Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

[ASKED] How are colors selected for corvettes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 02:15 PM
Reason222
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts
Default [ASKED] How are colors selected for corvettes?

I'm curious to know what kind of process goes into choosing the colors that will be available for Corvettes. I may be the odd guy out, but i feel like the colors available for corvette tend to stay pretty generic. I'm sure Black, red, gray, white and blue are your biggest sellers and kind of standard. Why not use some of the extra color "slots" you have available to use something more vibrant and interesting.

You could make a lighter green, lime green, or a lighter orange, or a lighter shade of purple. Sure they might not be high sellers, but that's what your "standard" colors could be for. Why keep changing the shade of gray, or having multiple reds? Is the market you're missing for these lighter, more vibrant colors not large enough to offset the cost? or is there some other force that keeps corvettes in dark shades of pretty much everything.
Old 08-21-2016, 02:22 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,792 Likes on 1,141 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Reason222
You could make a lighter green, lime green, or a lighter orange, or a lighter shade of purple. Sure they might not be high sellers, but that's what your "standard" colors could be for.
It's an interesting question and we'll post it up on the next poll. But think about this idea thoroughly: You've mentioned some fairly bright, perhaps even shocking colors that we see on exotic cars. Do you really think Corvette could get away with the same sorts of colors? Imagine how well (or not so well) a lime green Corvette would sell? Or some shade of purple?

This isn't an "old guy" vs "young guy" thing, either. It's more along the lines of what colors actually fit the model?
Old 08-21-2016, 10:14 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

Perhaps adding to that question....How will the new paint shop affect how many and the types of colors they can offer?
Old 08-22-2016, 07:50 AM
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin 🍺

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,440 Likes on 940 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2018 C7 of Year Winner
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

I think this is a great question and would love to hear Tadge address it. I heard the Bowling Green team did not want the new color Sterling blue but GM forced it.

I'm on my 3rd new Vette in under 4 years and picking the color is always the toughest decision. The option colors pricing always factors in as well. My new GS color is siren red for $395 on all other GM vehicles.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:38 PM
Official NOCO
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great question, would love to hear an answer!
Old 09-30-2016, 11:10 AM
grcor
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 41 Posts

If you want to see how the work is done in the GM Design Center watch this. http://www.autoline.tv/journal/?m=20...at=790&paged=3 They talk about colors at 12.44 in the video.

Last edited by grcor; 10-08-2016 at 09:51 AM.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:26 AM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

Default How are colors determined?

I would still like to know the answer to a question that was not answered - how are the car colors determined? What goes into the decision to continue with some colors, and discontinue others?
Old 10-07-2016, 11:21 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,792 Likes on 1,141 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Red08
I would still like to know the answer to a question that was not answered - how are the car colors determined? What goes into the decision to continue with some colors, and discontinue others?
This thread was merged into the existing one; there's no need to start a new thread asking a question that's already been asked. The next time it goes up for vote, cast a vote for it. It's been on the poll 2 or 3 times already and hasn't won yet.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:00 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
This thread was merged into the existing one; there's no need to start a new thread asking a question that's already been asked. The next time it goes up for vote, cast a vote for it. It's been on the poll 2 or 3 times already and hasn't won yet.
To reply to you - I didn't see that it had been posted again. Secondly, this question came in #2 in a recent pole. I think it is a question that a lot of folks would like to see answered. And BTW, I did vote for it previously. I hope I answered all of your concerns.

Get notified of new replies

To [ASKED] How are colors selected for corvettes?

Quick Reply: [ASKED] How are colors selected for corvettes?