Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old 03-25-2015, 01:48 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

C5 and general audio FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 03:11 AM
03WhiteConv
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Following the procedure in post #9 worked fine. The only thing I would add is to be sure there are no CDs in the magazine in the trunk when you do it. If there are CD's in there, the radio gets confused. Probably because there can only be one disc 1 at a time and the iPod/MP3 Aux input is consuming that resource.

Once I removed the CD's (I was experimenting) the reset worked fine.

Originally Posted by 03WhiteConv
Thanks,

This procedure was my next step, I was just hoping to not tear it all out again...Much appreciated, I'll post the results.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:53 AM
mpushkal
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removed CD changer / want RCA or ⅛ input

I took out my changer. Can I just tap from the factory cd changer plug to install an RCA or ⅛ input?

Originally Posted by markcz
C5 Radio Schematics (click HERE for C6)
Click on the link, then right click/save as to copy it to your computer.

Vert Power Antenna

Coupe Antenna Module

BOSE prints

Radio Schematics 1/4 Radio, Power, Changer

Radio Schematics 2/4 RAP Controlled 12v Switched Power Locations

Radio Schematics 3/4 Bose Signal Processor

Radio Schematics 4/4 Speakers

Base NON-BOSE prints

Radio/Power

Speakers

R.A.P. (Good Luck!)

C5 Retained Accessory Power (1 of 2)

C5 Retained Accessory Power (2 of 2)

Plug Pin-Outs:

Radio Plugs (1 of 6) Bose Signal Processor

Radio Plugs (2 of 6) Bose Signal Processor (cont), Coupe Antenna Module

Radio Plugs (3 of 6) Radio C1 & C2

Radio Plugs (4 of 6) Radio C3 & C4, Vert Antenna Module (NOTE: If you have a pink wire instead of dark green, verify voltage before using it for anything. It may only be 5v.)

Radio Plugs (5 of 6) Changer, Left Speakers

Radio Plugs (6 of 6) Right Speakers

Wire Size Conversions
The GM schematics show wire sizes in the metric units of square mm, since we use AWG gauge sizes....

mm2 = AWG Size
0.22 = 24
0.35 = 22
0.5 = 20
0.8 = 18
1.0 = 16
2.0 = 14
3.0 = 12
5.0 = 10
8.0 = 8
13.0 = 6
19.0 = 4
32.0 = 2
50.0 = 1/0

....and a few more links that may help:

Basic Car Audio Electronics --- This site starts out explaining electrons, voltage, current, etc... and takes you all the way through building your own crossovers and enclosures.

AOEM kits for adding an amp to your stock radio.

ROEM kits for keeping the amps but changing the HU.

Keeping your aftermarket amp or HU powered with Retained Accessory Power (RAP)

This will allow your aftermarket amps to stay on after you turn off the car, just like the stock radio does.

If you still have the stock HU installed you can tap into the RAP circuit under the IP fuse box. If you have an aftermarket HU you'll need to buy either an Accessory Valet or SoundGate GMACC or Peripheral Electronics GMRAP, or wire up some relays using this schematic.

RAP for an amp WITH the stock HU still installed:
Pull up the fuse box (two or three screws and a plastic clip), on the grey connector (C2) pins E10 and F10 (both orange, I used F10 since it was on the bottom row and easier to get at) supply 12V RAP power to the stock radio amps. Even if you have a new amp installed, the radio will still be telling RAP to stay energized. Use something like this to supply an automotive relay that you can connect to your "remote" wire on the amp.

Using this diagram as a guide:
-run the C2/F10 wire tap to pin 86
-connect pin 85 to a ground
-tap into your +12V source going to the amp and connect it to pin 87
-connect your "remote trigger" amp wire to pin 30

The amp will be powered through the wire you're using now, but it will be triggered from the relay which is pulled in whenever the radio is on (even after the car is turned off and Retained Accessory Power is still on).

Trouble getting your stock head unit to recognize GM10-Aux?

Sometimes if you loose power to the radio (dead/disconnected battery), or unplug the GM10-Aux converter, your stock head unit may not want to go to or stay on "Disc 1 Track 1" like it should. After getting some advice from other forum members I put thogther this little procedure that has worked for me every time so far:

-unplug GM10-Aux from Cor-Har changer cable
-let it sit overnight (a few hours at least)
-with car still off, plug in GM10-Aux
-let it sit for at least 10 minutes
-turn on car & radio, select changer on radio
-if it works (Disc 1 Track 1) you're done
-if it doesn't work, leave car running but turn off radio
-unplug GM10-Aux, then reconnect it
-turn on radio, it should work

Adding an additional Aux Input if you already have a CD Changer

There is a link above to a .pdf that shows how to tap into your existing CD Changer wires in order to add an additional aux audio input. That link hasn't been working lately, so click here to view that .pdf as a .jpg (of course, that assumes that 'My Corvette Photos' is working )

FYI: If you use the C2/F10 RAP powered wire from my spiel above to pull in the relay, then you won't have to worry about turning off the switch when you get out of the car in order to prevent a drain on your battery.

