Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Any C3 Guys With Rear Compartment Systems?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 12:21 AM
81 Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05
First C3 General Poster!
Default Any C3 Guys With Rear Compartment Systems?

Hey guys,

I have aquired a 72 Corvette, the baby is MINT, perfect really...except for the fact a stock set of 4x6s and an AM/FM isnt quite going to cut it. I used to compete in IASCA Db Drag with my Toyota truck, so you may understand where Im coming from.

Just for the record, I dont want to cut anything in the interior, the car is too mint for that, but I am definitely not opposed to filling up the full rear with a system.

I still am working on the dimensions and design, Ill keep everyone posted, but at the moment Im also looking for suggestions, help, andy info on rear compartment installs.

I have some of the equipment selected:
(2) 4x6 replacements: Polk Audio DB460s, these look good for SQ and I was impressed with the design.
(2) 7" Mid seperates with (2) 1" soft tweeters: Polk Audio DB6750: Again they look very high quality SQ and they should be well loud enough at 7"
(1) Pioneer DEH9600MP head unit. I used to have the 9400, one of the best decks I have every owned.

Now the sub Id like to put in is a RE XXX 12" in a vented box running about 2 cubes. As for how to do that, and what amps I want for it and the components...meh...suggestions???

Thanks guys, sorry for the long post
Old 04-06-2005, 01:23 AM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,706 Likes on 1,668 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

Okay, I'll answer a few questions but then you'll have to explain your avatar to me

I use the 9400 in my C5 also
I know the 4X6"s go in the dash (I've heard great things about Polk) but where do you plan on going with the 7" componets?

Since you have competed in IASAC, I would think you would know how to incorparate a sub box in the the rear. I would also think you would have seen and heard lots of amps. If going for SQ instead of SPL, IMO go with a sealed box and LOTS of power.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:32 AM
81 Vette
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05
First C3 General Poster!

hahaha as Ive told a lot of people who have asked about this avatar before, I like America how I like my women, without bush.

Now thats taken care of, youre right I KNOW of a lot of amps and whatnot but I havent done a DB drag in 2 years, and things change.

As for mounting the subs, hahaha have you SEEN the rear compartment on a 72? Its TINY, the one dimension Ive gotten so far is 11"H 36"W 26"D

Now with that too some of that is covered and some of that isnt...its not a matter of just "dropping" a sub and amp in...its gunna take a major design work.

Just as a note I only drew the concepts for my Toyota, I had a professional installer do all the work so its not like Im an audio guru here.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:35 AM
81 Vette
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05
First C3 General Poster!

Actually its really very easy to overpower a sub in a sealed box, they run far hotter as it takes more power to equal the output of a ported box with less breathability.

I was going to do a vented enlosure but I dont know, I just dont think I have ROOM.

As for the 7" seperates Im going to put them in the back as well, the tweets will be positioned higher in the cab or maybe up front. Space is the issue here. I have crossovers (2) to deal with, 2 amps, a sub, 2 speakers and 2 tweets and approximately 0 space to make it work
Old 04-06-2005, 02:21 AM
snoopdan
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was metered at 147 db in 1996 Waco Autorama with my Fiat X1/9 and two Earthquake Eq15's in an infinate baffle...Not that its a high number or anything, but THATS not having any room...my vette is like 3 times larger

Since you're going with one sub, maybe a big bang for the buck monoblock amp like Concept, Orion, DEI/Viper, or Hifonics. All of them make a monoblock 1000+ power range amp thats decent and affordable. I wish I knew more about RE stuff, ive never owned any, but maybe I will next week, Im needing to purchase a 15" so one of the contenders is a XXX. Although, Adrie is comming out with a 12" tumult, so that maybe worth checking in to, for you even as well.

I dont know what you're going for - SQ or SPL .. I guess now would be the time to decide before you do anything else.

snoopdan
Old 04-06-2005, 02:47 AM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

Okay, don't flame me here because I'm not fimaliar with the interior of a C3 but is it possible to get a mid-bass anywhere up front?

IMO (as well as allot of others) rear speakers are not needed, in fact, they can do more harm than good. Sound should come from the front, just as it does in a live concert.

You have a good point about heat in a sealed box......but....woofers can and will handle more power in a sealed box. The reason is many fold. One is that the supension of the woofer is tightly contolled in a sealed box(which adds to the SQ part). Another reason is a woofer will go into defib below the ports tuning frequency espically if there is not a subsonic filter in the amplifier. That can phyically damage the woofer.
Do some research on some manufacturer's websites, you will find out what I'm saying is true. One huge benift of ported boxes is they typically get louder than a sealed box and of course you are correct when you say to get a sealed box as loud as a ported box, you are pushing a buttload more wattage into that poor sealed box's woofer. I throw this at you too, a ported box is usally much bigger than a sealed box for the same woofer.
So if you haven't purchased the 12" sub yet, you might want to consider a single 10", dual 8"s, or even a single 8". Your interior is super small and a single JL 8W7 with 500 watts rms will more than put out more bass than your main speakers can match with mids and highs.

