Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

[ANSWERED] Why No Oil Catch Can on the LT1 Corvette Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 09:33 AM
C7s
Burning Brakes

Received 274 Likes on 127 Posts

Cheap insurance. Very easy install. Cleans the dirty side of the PCV system. Subscribe for more great videos!!!

The following 3 users liked this post by C7s:
COSPEED2 (07-30-2016), MikeLsx (07-30-2016), SilverFish (11-29-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 10:02 AM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

why does it take some random customer to make a clear video how to install one of these. I have been wanting for a video like that since catch cans came out of the LT1.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:06 AM
C7s
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MikeLsx
why does it take some random customer to make a clear video how to install one of these. I have been wanting for a video like that since catch cans came out of the LT1.
Appreciate man! And be sure to check out my YouTube Channel for more great videos!!!
The following users liked this post:
MikeLsx (07-30-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 02:32 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Yes, great video! There are others as well, but his does a great job. I would add the cleanside unit and convert to dual outlets for evacuation when accelerating and WOT as well.

And more, but these are some of the better ones.

Old 08-03-2016, 12:19 AM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Originally Posted by Z06BAIT
Yes, great video! There are others as well, but his does a great job. I would add the cleanside unit and convert to dual outlets for evacuation when accelerating and WOT as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4wdxP64ZFg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai-s5azMLsU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCWrjtqnS5k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpAzRGw46eg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL8F9vp3BYE

And more, but these are some of the better ones.

None of those are LT1 corvette c7, and they are made by customers. I dont understand why these catch can companies havent made a easy and clear install video. I have never in my life installed a catch can. I am little worried I will screw something up.

the only reason why i would think you posted install videos from other cars is that they have similar install points. But thats just a GUESS, because how would I know.

I am still waiting for a easy, clear video how to inspect the intake valves, and clear video how to install a catch can from a professional vendor.

Just make a video like this one

The following users liked this post:
David@MMS (08-03-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 09:58 AM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

Need to have the car present in shop to do any video's, and that is the hardest part. Pretty expensive to purchase each make/model/modded vehicle to make them. The one above always does good videos, but have very ineffective results when tested side by side with a CoSpeed or Elite dual valve.

If anyone has a car they want to bring in for a free install, then I am sure you will get the same video's. And would love to see someone place a CoSPeed dual valve inline AFTER a MMS can and show the World the results. Run it for 2k miles and see how much passes through, then clean both and run the CoSPeed can first and see almost nothing gets past the CoSPeed. Would be a great way for all to see first hand what happens, but it has to be done by someone not biased toward either company/product.

Last edited by COSPEED; 08-03-2016 at 07:41 PM.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:32 AM
AnthonyGS
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeLsx

I am still waiting for a easy, clear video how to inspect the intake valves, and clear video how to install a catch can from a professional vendor.

Be a bit careful with this logic. There are good and bad vendors / shops in the auto business. In a lot of cases some enthusiast made videos are just as good, possibly even better, than what some vendors/shops are capable of producing.

I know for a fact any vendor or dealership I speak to, I probably know more about my vehicles than they do. Learning about your vehicle puts you in a good position to discuss exactly what needs to be done, how to do it, and get a very good deal. Vendors/shops realize when they are dealing with customers that understand these things. While I can do most anything on almost any car. I do farm out a lot of work these days, including all suspension work. I'm about have an engine built for my old 'Vette and I will let the shop do as much or as little as they want depending on costs/standards/materials and methods used. They may just get to do the machine work, but they may also get full long block assembly. It depends on them as much as anything else.

Z06bait has made a pretty good offer for anyone willing to donate their car for a few hours. With a new car, I'd check with my local dealership though and make sure they aren't going to try and void a warranty over a catch can. I think it would be unjustified and could be fought in court, but it's not worth the hassle or expense. Now if you have deep pockets and don't care about warranties, that's a different issue.
Old 08-03-2016, 02:45 PM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Originally Posted by Z06BAIT
Need to have the car present in shop to do any video's, and that is the hardest part. Pretty expensive to purchase each make/model/modded vehicle to make them. The one above always does good videos, but have very ineffective results when tested side by side with a CoSpeed or Elite dual valve.

If anyone has a car they want to bring in for a free install, then I am sure you will get the same video's. And would love to see someone place a CoSPeed dual valve inline AFTER a MMS can and show the World the results. Run it for 2k miles and see how much passes through, then clean both and run the CoSPeed can first and see almost nothing gets past the CoSPeed. Would be a great way for all to see first hand what happens, but it has to be done by someone not biased toward either company/product. And, as Colorado SPeed pays each month to be a supporting vendor so this site can operate for all the members at no cost to them, companies that "cheap out" and slide by the rules we have little respect for.

