Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

[ASKED] Track day brake failures and warranty

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 05:19 PM
RS4EVA
Burning Brakes

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by gfacter
In turn 10! I have seen that gravel once or twice, not from brake failure but from trying to enter the corner at 85+. This was in a Miata not a Corvette. I was finding gravel in the chassis years later.
I'm certain I have a few more stones in there too. The brake duct acted like a big scoop
Old 12-10-2016, 02:57 PM
AVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 684 Likes on 272 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Voted

Brakes are one of THE most important safety issues on track. THIS needs to be addressed
Old 12-20-2016, 04:57 PM
yozi
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default ck brake failure

This happened to me as well...upon cooling pedal came back. Off track cooling that is...
Old 12-20-2016, 05:18 PM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by yozi
This happened to me as well...upon cooling pedal came back. Off track cooling that is...
If you lost brakes. That is different than the bleeder issue. You either boiled brake fluid or overused the pads. Most likely a combo of both
Old 12-20-2016, 05:50 PM
yozi
Advanced

Guys, I left a message for Tony explaining the same issue. I also let him know I am an ex-GT race series driver and have put down 1000's of laps in race cars. My dealer said "You are over using the brakes" Lol
Old 12-20-2016, 05:56 PM
yozi
Advanced

Originally Posted by chets ls3
If you lost brakes. That is different than the bleeder issue. You either boiled brake fluid or overused the pads. Most likely a combo of both
Yes,I thought the brake fluid was boiling or as you say a combo, but brake use was appropriate and given I needed to drive it home, far from the edge in driving. Went to the Fellows school and had no issues in three days running at the instructor level, so assumed the carbon package and fluid was truly for the track?
Old 12-20-2016, 06:43 PM
RS4EVA
Burning Brakes

do do you have PDR video?
Old 12-20-2016, 06:56 PM
RS4EVA
Burning Brakes

They are related. I lost brakes due to fluid leaking out, and air getting in, then they boiled.
Old 12-21-2016, 02:36 PM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RS4EVA
They are related. I lost brakes due to fluid leaking out, and air getting in, then they boiled.

Air is not getting into the system when fluid comes out of the calipers. If air was in the system you would have no brakes. Then you would have to use a module to clear the abs module.

I have pushed out fluid out of the bleeders. When I did it only one other case was apparent on the forum. No one knew what was going on. Braking was not affected, I still got slow fade as I pushed the brakes harder and harder. I had motul fluid then onto Castrol srf. These brakes need srf if you go fast simple as that. I boiled motul multiple times.

With srf and hawk dtc 70s I could still fade the brakes and kill a set of pads in 2-3 days.

Back to the bleeders, I got the calipers changed by gm and checked the spec of the bleeders (tightened to spec) pushed fluid again. I think once enough pressure is built up in the caliper the fluid slowly comes out and makes its way through the threads. It basically turned the caliper to crap!

I teflon taped my bleeders and have had 0 issues since. I can assure you when this happens air is not getting into the calipers though.
Old 12-21-2016, 02:38 PM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

Guys, I left a message for Tony explaining the same issue. I also let him know I am an ex-GT race series driver and have put down 1000's of laps in race cars. My dealer said "You are over using the brakes" Lol

It doesn't take a whole lot to overuse the brakes on the z51 car. The z06 brakes which I have now are an improvement but not an ap caliper With strong pads and great fluid, I can still fade the brakes.

It was much more apparent at spring mountain running a street pad and not as high quality fluid.

Last edited by Chets LS3; 12-21-2016 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:20 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,803 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Folks -

This question hasn't been forgotten. Tadge assures me he'll have an answer, but I just can't say when as I don't know.
The following 3 users liked this post by jvp:
FYREANT (01-17-2017), Hamirvette (01-19-2017), Koan (01-20-2017)
Old 01-20-2017, 06:02 PM
Thejoyofdriving
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It doesn't take a whole lot to overuse the brakes on the z51 car. The z06 brakes which I have now are an improvement but not an ap caliper With strong pads and great fluid, I can still fade the brakes.

It was much more apparent at spring mountain running a street pad and not as high quality fluid.
Not to get too off track(no pun intended) but I went to SM I specifically asked them if they were using the OEM pads in the Z51 cars since I noticed the school is sponsored by Hawk. They said that they are definitely not the stock pads and are using a Hawk race compound.

This question gets my vote, very serious safety issue.

Last edited by Thejoyofdriving; 01-20-2017 at 06:02 PM.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:48 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

I expected this question would take sometime to anwser. I assume Tadge would get Brembo involved. I had same problem with my 2017 Z07 at the track with fluid leak from bleeders.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:48 PM
vettpapaw
Melting Slicks

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by RS4EVA
Update: My warranty claim was denied by GM because they couldn't replicate the problem under normal driving conditions.

The advisor said that if more people complain about this issue it will be revisited. Please contact Tony Gerbasi at 866 446-6963 x5911544, or anthony.gerbasi@gm.com

I will keep you guys updated if it progresses.
Abuse-NO SOUP FOR YOU!!
Old 12-02-2020, 07:08 AM
traumamed
Heel & Toe

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts

Resurrecting this old thread to see if anyone had heard of any updates on this. Took my 19 GS (standard GS brakes, not carbon ceramic) to the track for the first time a couple weeks ago and when I was swapping back to street pads, noticed a fairly significant loss of brake fluid from the RF. It was enough that both the inside and outside of the caliper were coated in brake fluid and there was brake fluid sprayed all over the inside of the wheel. Scared me quite a bit tbh because I like to be able to stop! Notably, the outer bleeder screw was missing its cap as though fluid pressure had blown it off. I chalked it up to insufficiently tightening the bleeder screw when I swapped to high-temp fluid. I bled the caliper, put a new cap on the bleeder, and figured I'd keep an eye on it. Well this morning, I took a look at the RF, and sure enough - fluid everywhere again and missing bleeder cap on the outer screw. Car has not been tracked again yet, just light city/highway driving. I have an appointment in a couple days to have this looked at by a dealer as a warranty concern, but if I'm just going to be told to pound sand, I'd rather not waste my time and will address the issue myself.
The following users liked this post:
RS4EVA (12-02-2020)

Quick Reply: [ASKED] Track day brake failures and warranty