Let me know about the possibilty of upfront mid-basses, I'll give more of my $.02 (if you want it, I do have a vast knowledge of car audio)

Not to make you hate me more, but I happen to be a huge supporter of our President. I served under his Dad in Desert Shield/Storm
As for women, no bush, a short lawn, hell, she can have a forest growing if she is hot enough
Old 04-06-2005, 03:05 AM
snoopdan
Drifting

Originally Posted by knewblewkorvette
As for women, no bush, a short lawn, hell, she can have a forest growing if she is hot enough

snoopdan
Old 04-06-2005, 03:12 AM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

'23-'24

:o
Old 04-06-2005, 06:56 AM
81 Vette
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05
First C3 General Poster!

That was classy... hahaha aahhh

Knew, Im not going to flame you!! haha I apprecite your input my man, Im not trying to scare you off in any way! I know what youre saying my man, been there before, c3s offer CRAP up front for speakers, the 4x6s are it on my car. I COULD try to fab up a kicker, but Ive never actually been a fan of the kicker for some reason, just doesnt sit well with me. I know sound should come from the front, but in a recent little sketch I made the 7s would be bumping upwards literally right under/behind your head...hmmm I know I can put the tweets further up front, mounting them is never a problem.

Im thinking that the 4x6s and 2 tweets, (its all pretty quality SQ stuff, Im going for an SQL setup, Im a basshead from way back but my days of 82db/w monolithic thumper subs are done.) should be ok given the position of the 7s in relation to the subs. BTW I think Ive settled on the fact I can stick 2 10s in there without much problem. Ive got my eyes set on 2 Audiobahn Pro Comp AWP310Ts.

Here: Im gunna try and stick up this picture I made its very artistic of me, Im gunna try and do a CAD when I have time.

Last edited by 81 Vette; 04-06-2005 at 06:59 AM.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:12 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 81 Vette
I have aquired a 72 Corvette, the baby is MINT, perfect really...except for the fact a stock set of 4x6s and an AM/FM isnt quite going to cut it. ...
Originally Posted by knewblewkorvette
Okay, don't flame me here because I'm not fimaliar with the interior of a C3 but is it possible to get a mid-bass anywhere up front? ...

Let me know about the possibilty of upfront mid-basses, I'll give more of my $.02 (if you want it, I do have a vast knowledge of car audio) ...
C3 to 77
Front Speakers- 5.25 can be put in the doors or kicks. The cavity in the kicks is in the birdcage for 4X6 & is 4" W X 5.5" H X 2.5" D. There is a dash location for 4X6 which works well for a component tweeter.

The only C3 on the forum I have seen w/ speakers in the doors is Bruce (7t2vette) 5.25.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=849748
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1040305

Typically the C3 guys put the mids in the kicks. Al (vettefixr) has pics. here.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1049772

Some have put a single 8 or 10 in the pass. side compartment. The center one works well for an amp. The driver side compartment holds the battery.

Originally Posted by 81 Vette
As for the 7" seperates Im going to put them in the back as well, the tweets will be positioned higher in the cab or maybe up front. Space is the issue here.

...I know sound should come from the front, but in a recent little sketch I made the 7s would be bumping upwards literally right under/behind your head...hmmm I know I can put the tweets further up front, mounting them is never a problem.
If the mids are in the back I would not put the tweets up front. It is possible w/ speakers in back to angle them & work well in a 68-77.

I am a lot more into HP & Performance than car stereo.
My rear speaker setup:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=634468
Old 04-06-2005, 04:18 PM
81 Vette
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05
First C3 General Poster!

Briliant!! I had forgotten about those rather discreet little kick panels up front, you can barely see the darn things, but you can definitely stick a speaker in there

I dont think I will go the route of 5 1/4 just because of the fact I may or may not have to cut things, and Im a wee bit paranoid about cutting things in this 72. Another set of 4x6s would be perfect though, and eliminate my need for an extra set of tweeters.

I still like my idea of putting the 7" right behind and below your head, they are large and loud enough to give you bass along with midrange.

Ima try and post this artsy fartsy pic here now, hopefully the mods have "approved" it.

This will take some explaining.

The compartment is 26" long, the first 13 of which are not covered, the last 13" of which are. So what I am going to do is build a custom enclosure that will run flush with the lip at the front of the compartment and the sides, giving me enough mounting depth for the 7"s.

The last 13" of the compartment have a height of 11.5", so what I am going to do is run an enclosure tide in to the front one, back 13" and up an additional 7.5" giving it a forward, slanting face. This is where I will be able to mount 2 10s and have a ported enclosure measuring 1.4 cubic feet, or .7 cubes each.

I know I will be covering up my little compartment thingies, but the front box will be HINGED to give acces to them

What do you think guys!?!

EDIT: This is not MY interior, just a picture I found of the same model year for reference.

Last edited by 81 Vette; 04-06-2005 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:14 PM
81 Vette
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05
First C3 General Poster!

