Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Steering wheel popping noise and active handling code among other things

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 11:44 PM
Carla Diffee
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel popping noise and active handling code among other things

I have a question maybe one of you can help me okay where do I start. I blew my old engine which had a cam. Had a ne2w one put in but the guy was an idiot and I have had all kinds of problems since I got it back. When he put the engine in he messed up my hood it doesn't fit down right. The first day I got it back I had to take it to dealership to get it reprogrammed without a cam. I drove it 2 miles and it started throwing up codes then power reduced. They charged me 600.00 because he messed up wires by the crank shaft. For the last 6 months it was getting hot I found out he didn't put my air dam pieces back on its okay now. But the problem I'm worried about driving it because every other day I had a active handling code come up. So I took it to O'Reilly to have the scan it. He said steering sensor malfunction and traction control system error. For the past last week which has gradually gotten worse every day gotten worse. When I turn the wheel either way it pops sounds like from the front. Then last night I was driving it home and on the floor board it felt like a vibration there and a little in the steering. I don't want to have a wreck until I can get it fixed. Oh I forgot to mention the idiot didn't change out the clutch while he had it out so when I got it back the throw out bearing is bad.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:08 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,146 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

What year car?
Old 05-04-2016, 05:36 AM
Carla Diffee
Cruising

2002 z06
Old 05-04-2016, 12:48 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

Carla,

First thing is you can relax a little. When you see the Active Handling Message and Traction Message that means there is a problem with them and they have been deactivated. They are not going to cause a problem while you are driving although if you are in some sort of situation they will not respond. When they are shut down the car just gets dumber and it is more like driving an old car (early 90s) that never had those functions.

You didn't list the codes they found when you had the car scanned but you can determine those codes yourself. The C5 is the only car in the world that was built with the ability for the owner to scan for codes that can exist anywhere in the car. Since you are into computers it should be easy for you to do the scan. It was somebody like you that came up with the technique for GM. See attachment on how to do this.

One of the things that could have happened while the engine was out was somebody turned the steering shaft at least one full turn which then screws up AH and TC since the steering shaft has to be oriented properly to the rack. The codes you see may tell you whether that happened or not. Did you happen to have a check engine light on the dash as well? An engine code can cause active handling and tc shut down since certain codes indicate to the system the engine can't do its part of either function.

Another thing that may trigger ah messages is the steering wheel being off center by a lot or if you have to turn the steering wheel a lot to drive the car in a straight line. When the engine was out the guy may have screwed up the front alignment.

Of course there could be more damage to the wiring harness that wasn't discovered by the dealership people.

Find out what codes exist on the car and post them back here and somebody will help you. You have a leg up on a lot of forum members because you are used to computer systems and how they react with each other and how programmers make them do what they do. The car is a system of systems and most of the systems are some form of electronic computer controlled system that all talk to each other on a serial data communications bus.

Bill
Attached Images
Old 05-05-2016, 12:13 AM
Carla Diffee
Cruising

Thank you so much for the info I ran the codes and the only ones that come up after resetting is hvac codes which I already know about them. What my main concern is my steering wheel when driving or even sitting with engine off if I turn it either way it makes a bunch of popping and clicking noises. Turn it one way and it pops about 4 times if it's sitting still. I'm scared that it could cause me to have an accident not knowing what it is causing it. And the only guy that works on corvettes that I know off where I live is booked solid until next month.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:02 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

This is a suggestion on how to try and find out what is happening. This will be a little messy so make sure you wear clothes that you don't mind getting greasy.

First go to your local home store and buy 4 of the cheapest pieces of 12 inch square vinyl tile you can find. Then visit your local auto parts store and buy some wheel bearing grease. Then get two large black garbage bags. Now you are ready to proceed. Place your car someplace on level concrete (hopefully smooth concrete floor) and mark around where your front tires are located. Back the car up and place one garbage bag on the floor where each front wheel mark is, then place one vinyl tile on top of the bags (making sure the tile is above the marks), then add a lot of grease to one side of another vinyl tile and lay it down (with the greasy side down) on the first piece of vinyl tile. Now drive the front wheels onto the tiles. Set the parking brake, put the car in neutral and set the ignition so the column lock isn't locked (if you have a column lock) without the engine running. Now open the hood and have somebody listen as you turn the steering wheel to see where the noise is coming from. The bags, tiles and grease should take a lot of friction out of turning the tires and make it easy and silent to turn the steering wheel so the only noise you and your helper hear should be the noise you are looking for. Then it is just a matter of locating it. You can use a short piece (36 inch) of 1/4 inch wooden dowel as a stethoscope to listen to noises on specific parts by placing one end on the part and the other in your ear. Or you can get a stethoscope at Harbor Freight. If you don't hear the noise that opens a different can of worms.

Bill
Old 05-21-2016, 10:30 AM
Carla Diffee
Cruising

Okay I have figured out where the sound is coming from but it's going to be difficult for me to describe it. I don't know what it's called but I will say that it looks a little should I say dry like it needs some lube. But I'm a girl and don't want to mess it up. So here it goes I have been getting the code unlock and lock column and when I turn the wheel either way at slow speeds it's worse it makes a clicking grinding popping sound. Active handling service engine soon comes up. And i get code that says steering rate malfunction. The sound is coming like it's connected to the column but there's what looks like a black boot around it and that's where the noise is its right by something called a blank box. Does that sound familiar and can please advise what to do.

Get notified of new replies

To Steering wheel popping noise and active handling code among other things

Quick Reply: [Z06] Steering wheel popping noise and active handling code among other things