Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

C7 inadequate leg room

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 08:24 PM
gwyliecoyote
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default C7 inadequate leg room

When will they consider revising the lower dash angle so that the taller C6 owners will have something to look forward to? I'm 6'6" and have 1/2" to spare in my C6, but can't even touch the gas pedal in the C7 .
Old 08-12-2016, 09:40 PM
speedwaywhite
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by gwyliecoyote
When will they consider revising the lower dash angle so that the taller C6 owners will have something to look forward to? I'm 6'6" and have 1/2" to spare in my C6, but can't even touch the gas pedal in the C7 .
Another frustrated 6'6" C6 owner here, I am hoping for a 'Gurney Bubble' option on the 2018! Seriously though I have driven a couple C7, just to cramped for me. Glad I like my 13 GS, looks like I'll have it for a while. 6'7" friend just traded his 13 GS for 911. I was shocked at how much more leg and headroom is in the Porsche.
Old 08-13-2016, 02:18 PM
n8dogg
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 327 Likes on 95 Posts

I think you giants are out of luck. They can't magically make any more room in the car without a major change and the car is selling too well to justify a major change for this generation. Besides, the second they do make a more spacious interior, the critics are going to start wishing the Corvette had a tighter cockpit like its import rivals.
The following users liked this post:
Maxie2U (08-26-2016)
Old 08-18-2016, 01:36 AM
myc7z51
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by n8dogg
I think you giants are out of luck. They can't magically make any more room in the car without a major change and the car is selling too well to justify a major change for this generation. Besides, the second they do make a more spacious interior, the critics are going to start wishing the Corvette had a tighter cockpit like its import rivals.
I sense that you are vertically challenged - if you weren't you would see that he has a valid point.

As you know the Corvette is highly configurable. In terms of seating, the driver can make adjustments up, down, forward, back and has bolster support. The steering wheel can be made to move up, down, towards and away from the driver to adjust length of reach, and yet the foot pedals are fixed into one spot. Heck I had a Silverado once that I could move the pedals around to make it more comfortable.

If the Corvette is the 'Halo' car (my salesman gave that one to me) of General Motors, I would think that foot reach would be adjustable as well.

Oh and by the way if I wanted an import - I would have bought one.
Old 08-19-2016, 02:47 PM
n8dogg
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 327 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug McGraw
I sense that you are vertically challenged - if you weren't you would see that he has a valid point.

As you know the Corvette is highly configurable. In terms of seating, the driver can make adjustments up, down, forward, back and has bolster support. The steering wheel can be made to move up, down, towards and away from the driver to adjust length of reach, and yet the foot pedals are fixed into one spot. Heck I had a Silverado once that I could move the pedals around to make it more comfortable.

If the Corvette is the 'Halo' car (my salesman gave that one to me) of General Motors, I would think that foot reach would be adjustable as well.

This topic has been touched many times before. Bottom line is GM's profit would be reduced by adding adjustable pedals and add weight to the car. There isn't enough of a demand to justify it.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:06 AM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,177 Likes on 2,253 Posts

Old 08-27-2016, 11:20 PM
gwyliecoyote
Intermediate

I don't see it as a "major change" to return to lower dash panel angle that the C6 has. That small panel is the problem change.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:14 PM
djpatrick35
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm also your height and immediately noticed the dash difference between the C6 and C7 like you on the day of delivery of my Stingray. Well, you can unplug the seat delimiter as I have and slightly change the way you put in your legs as well.

In my old C6's, I used to use the clutch as a way to swing my right leg under the steering wheel then put my left leg in and voila, I'm off. With this car, to avoid the stupid switches (that you're undoubtedly hitting) I'm now using the 'fall in' method where I essentially sit in the car THEN swing my right leg underneath using the clutch. It's an extra step and it does risk bashing your head, but it gives you just a little bit of extra room to get your legs under the dash and not hit the trunk button.

Could be worse - we could have Vipers where you can barely close the door and feel like you can't move your arms!

Last edited by djpatrick35; 08-28-2016 at 05:14 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:14 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 922 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug McGraw

It's been shown that customers are actually more confused when they have a telescoping wheel and adjustable pedals. This also means the variability of driver position gets infinitely more complex. It's a general design practice to usually only have one or the other. Corvette has telescoping, so adjustable pedals aren't needed.

Now getting in and out once you have the adjustments right (as in the seat forward, wheel telescoped inward) is another story...
Old 08-30-2016, 11:57 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,177 Likes on 2,253 Posts

Feel for you tall folks but seriously redesign the Vette to accommodate, I think not.
Old 09-03-2016, 11:02 PM
ElCid79
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

Do not know if it would help. But what about having a non adjustable seat installed?
The following users liked this post:
gwyliecoyote (09-03-2016)
Old 09-03-2016, 11:54 PM
gwyliecoyote
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ElCid79
Do not know if it would help. But what about having a non adjustable seat installed?
LOL! Ironic that you suggest that because that's my current C6 seat situation. I have the 'seat creep' problem so I had to take the seat adjustment fuse out to keep from getting pinned in a very scary position. But that doesn't get me any additional space. Thanks for the suggestion though!
Old 10-17-2016, 04:41 PM
myc7z51
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1 Z51
It's been shown that customers are actually more confused when they have a telescoping wheel and adjustable pedals. This also means the variability of driver position gets infinitely more complex. It's a general design practice to usually only have one or the other. Corvette has telescoping, so adjustable pedals aren't needed.

Now getting in and out once you have the adjustments right (as in the seat forward, wheel telescoped inward) is another story...
I don't know if ppl are as dumb as you make out, but pretty near every time I climb into my car I think about this post, and I'm only 6'3".

I do think there is room for pedal movement because I can barely touch the floor under the brake pedal so I keep wondering if there is something I can change to get the dead pedal and the gas pedal moved away abit.

I have eased my problem a little bit by purchasing racing shoes with no heel - but again with a car as configurable as the C7 maybe we can fit some taller drivers in there...

Maybe the C8 - fingers crossed -
Old 10-19-2016, 10:43 AM
dnomad63
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Perfect for me

Funny! I thought of this when I first drove my 2016 Z06 about 2 months ago. I am 5' 9" and have the seat extended all the way back and fits me perfect. Any taller and I'd be getting leg cramps.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 inadequate leg room

Quick Reply: C7 inadequate leg room