BUMP

Come on kiddos, dont just point and laugh ahaha help me out :P
Old 04-06-2005, 09:53 PM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

'23-'24

Lots of good info Ganey

Man, that is a small interior.
With the extra info and pics (by the way, good drawing, I'm clueless on how to do something like that on a computer) I would still recommend a simple set-up for SQ. The 4X6"s in the dash run by the HU, at a crossover freq between 80 and 100 Hz. A single 8" or 10" in the rear with a amp crossed over at about those same freqs. I'm thinking those 7" mids behind your head will screw up the sound. Now, if you can squeak those 7" mids in with custom kicks (save the orignal kick panels to restore back to OEM if need be), that would be
Old 04-07-2005, 01:53 AM
81 Vette
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05
First C3 General Poster!

Yea I hear what youre saying my man, but I dont like simple installs hahaha. You should see the engine Im doing for this car .

The rear will still be funtional, the T-top storage thing is up above if Im not mistake, so I can still stick those in, and to get at the battery, the front 13 inch section will be hinged.

Anyhow, Im still pondering those 7"s, I mean I dont think there will be any frequency canceling, the bass from the very rear is omni-directional and those 7"s can be crossed at about 80hz so there will be clear distinction between the low bass, the midbass coming from the 7s and then the highs up front.

Hmmm Im definitely not up to par on what I know about sound imaging and staging...I dont think the 7s will sound funky, you do, I think Im going to take this question to a custom audio forum.

You guys have been VERY helpful thusfar, much appreciated so far!!
Old 04-07-2005, 02:57 AM
snoopdan
Drifting

Unfortunately, I have absolutely no experience with a C3 interior. But the placement of those 7's reminds me of what GM tried to do in the fiero's by putting the speakers in the seat right behind the ears. That had to be the most annoying experince ive had, sitting in one of those. It was like sitting in a pair of headphones Anything you can do to keep those mids up in front of you, the better. But I guess even the newer C5/C6 isnt all that much different, with the rear speakers right behind you, so maybe it'll sound OK. I say go for it, try it out. I wouldnt mount anything into stone until you have it they way you want it to sound. Perhaps some componant 1" or 3/4" tweeters could be placed on the pylons, that would help. Subs are another monster altogether. I remember seeing some guy with two 15"s in the back of a C3, but I have no idea what he had to do to get them in there, and that was years ago, so I have no idea what type of speakers they were. My guess would be maybe four 8" drivers, or maybe even 4 slimline 10" drivers, such as the Phase Linear Allante, or similar ones offered by Earthquake, Lanzar, Eton, Acoustic Ellegance, and Pioneer. I remember a CA&E article online about three of these slimline subs, and they mostly said they were ok in loudness, considering what they were, and that they were pretty equal across the board in quality and output.

Just throwing out some ideas.

snoopdan
Old 04-07-2005, 05:32 PM
81 Vette
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05
First C3 General Poster!

Actually the Audiobahns that I have picked out will decently shallow mount and are some of the most efficient I have seen on the market, so Im not unhappy with sticking 2 10s in there, Im also going to be running only around 600w to them, Its a ported enclosure or else Ida gone with upwards of 750.

Im pondering those 7"s on another forum, Ill see what kinda feedback I get and then Ill make my final judgement.

So you do think I should place those tweets on the support column thing? I dont know if you want a 1"er blasting 10K hz frequencies right into your ear....
Old 04-07-2005, 10:03 PM
snoopdan
Drifting

Ever thought you might be putting to much thought into this? Just get the tweeters hooked up, and some double sided foam tape, and move the tweeters around for best imaging for your tastes. If you need a test cd, I can provide you one that I have zipped up.

snoopdan

Get notified of new replies

To Any C3 Guys With Rear Compartment Systems?

Old 04-07-2005, 11:30 PM
81 Vette
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05
First C3 General Poster!

too much thought into a stereo system.....yea thats possible.... thats what I get for not having my car yet

actually Id really appreciate a new test CD, my old IASCA jobber is way old and a bit scratchy.

After some pondering, the sound stage will be set right at my ear level...given the position of the 7"s, the tweets, and some proper fading, It will be a fairly neutral situation, neither very forward or backwards. I think Im going to stick with my design as I currently have it.

I appreciate all the help and thought though, hahaha you thought this was painful just wait till I actually get the car and start BUILDING the GD thing .
Old 04-08-2005, 02:08 PM
'71vert
Instructor

Old 04-08-2005, 02:42 PM
Motor City Vette
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

81 Vette,
Keep us updated on what you come up with. I have a '70 vert and with the top down, there's even less space in the vert. Plus, with the soft-top folded in the rear it kinda' "muffles" the sound (if your speakers are behind the soft-top).

71vert,
Can you provide more details about your setup (e.g. speakers, dimensions, etc.)?

Thanks.

Oh yeah, one other thing...VIVA BUSH!!!
Just had to get that one in since I'm a big W supporter.

Quick Reply: Any C3 Guys With Rear Compartment Systems?