Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

[ANSWERED] Melting AFM Actuators

Old 08-13-2016, 04:21 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by kevincol
The straight-a-way is much shorter than it used to be....
I raced there in 07-08. Is the straight different now?
Old 08-13-2016, 06:21 PM
kevincol
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by djnice
I raced there in 07-08. Is the straight different now?
It used to be that after turn 9 that you would be on the drag strip. I don't know what year they changed it, but you now are on what used to be the pit area and then come onto the last part of the drag strip.

They used to divert to the way it permanently is now when it was wet as the chemicals that they put down on the pavement for the drag strip goes to super slick if it is wet.

I put in a red line on how it used to be...

Last edited by kevincol; 08-13-2016 at 06:27 PM.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:15 PM
BaylorCorvette
Pro

Received 231 Likes on 127 Posts

During the Corvette Corral at Circuit of the Americas this past weekend there was a Q&A with Tim Campbell who is the Corvette Program Quality Manager. I took this opportunity to ask him about the AFM actuators (already knowing Tadge's response). It's kind of hard to hear, but he basically said they've seen the failures and there is an "upgraded" AFM actuator that shouldn't melt. However I've already read reports of people melting these. Since I melted mine a few months ago and the dealer fixed it under warranty it *should* be the "upgraded" AFM actuator. Guess time will tell.

Here's the video:

Last edited by BaylorCorvette; 09-19-2016 at 05:15 PM.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:20 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,463 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by BaylorCorvette
During the Corvette Corral at Circuit of the Americas this past weekend there was a Q&A with Tim Campbell who is the Corvette Program Quality Manager. I took this opportunity to ask him about the AFM actuators (already knowing Tadge's response). It's kind of hard to hear, but he basically said they've seen the failures and there is an "upgraded" AFM actuator that shouldn't melt. However I've already read reports of people melting these. Since I melted mine a few months ago and the dealer fixed it under warranty it *should* be the "upgraded" AFM actuator. Guess time will tell.

Here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMHx6Yz4rzY
There's an improved muffler with better insulation (if you can recall from descartesfool's posts), and he might have just meant that, too. It did not last him any longer than his original ones, and your 2016 car should already have come with that upgraded part. I would doubt that there would actually be different actuators, since I don't see any part # change anywhere, and more importantly, Tadge never mentioned anything about that.

Why I am thinking this way:
These actuators are in a very tight location with so much heat build-up. The only way for the actuators to work, in my opinion, is to get them cable operated, and move the actual motor away from the exhaust, exactly how it is done on my ZX-10R motorcycle which also has a similar actuator. If a new actuator fixed the issue altogether, then they would not remove it altogether from '17 Z51, GS, etc., and use the new motors instead.

Last edited by X25; 09-19-2016 at 05:22 PM.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:31 PM
BaylorCorvette
Pro

Received 231 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by X25
There's an improved muffler with better insulation (if you can recall from descartesfool's posts), and he might have just meant that, too. It did not last him any longer than his original ones, and your 2016 car should already have come with that upgraded part. I would doubt that there would actually be different actuators, since I don't see any part # change anywhere, and more importantly, Tadge never mentioned anything about that.

Why I am thinking this way:
These actuators are in a very tight location with so much heat build-up. The only way for the actuators to work, in my opinion, is to get them cable operated, and move the actual motor away from the exhaust, exactly how it is done on my ZX-10R motorcycle which also has a similar actuator. If a new actuator fixed the issue altogether, then they would not remove it altogether from '17 Z51, GS, etc., and use the new motors instead.
I agree completely but I really didn't want to chase that rabbit hole. Once I heard the response I figured I'd just stop there
The following users liked this post:
daleong (09-19-2016)
Old 09-19-2016, 06:54 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BaylorCorvette
I agree completely but I really didn't want to chase that rabbit hole. Once I heard the response I figured I'd just stop there
Makes sense. Perhaps you should give them benefit of the doubt, just try it out by attending track days, get it replaced if it fails, and only then decide on your next steps if it indeed fails again.

Or, you can grab a '17 Z51, GS, or 1LE (or even ZL1) before going down with mods : )

Last edited by X25; 09-19-2016 at 06:54 PM.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:44 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Remove the actuator, relocate it somewhere cooler, and trick the range of motion checks with a small lever just like the akropovic exhaust on my GSXR.
Old 09-19-2016, 11:07 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Remove the actuator, relocate it somewhere cooler, and trick the range of motion checks with a small lever just like the akropovic exhaust on my GSXR.
Yep, I have no problems attending track days:
How-To: Eliminate AFM actuator melting issue for aggressive/track driving
Old 09-29-2016, 10:40 AM
djnice
Melting Slicks

In the last paragraph, when he says AFM only works in ECO mode. Is he referring to 2017 M7 or both M7 and A8?
Since no one answered my question with facts about changes on the 2017, I will answer it myself. Tadge was referring to M7 only.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:19 PM
cole@ronzer.org
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got this issue. Had to replace the AFM actuators 3 times this year on my 14 Z51 M7, last time didn't even last one track day. My car was fine for the first 25 track days. I always do cool down laps, haven't done any of the mods Tadge suggests could contribute to the problem, and my car doesn't have stealth mode.

Has anyone tried aftermarket exhaust? For example:
https://www.borla.com/products/c7_co...rt__11856.html
Has NPP & AFM valves.

Last edited by cole@ronzer.org; 10-04-2016 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:21 PM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...1&goto=newpost

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [ANSWERED] Melting AFM Actuators