Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

[ANSWERED] PDR Pre-Record and Quick Record Button

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 10:21 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,803 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Default [ANSWERED] PDR Pre-Record and Quick Record Button

Original question is here.

slickstick asked:
While the PDR is cool for the track, it would be nice if it had a street mode as well. It could be set to record constantly, and add a recording 'hotkey' to the infotainment home screen. If anything noteworthy happens on the streets, pushing the record button would instantly enter record mode, and with a configurable pre-record (ex: 30-60 seconds) would capture what happened prior to the button push.

Can this feature we added via software update? It seems very simple and straightforward to provide owners.
Tadge answered:
Thank you for the question, slickstick. Since introducing the PDR as a first-in-the-industry feature, we have had a lot of input on possible upgrades and use-cases. You now see PDR starting to proliferate to other GM vehicles, so those customers are also providing feedback.

You are right that, although PDR was originally imagined as a track feature, there are many possible uses on the street. We will be prioritizing all the customer feedback in addition to our own ideas and you will see a continuous evolution of the PDR functionality in the coming years. In fact, we have discussed features very similar to what you describe. As I have described in answering many other questions on the Forum, we always try to make software (and sometimes hardware) backwards compatible, but it is not always possible.

Another challenge we have is that there are privacy laws that vary by state and country that may prohibit recording without specific direction from the customer. I'm not saying we can't do as you describe, but nothing is ever as simple as it seems and we have to get many legal interpretations of the global regulations as we bring new features to market.

Last edited by jvp; 08-31-2016 at 10:22 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by jvp:
BaconWrappedSushi (09-11-2017), BaylorCorvette (08-31-2016), pdpratt (09-01-2016), ron landgraf (09-10-2016)
Old 08-31-2016, 07:50 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

Of all the answers we've gotten, many of which have been really useful, this is the weakest. Basically no information other than that there are lawyers involved.

It's also questionable that it depends on "global regulations" since its all software and they could have different software versions for different markets.

It also doesn't look like they have been improving it. All we've seen so far is the patch for removing audio recording and the one for improving the video (still not great, but better). Has anyone used the one in the Caddy or the Camaro to see if they've done anything additional with the system there?
Old 09-01-2016, 08:30 AM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

I agree, not a great answer. Tadge is probably busy at Carlisle and didn't give it a lot of thought. I have been waiting for (and voting for) this question to be asked for many months, so I'm disappointed.

Everyone understands that privacy and recording laws differ among states. So just allow certain add-on modules to be sold in particular states -- just like the emissions packages or license plate packages that are sold in some states but not others.

Or how about the Corvette team works on making the PDR system somewhat "open", so that 3rd party companies can create add-on functionality? If required by the lawyers, make add-ons require a certification from GM, so they can be sure certain features are only sold to people in states that allow them. Or whatever the legal issue is.

People have dashcams all over the world. Somehow they deal with privacy laws and it's not an issue for them. So you can't tell me GM can't make this happen.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:12 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Before folks go ripping apart this answer as having "no useful information," I'd recommend reading Tadge's words carefully. A few things come to mind:
  1. He didn't say they're not going to do it.
  2. He didn't say they would do it, either.
  3. He did say they have a bunch of different feedback on the PDR system and they have to prioritize which changes get considered over others. Some of those changes have to go through legal, while others are purely a tech and level-of-effort thing.
  4. Any belief that we'll get the VLE of any GM vehicle to commit to any update or change on a public forum is folly. That isn't going to happen. Ever.
  5. Re-read that last point carefully, please.
Old 09-05-2016, 02:48 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
  1. He didn't say they're not going to do it.
  2. He didn't say they would do it, either.
And that's kind of the problem. It's a non-answer that goes on to list the problems with implementing it.
Old 09-05-2016, 02:49 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by mschuyler
And that's kind of the problem. It's a non-answer that goes on to list the problems with implementing it.
Did you read the final point in my post?

Last edited by jvp; 09-05-2016 at 02:50 PM.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:37 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

Sorry, but we did. It was an excuse that somehow a law somewhere doesn't allow it. Which is why I mentioned that they can have different software versions for different regions.