Wish i lived closer to you. I am all the way up in Michigan.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:46 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

We have done this several times on different cars, as different engines produce different amounts of blow-by, etc. and know the results, but a vendor claiming their product is superior is hardly fair or genuine IMHO. SO, it really has to be performed by someone that will be fair to both parties, and also be extremely accurate and precise in their tracking all including miles driven for each, and try to maintain the same type of driving with each. 3-4k miles is a better, more accurate test on each, but most do not drive that much.

We started these test's several years ago and have done so on app. a dozen plus different cans claiming to be the "best".

Also, MM sent a message that they are now a supporting vendor on here, so we welcome them!
Old 11-25-2016, 03:54 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by C7s
Cheap insurance. Very easy install. Cleans the dirty side of the PCV system. Subscribe for more great videos!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMMIHeGS2t0
On my 2017 GS, I am running an RX can installed like this video for the dirty side PCV separator. What I am catching in the can has a lot of gas and water condensation with only a small amount of oil. The oil is much more diluted than on the can installed on my LSA motor. What are you guys catching in your can with the dry sump NA engine?
Old 11-25-2016, 04:43 PM
C7s
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by djnice
On my 2017 GS, I am running an RX can installed like this video for the dirty side PCV separator. What I am catching in the can has a lot of gas and water condensation with only a small amount of oil. The oil is much more diluted than on the can installed on my LSA motor. What are you guys catching in your can with the dry sump NA engine?
You can see what I caught in this video but yes its a mixture of all components.

Old 11-26-2016, 12:44 AM
djnice
Melting Slicks

I saw your video. Yours looks like coffee. Mine is just a slight brown tint like an ale.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:29 PM
C7s
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by corvette-22
There is no need for a can on the dry sump cars. A separator/catch can is already built in to the top of the oil tank.
Correct for the clean side which is why I didn't put one there. Dirty side where I installed mine is recommended.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:07 PM
David@MMS
Supporting Vendor

Received 221 Likes on 153 Posts

the clean side will begin to contaminate more as cylinder pressure and blowby increase. if you don't see liquid oil in your cold air tubing then you aren't in trouble yet.

Here is a post on another board by a member that got banned which is interesting, but useful photos none the less.

(dry sump car looks like)

original thread
http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/...injection.html
#mmsolutions
Six time NMCA True Street Champions

Home of the first Twin Turbo C7Z 7.81 @ 176
3470# Stock bottom end and heads Corvette Stock Bottom End Record Holder
Old 12-20-2016, 02:24 PM
1bdvette
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default catch can

Originally Posted by rsilver
I thought he did a good job with the answer, at least he has one, and they thought about it and they tried to execute it. Weather that system works adequately, is certainly in question. Al least if i add one I will make sure it has a return line or check oil level frequently.
They need to leave room for the maintenance dept!!! lol
Old 01-23-2017, 03:13 PM
JJWVETTE
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Default confused

So do I need a catch can on the dry sump engine or not

I checked my intake and did not see any oil inside
Old 01-23-2017, 07:54 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Did you pull the throttle body and check inside the manifold?

Get notified of new replies

To [ANSWERED] Why No Oil Catch Can on the LT1 Corvette Engine?

Old 01-24-2017, 08:32 AM
JJWVETTE
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by djnice
Did you pull the throttle body and check inside the manifold?
No
Will I have to get a new gasget?
Old 01-24-2017, 12:16 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JJWVETTE
No
Will I have to get a new gasget?
I don't think so. Its a reusable oring. What I did on my LSA is took the intake tube off and opened the throttle body to look inside the manifold. Not sure if you can do that on the LT1. On the LT1, so far I have only taken off the u-tube that connects the valley to manifold. The U-tube had oil in it. So I installed a spare can to see what it catches. So far its getting a mixture of condensation, un-burnt fuel, and maybe 25% oil. One of these days I will dig into it some more.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:15 PM
LT4CMG
Le Mans Master

Received 3,492 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Well I was excited about installing the Elite on my car, now I'm confused. So many opinions, don't know what to believe anymore. It's a 16 Z51. And don't mind the long hoses, haven't trimmed them to size yet.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: [ANSWERED] Why No Oil Catch Can on the LT1 Corvette Engine?