Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

[ANSWERED] PDR Pre-Record and Quick Record Button

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 10:51 PM
slickstick
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeekDuff
i see only ONE huge problem with the original idea of activating the record feature to capture the beginning of any event after the event actually happens. As a recording artist, I'm a bit familiar with the gear involved, and to do what's suggested, the camera (with or without audio) would need to be ON at all times, AND you need to have a HARDWARE feature to capture a continuous loop of perhaps a full minute or 2, that also constantly gets erased with new data in real-time. THEN you could push a button to append that loop to the beginning of a "live' recording, IF you remember to do that. BUT, we're not talking a relatively simple bit of software code anymore, because there's simply no way in hell software can do that. So, to make it backwards compatible, you'll need a hardware upgrade in the form of a memory chip installation that doesn't exist at the moment, and t's one that would undoubtedly be too costly for most owners to even consider for the single feature it could enable in the current system. Actually, I can't see anything workable other than a complete replacement of the original unit with the chip enabled one. Not a bad idea for a future piece of factory hardware, but not at all likely to help current owners.

Sorry guys, but that's reality...
...z
I work in the police in car video industry and every major competitor system has this feature. It's very standard. They could save the loop to the SD card as they already save the recordings today. It would only need to loop those 15-30 seconds. Every major competitor already also does this for their body worn cameras.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:52 PM
slickstick
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CP
And how come I don't get all that legalese to allow the car to record everything I am doing onto the recorder in the black box, hmmmmm?
And that information can actually be used against ME!!!
Good point... Sounds like selective privacy concerns.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:56 PM
slickstick
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jedi-Jurist
Tadge:

First, I was sorry to hear about your father and wish to express my condolences.

As to the PDR issue, I keep hearing the lawyer excuses, and I have to point out (as a lawyer myself) a few things - 1) pretty much every dash cam on the market starts recording on power and can be set to record with sound. These are probably passing legal muster by having the owner take responsibility through a shrinkwrap license. GM could do the same by having the owner agree to take responsibility for eavesdropping laws and activate auto-dash-cam recording; and 2) again, you could be recording sound on valet mode if the screen would just say "recording in progress" - notice always defeats these statutes.

And please make these backwards compatible. There is no good reason Apple CarPlay can't be backwards compatible. Same with the front cameras. Will you be making the new parameters for the PDR (for MY 2018) backwards compatible?

Thanks!
Agree, there are a number of ways to work around this legally. It's the equivalent of saying Google can't sell a cell phone with a video camera because somebody might violate privacy laws. GM is either making excuses or has a lack of leadership able to stand up to their overly conservative lawyers.

Last edited by slickstick; 07-18-2017 at 10:57 PM.

Quick Reply: [ANSWERED] PDR Pre-Record and Quick Record Button