It's also nonsense because the car is already recording tons of data and many people are recording everything, including audio and video, with phones and other equipment. Every recording of every possible type doesn't have to stand up in every court on the planet.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:10 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Doesn't make sense to activate the record mode, most accidents happen in split seconds, not enough time to press record. Buy a dashcam if you want to have a record of what's going on.
Old 09-07-2016, 02:19 PM
slickstick
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by themonk
Doesn't make sense to activate the record mode, most accidents happen in split seconds, not enough time to press record. Buy a dashcam if you want to have a record of what's going on.
It's interesting that you point that out:
1: I actually work in an industry that provides dash (and other) cameras with pre-record functionality and I can guarantee you there are many cases where a manually-triggered pre-record is useful.
2: The G-Force sensors in the Corvette (which are measured and displayed real time already) could also provide a trigger in the event of collisions you mention. There are many other types of triggers that could be used as well.
The following users liked this post:
Jedi-Jurist (09-07-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 02:21 PM
slickstick
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 115 Posts

Thanks Tadge... it's nice to see my own question get voted on by the group and then responded to. I know everybody wants firm answers but like JVP said, that will never happen in this forum for a number of reasons anybody who works in a commercial industry will appreciate. It's nice to know (it sounds like) it's already being dispositioned and addressed in some fashion.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:00 PM
HighTeq
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I just turn mine on every time I get in the car, and after 1.5 hours of continuous recording. Sometimes I forget, sometimes I get video of stupid people.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:01 AM
Jedi-Jurist
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 72 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

As an attorney, let me see if I can help with the legal issue. Have the "continuous recording" be an option you have to go into settings to turn on. Have a disclaimer come up at that time that selecting this option will mean that every time the car is turned on, video and audio will be recorded automatically. Then add a splash screen to the display at every startup that says something like: "Automatic PDR Active - Video and Audio Recording Turned On." If you still feel queasy, add one "OK" button and one "Deactivate" button to press before the screen goes any further.

If you didn't get a similar answer from your own lawyers, I'm available for hire ;-)
The following 2 users liked this post by Jedi-Jurist:
Mike Mercury (09-16-2016), pdiddy972 (12-20-2016)
Old 09-16-2016, 10:03 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Another challenge we have is that there are privacy laws that vary by state and country that may prohibit recording without specific direction from the customer.
not an issue if two things are addressed:

1. The person(s) in the car are not within view of the PDR camera (that easy, the PDR camera never points inwards anyways).

2. Audio is not being recorded (this capability to record video without audio is already there; aka: Valet mode).

I mentioned this before, but all the "privacy issue" concerns can be dealt with; and I suspect that GM doesn't want to pay Cosworth for anything they don' thave to. GM does nto own the code in the PDR; they can't do it in-house).

Unless a properly worded question is asked of Tadge on this specific... he (GM) will be allowed to continue to offer weak answers. It's almost like he's intentionally being handed a softball worded question on this topic.

I want to get something useful for the $1000 extra the NAV system now costs - due to bundling the PDR into the RPO.
Old 09-17-2016, 02:01 PM
ZeekDuff
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sorry guys, but...

i see only ONE huge problem with the original idea of activating the record feature to capture the beginning of any event after the event actually happens. As a recording artist, I'm a bit familiar with the gear involved, and to do what's suggested, the camera (with or without audio) would need to be ON at all times, AND you need to have a HARDWARE feature to capture a continuous loop of perhaps a full minute or 2, that also constantly gets erased with new data in real-time. THEN you could push a button to append that loop to the beginning of a "live' recording, IF you remember to do that. BUT, we're not talking a relatively simple bit of software code anymore, because there's simply no way in hell software can do that. So, to make it backwards compatible, you'll need a hardware upgrade in the form of a memory chip installation that doesn't exist at the moment, and t's one that would undoubtedly be too costly for most owners to even consider for the single feature it could enable in the current system. Actually, I can't see anything workable other than a complete replacement of the original unit with the chip enabled one. Not a bad idea for a future piece of factory hardware, but not at all likely to help current owners.

