Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

[ASKED] Track Alignment Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 01:25 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Default [ASKED] Track Alignment Problems

Many members are running into problems having dealerships set the track alignment as defined in GM Bulletins such as #16-NA-056. The dealerships do not have the tools to measure rear caster and some insist it doesn't need to be set.

Through discussions with various dealership personnel I found out the tools are not provided as part of the Essential Tools Kit. Thus they are not inclined to spend money purchasing the tools when only a few people request that rear caster be checked and adjusted.

Some dealerships tell me if I bring the tools with me they will use them to set rear caster but I am not sure why I should be purchasing GM Tools they should already have. It looks to me like the Corvette Team is out of sync with their Service and Support group.

I thought the rear caster adjustment was something that is supposed to be checked on all Corvettes receiving an alignment.

I live in the Charlotte area and 4 dealerships do not have the tools. One dealership has the gauge but they do not have the adapter that permits use of the tool on the Corvette.

Is there anything that GM can do to alleviate this situation?

Bill
The following 4 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
CPhelps (03-30-2016), SBC_and_a_stick (05-11-2016), slickstick (04-01-2016), Snorman (04-10-2016)
Old 04-01-2016, 05:48 PM
slickstick
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 115 Posts

Track alignment is a pain in the rear... I made a post addressing this issue (in part) and it got moved. Would like to see a single alignment for street/track that is at least a middle ground for weekend warriors. Professionals/hardcore enthusiasts will probably have their cars custom tuned anyways.
Old 04-01-2016, 06:02 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,803 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by slickstick
Would like to see a single alignment for street/track that is at least a middle ground for weekend warriors. Professionals/hardcore enthusiasts will probably have their cars custom tuned anyways.
That's not up to GM to come up with that. It's up to your alignment shop. GM gives you the guidance on what it should be for either/or. Compromise as we've been doing for the last couple of decades. This isn't a new thing at all.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:45 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

I doubt the Corvette Team planned on people taking their tools to the dealership so the dealer could do an alignment as specified in the Service Manual. It is more than the track alignment that gets the short shrift. As it stands now almost nobody will get the rear caster measured if they get a normal alignment on their base Stingray.

Bill
Old 04-10-2016, 11:20 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Have you spoken with the service manager at the facilities you've visited? These aren't highly complex tools necessary. I worked as a contractor for Honda dealerships years ago when their advanced techs were stumped. The service manager would get specialty items I requested, as necessary. The service dept can certainly make that small investment. As dealers, I'd think they are required, as part of their operating agreement, to have the tools necessary to service GM vehicles in accordance with standards. I'd be questioning the dealerships and going up the management chain if I were you.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:31 PM
G fix needy
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Alignment for tracking

Originally Posted by jvp
Original question is here.
The track alignment should be included with the Z07 package from the factory!
Old 04-28-2016, 09:38 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by G fix needy
The track alignment should be included with the Z07 package from the factory!
Not really. There is a distinct difference in the handling characteristics on the street that lots of people might not like. The car darts around a little more, follows crowns and pavement irregularities and doesn't track as steadily as the standard alignment. Further, it would have a negative impact on tire wear.

But I agree 100% that dealers selling Corvettes should be required to set rear caster since it is a value that is adjustable and noted in the owner's manual.
S.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:51 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Snorman
Not really. There is a distinct difference in the handling characteristics on the street that lots of people might not like. The car darts around a little more, follows crowns and pavement irregularities and doesn't track as steadily as the standard alignment. Further, it would have a negative impact on tire wear.

But I agree 100% that dealers selling Corvettes should be required to set rear caster since it is a value that is adjustable and noted in the owner's manual.
S.
Rear Caster is also mentioned in the Factory Service Manual. However, I doubt many mechanics read that when it comes to an alignment. They just go to their favorite alignment machine and get the specs from it. Since it can't measure rear caster it doesn't give it to them so they don't know about it. I had the mechanic at Hendrick City Chevrolet tell me it wasn't possible to adjust rear caster on the C7. This was their alignment guy. Either he was BSing me or he didn't know. I just knew it was fruitless to talk to him and left.

Bill
Old 05-04-2016, 01:09 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Rear Caster is also mentioned in the Factory Service Manual. However, I doubt many mechanics read that when it comes to an alignment. They just go to their favorite alignment machine and get the specs from it. Since it can't measure rear caster it doesn't give it to them so they don't know about it. I had the mechanic at Hendrick City Chevrolet tell me it wasn't possible to adjust rear caster on the C7. This was their alignment guy. Either he was BSing me or he didn't know. I just knew it was fruitless to talk to him and left.

Bill
Stingray Chevrolet in Plant City, Florida knew exactly what I was talking about. Their shop supervisor showed me the digital angle gauge and knuckle adapter when I dropped off the car and he explained to me that they had set rear caster a number of times.

I had a great experience with Stingray, and after my alignment shifted at Roebling (the next event after they initially aligned it), the re-aligned the car for free. A highly recommended service department for Corvette owners.
S.
Old 05-10-2016, 03:19 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

The dealer is not part of GM. A dealership is simply a franchise. They're like McDonalds.

GM can require the dealership to have the necessary tools as a part of the franchise agreement. It sounds as if GM has left this up to the individual franchisee at this point.

Richard Newton
Old 05-11-2016, 08:31 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Great question Bill. You got my vote.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:09 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

I have been getting my car maintained at a dealership about 10 miles from where I live. Since I moved to the Charlotte area in 2013 they have been maintaining my GM vehicles. The Corvette guy did a lot of maintenance on my 08 and talks to me every time I am at the dealership. He has been very helpful on a lot of things. He told me he was the person who did all the Corvette alignments at the dealership. Then I asked about the Caster Setting. He didn't know but went and looked it up, noted the special tool that I had mentioned and then talked to the dealership's tool control person. That guy looked up the info and then told me he wasn't going to spend $xxx for a set of tools for one car. They did tell me if I purchased the bracket and brought in my digital angle gauge they would set the caster as required. So far that gauge seems to be made out of Unobtainium since Bosch Tools just keeps moving the delivery date. Since that is the same place the dealers would buy the tools it seems like a lot of dealerships may not be able to get them either. Ex Saturn dealers have the gauge but no bracket.

If GM is telling people they should have the rear caster set to a certain amount then they should make sure the dealers actually are able to perform the job. Is it too much to ask that at least one dealer out of seven in a Metro Area have the ability to do the job.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To [ASKED] Track Alignment Problems

Quick Reply: [ASKED] Track Alignment Problems