Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

[ASKED] Characteristics of Brembo Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 09:53 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts
Default [ASKED] Characteristics of Brembo Calipers

As a track day enthusiast, the quality of my brake system is extremely important both for performance but more importantly safety. 'Brembo' is proudly displayed as the supplier of the Z06 brake calipers (both J56 iron brakes and the Carbon Ceramic Z07 brakes). When Corvette owners contact Brembo, they are immediately told that Brembo only supplies the OEM equipment and has no comment or support for it.

How do the Z06 Brembo brake calipers compare to Brembo's retail offerings? Are the calipers altered or engineered by GM in any way to tailor them specifically to the Z06? Are there any specific differences between the OEM supplied Brembos and the retail versions?
Old 02-07-2017, 10:31 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,803 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by spearfish25
How do the Z06 Brembo brake calipers compare to Brembo's retail offerings? Are the calipers altered or engineered by GM in any way to tailor them specifically to the Z06? Are there any specific differences between the OEM supplied Brembos and the retail versions?
Let's not drag out the "bleeder nipple" thing; I can see right through this one, easy peazy. Also, you're likely asking questions that can't be answered given NDAs, engineering secrets, etc.

So, no. This isn't going anywhere. Sorry.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:04 AM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

Actually no this isn't about bleeder nipples. I wasn't even thinking about it. It's about understanding how OEM equipment differs from retail. Should I go spend $4000 on a Brembo BBK and expect better or worse results when I already have Brembo brakes?

This actually came to mind when I've been shopping for big brake kits and wondering if my OEM Brembos are anything like the retail big brake kit Brembos that one could 'upgrade' to. Do I have Brembo's budget calipers or the best of their technology?

No need for the sarcasm. It's an honest question that I'm happy to clarify the reasoning behind.

Last edited by spearfish25; 02-08-2017 at 07:35 AM.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:40 PM
stab1991
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts

There is a difference in calipers from GM and high end Brembo kits. Our brakes are built for a price on the corvette if you know what I mean. If you get a chance to actually hold and inspect the 2, it's visible. Don't get me wrong, they are good units and better than most cars on the road.
The following users liked this post:
spearfish25 (02-11-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To [ASKED] Characteristics of Brembo Calipers

Quick Reply: [ASKED] Characteristics of Brembo Calipers