Sorry guys, but that's reality...
...z
Old 09-19-2016, 09:53 AM
Ricman
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe it is possible on future models. I bought my wife the new CT6 and it has continuous recording, g-force feature in case of an accident and parking motion sensor all built into the unit. All that is required is inserting a 32g SD card in the trunk. I would hope that GM will transfer this tech to the vette. Would be nice to provide a software update for the PDR.
Old 09-20-2016, 10:37 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeekDuff
i see only ONE huge problem with the original idea of activating the record feature to capture the beginning of any event after the event actually happens. As a recording artist, I'm a bit familiar with the gear involved, and to do what's suggested, the camera (with or without audio) would need to be ON at all times,
Which it already is.
AND you need to have a HARDWARE feature to capture
Which it already has.
a continuous loop of perhaps a full minute or 2, that also constantly gets erased with new data in real-time. THEN you could push a button to append that loop to the beginning of a "live' recording, IF you remember to do that.
Which is done now but only starts after you press a button.
BUT, we're not talking a relatively simple bit of software code anymore, because there's simply no way in hell software can do that.
Uh, the hardware is already there. The software is the only technical issue..
So, to make it backwards compatible, you'll need a hardware upgrade in the form of a memory chip installation that doesn't exist at the moment, and t's one that would undoubtedly be too costly for most owners to even consider for the single feature it could enable in the current system. Actually, I can't see anything workable other than a complete replacement of the original unit with the chip enabled one. Not a bad idea for a future piece of factory hardware, but not at all likely to help current owners.

Sorry guys, but that's reality...
...z
Nope. The issue is simply money that GM doesn't want to pay the supplier to make a simple software change.
Old 09-24-2016, 01:06 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

The people saying the software change is simple have no idea what they are talking about. Just meeting the homologation requirements so the feature can be used in multiple countries can be a daunting task. There are times when two countries have exact opposite requirements. In a vehicle that can move across borders the legal issues could be sufficient to make it impossible to design an appropriate software module. Lawyers only tell the engineers what the rules are and the engineers have to design the software/hardware so those rules are met and then test the product to ensure the rules are met. That can make a simple design become costly to design/develop and to maintain in the future. Just submitting the required paperwork can take longer than a year.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To [ANSWERED] PDR Pre-Record and Quick Record Button

Old 09-28-2016, 08:27 AM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

Guys just buy a Nikon key mission 360, Velcro it to your dash and record at will. Better dash cam than you'll ever have with the PDR.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:22 PM
Jedi-Jurist
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 72 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by jvp
Original question is here.
Tadge:

First, I was sorry to hear about your father and wish to express my condolences.

As to the PDR issue, I keep hearing the lawyer excuses, and I have to point out (as a lawyer myself) a few things - 1) pretty much every dash cam on the market starts recording on power and can be set to record with sound. These are probably passing legal muster by having the owner take responsibility through a shrinkwrap license. GM could do the same by having the owner agree to take responsibility for eavesdropping laws and activate auto-dash-cam recording; and 2) again, you could be recording sound on valet mode if the screen would just say "recording in progress" - notice always defeats these statutes.

And please make these backwards compatible. There is no good reason Apple CarPlay can't be backwards compatible. Same with the front cameras. Will you be making the new parameters for the PDR (for MY 2018) backwards compatible?

Thanks!
Old 07-15-2017, 01:15 PM
CP
Team Owner

Received 1,125 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by Jedi-Jurist
As an attorney, let me see if I can help with the legal issue. Have the "continuous recording" be an option you have to go into settings to turn on. Have a disclaimer come up at that time that selecting this option will mean that every time the car is turned on, video and audio will be recorded automatically. Then add a splash screen to the display at every startup that says something like: "Automatic PDR Active - Video and Audio Recording Turned On." If you still feel queasy, add one "OK" button and one "Deactivate" button to press before the screen goes any further.

If you didn't get a similar answer from your own lawyers, I'm available for hire ;-)
And how come I don't get all that legalese to allow the car to record everything I am doing onto the recorder in the black box, hmmmmm?
And that information can actually be used against ME!!!

Quick Reply: [ANSWERED] PDR Pre-Record and Quick Record Button