics than anyone that actually dove a car before and might need to use them.....
As a programmer who designed operator interface systems for more years than I want admit here, I totally agree. the entire design goal for the C7 seems to have been to market to a younger demographic. Gee wiz graphics and lines were far more important than function. For the C8, PLEASE let the track driver's have more input on function and let the programmers just control the behind the scenes implementation.
BigBird440 (04-02-2016)
Old 04-22-2016, 01:31 PM
jcthorne
Drifting

Any chance we could try again to have this one answered? It would be a simple programming update for GM.
Old 10-29-2016, 08:27 AM
jcthorne
Drifting

Any chance we can get this one in the poll again? Its never been asked and its still not fixed on the 2017 model Z06.
Old 10-29-2016, 08:44 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,802 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Any chance we can get this one in the poll again? Its never been asked and its still not fixed on the 2017 model Z06.
People don't vote for it, which is why it hasn't been asked. It's not a popular question.
Old 10-29-2016, 08:46 AM
jcthorne
Drifting

There were indeed more pressing questions at the time. Heck I voted for the PDR question over this one several times. But compared to the ones up now?

I think this is still an issue that could easily be addressed. Kindly reconsider placing it in the poll again for next cycle.

Thanks
Old 11-06-2016, 06:53 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,802 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Oddly, I have the coolant temp as a pocket gauge. Is this something they added in the 2017s? Or is this not what you meant?

Old 11-06-2016, 06:57 AM
jcthorne
Drifting

Well nice to see they fixed the problem for 17. Yes that is the missing gauge. Its not present on 15s or 16s. Perhaps they could make the software update available for prior year owners. Heck, I'd PAY for it.
Old 11-20-2016, 01:45 AM
LagunaSecaZ06
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

Well nice to see they fixed the problem for 17. Yes that is the missing gauge. Its not present on 15s or 16s. Perhaps they could make the software update available for prior year owners. Heck, I'd PAY for it.
Agreed, I would pay for it also. I would like the small gauges in the track screen to just have the numbers.
The Yav (02-11-2017)
Old 11-20-2016, 09:37 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

You will soon find that the water temp gauge in the center display is mostly useless for real world scenarios. Since the red indicator line is always in the center and the scale numbers move behind it, one has to take their eyes off the driving for far too long to decipher is any change as occurred or if approaching a problem. Heck the digital display in the tour mode is better for track use than those poorly presented rolling ball gages. Its obvious they were presented by a programmer far more interested in gee wiz graphics than anyone that actually dove a car before and might need to use them.

I really would like to see this one sent to Tadge, it actually would not be that hard to fix and is an obvious oversight when they reused the display graphics that were developed for the base car in the Z06.

I find it hard to believe that so few drivers are bothered by the missing gage.
It's not obvious to me that the problem was caused by some low level programmer. That's not the sort of thing (interior styling!) that a programmer has any input on.
I suspect this was someone in interior design's idea of a neat thing, and I don't see how this could make it into production without being reviewed and approved by upper management.

Don't blame a lowly worker bee for this issue.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:39 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

Originally Posted by 69427
It's not obvious to me that the problem was caused by some low level programmer. That's not the sort of thing (interior styling!) that a programmer has any input on.
I suspect this was someone in interior design's idea of a neat thing, and I don't see how this could make it into production without being reviewed and approved by upper management.

Don't blame a lowly worker bee for this issue.
You make the mistake of assuming the stylist or management has the last word on what gets coded. In display layouts like this the design is usually developed by a team of people including a systems engineer, human factors engineer and a programmer. The programmer will design the software flow, what interfaces will provide data for this routine and what the output will look like. Programmer's on teams like this may well have other people reporting to them (including the coders who actually code the software) and could be one of the highest level people on the team.

Bill
Old 01-08-2017, 08:43 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
You make the mistake of assuming the stylist or management has the last word on what gets coded. In display layouts like this the design is usually developed by a team of people including a systems engineer, human factors engineer and a programmer. The programmer will design the software flow, what interfaces will provide data for this routine and what the output will look like. Programmer's on teams like this may well have other people reporting to them (including the coders who actually code the software) and could be one of the highest level people on the team.

Bill
No mistake.

What the hell is management doing for their paycheck if they're not the one's controlling/specifying what's being designed/built/coded?

You appear to make a distinction between programmers and coders. We didn't. In my group (I was an engine control hardware designer) I received the specs on what the hardware needed to do, the software guy wrote the code to enable my hardware to do what his specs told him, and the systems guy combined the hardware and software for tests on the vehicle to confirm that it met the customer's requirements/specs. Any of us three would get our *** fired in a New York minute if we designed or configured a part that intentionally did not meet the customer's or management's specs.

I find it hard to believe that anything in a new Corvette gets out the door without the knowledge/approval/sign-off of the Chief Engineer.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:41 PM
jcthorne
Drifting

So rather than argue whose fault it is, can we ask to get the 2015 Z06s updated to include the gauge oversight that was fixed in later models? Should be a simple update to add the missing gauge if its already done for the later cars.

Its obvious it was missed as the graphics display was mostly duplicated from the Stingray that had the fixed coolant temp gauge.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:34 AM
jpechal
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently took my 2015 Z06 in for some updates to the PDR, climate control, and transmission. When I picked it up. I had the water temp and oil temp set as the pocket gauges in touring mode. I am not sure which update created this new option but glad its there.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:48 PM
Tech Contributor

So rather than argue whose fault it is, can we ask to get the 2015 Z06s updated to include the gauge oversight that was fixed in later models? Should be a simple update to add the missing gauge if its already done for the later cars.

Its obvious it was missed as the graphics display was mostly duplicated from the Stingray that had the fixed coolant temp gauge.
Merely responding to your claim of whose fault the issue was. It shouldn't come as a surprise that not every one in this forum is necessarily going to agree with you.

Seems simple enough.

Get notified of new replies

To No water temp pocket gauge for Z06?

Quick Reply: No water temp pocket gauge for Z06?