Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

paint and other issues

Old 06-29-2016, 08:55 PM
faustt
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default paint and other issues

Tadge,

I am interested in the 2016 Corvette Stingray C7 Coupe. I have also looked at CPO 991.1 generation 911s. That being said, my passion is with Corvette. I have driven 7-speed manuals and 8-speed automatics. I am leaning towards the manual.

With the above being said, I have read about quality issues with the C7 from reading the Web. Granted, one cannot take the Web as Gospel. One issue that I read about was the paint (e.g. bubbling, popping, pitting, peeling). I also read about Continental Structural Plastics' TCA Ultralite that is used on 2016 Corvettes. Is this true for all Corvettes? Is it true that Ultralite prevents problems related to paint above? I also read where the Corvette plant is building a new paint facility that will be up and running 4/17? I would like to buy a Corvette within the next 3 mo.

Should I go ahead and purchase a 2016 or wait for the 2017? I would rather get one now but don't want to get into a lot of problems. Other issues that I have read about (LT1 engines, 8L90 automatics, Tremec 6070 issues, head up display tilting, back up camera angle, heat/ventilated seats, and memory function etc). I also saw on Consumer Reports that predicted reliability for the new model is "much worse than average". I am assuming that all of this is based upon selected responses that are not evidenced based or powered based upon number of responses. On the flip side, the Corvette has gained multiple awards and Editors Choice from Car and Driver.

The Corvette is a terrific car. I hope to purchase one soon.

Tom Faust
Old 07-10-2016, 08:19 PM
Cruncher
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by faustt
Tadge,

I am interested in the 2016 Corvette Stingray C7 Coupe. I have also looked at CPO 991.1 generation 911s. That being said, my passion is with Corvette. I have driven 7-speed manuals and 8-speed automatics. I am leaning towards the manual.

With the above being said, I have read about quality issues with the C7 from reading the Web. Granted, one cannot take the Web as Gospel. One issue that I read about was the paint (e.g. bubbling, popping, pitting, peeling). I also read about Continental Structural Plastics' TCA Ultralite that is used on 2016 Corvettes. Is this true for all Corvettes? Is it true that Ultralite prevents problems related to paint above? I also read where the Corvette plant is building a new paint facility that will be up and running 4/17? I would like to buy a Corvette within the next 3 mo.

Should I go ahead and purchase a 2016 or wait for the 2017? I would rather get one now but don't want to get into a lot of problems. Other issues that I have read about (LT1 engines, 8L90 automatics, Tremec 6070 issues, head up display tilting, back up camera angle, heat/ventilated seats, and memory function etc). I also saw on Consumer Reports that predicted reliability for the new model is "much worse than average". I am assuming that all of this is based upon selected responses that are not evidenced based or powered based upon number of responses. On the flip side, the Corvette has gained multiple awards and Editors Choice from Car and Driver.

The Corvette is a terrific car. I hope to purchase one soon.

Tom Faust
And you chose the vehicle that has known paint, mechanical, and electrical problems over a proven reliable and all around great vehicle? I don't get it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: paint and other issues