A POSSIBLE fix to bad radio reception with an AFTERMARKET HU in a coupe

The coupe uses an amplified module to combine the windshield and hatch antenna leads before they connect to the HU. That module is powered by both 12V and 5V from the stock HU, the 12V is constant and the 5V is only present when the radio is playing. Aftermarket radios only supply the module with the 12V signal, click here and scroll down to post #4 to see how you can once again power your antenna module amplifier.

DIY Sub Box plans for CENTER TUB in C5

CLICK HERE for pdf

Old 07-05-2014, 08:56 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by mpushkal
I took out my changer. Can I just tap from the factory cd changer plug to install an RCA or ⅛ input?
Not if you took out the changer

Instructions for aux in mod are in the text you quoted, but the changer needs to be installed and running for that to work. You'd be running the changer, but cutting the wires that feed the changer audio to the radio to send in your aux input source instead. If you remove the changer the radio won't 'play' it, so you can't send the audio in on those wires.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:16 AM
captaingeek
Instructor

There should be a way to hack the parts needed for the audio input and get rid of the disc changer. Let's face it those things are worthless at this point.

Not if you took out the changer

Instructions for aux in mod are in the text you quoted, but the changer needs to be installed and running for that to work. You'd be running the changer, but cutting the wires that feed the changer audio to the radio to send in your aux input source instead. If you remove the changer the radio won't 'play' it, so you can't send the audio in on those wires.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:31 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by captaingeek
There should be a way to hack the parts needed for the audio input and get rid of the disc changer. Let's face it those things are worthless at this point.
Buy a GM10-Aux
Old 07-18-2014, 12:19 PM
captaingeek
Instructor

How much are those?

Buy a GM10-Aux
Old 07-18-2014, 08:33 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

A google search only came up with them at Amazon for $105. The GM10-Aux will only give you RCA inputs.

There are other adapters available that can do the same thing or even control a dockable ipod directly from the stock radio.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:11 AM
captaingeek
Instructor

That kinda money I can get a new head unit...
Old 07-19-2014, 07:02 PM
captaingeek
Instructor

[QUOTE][/Adding an additional Aux Input if you already have a CD Changer

There is a link above to a .pdf that shows how to tap into your existing CD Changer wires in order to add an additional aux audio input. That link hasn't been working lately, so click here to view that .pdf as a .jpg (of course, that assumes that 'My Corvette Photos' is working )

FYI: If you use the C2/F10 RAP powered wire from my spiel above to pull in the relay, then you won't have to worry about turning off the switch when you get out of the car in order to prevent a drain on your battery.
QUOTE]

Whats with the relay and the toggle switch? is that required? I don't want to have to make sure to hit some switch every time I get out of the car.

Whats the C2/F10 RAP?
Old 07-19-2014, 07:43 PM
captaingeek
Instructor

Is there a thread for "C5 Stock Stereo Removal"?
Old 07-19-2014, 09:56 PM
captaingeek
Instructor

Looking at this diagram, could I theoretically cut the audio cable leaving the shield intact and wire in a audio cable?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/phot...aux_in_mod.jpg
Old 07-20-2014, 03:13 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Whats with the relay and the toggle switch? is that required? I don't want to have to make sure to hit some switch every time I get out of the car.

Whats the C2/F10 RAP?
The C2/F10 power source is only hot when the radio is on. If you use a relay for the changer audio splice mod you can use RAP power as the source to your toggle switch instead of B+.

However, you don't HAVE to use a relay. It will work the same if you buy a 4PDT switch (like this one) or correctly wire in an 1/8" headphone jack (like in this thread).

I guess you don't even HAVE to put in any switch at all. If you're sure you won't ever want to listen to your CD changer again you can just wire the new input source directly to the radio side of the spliced wires.

Looking at this diagram, could I theoretically cut the audio cable leaving the shield intact and wire in a audio cable?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/phot...aux_in_mod.jpg
The shield wire wouldn't affect the audio source, but you may get some interference. I would suggest experimenting with it connected or not to see what sounds best.

Is there a thread for "C5 Stock Stereo Removal"?
Best I've seen so far are HERE, just stop at step 4 and unscrew the radio, but you don't need to pull the radio for the aux in mod since the wires are in the passenger footwell
Old 07-20-2014, 12:32 PM
captaingeek
Instructor

Thanks!

I couldn't get it to work.

Does the changer need to be plugged in for this to work?

My disk changer seems to be busted. Detects that it's there and try to move the disk around but eventually just says err.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:05 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Does the changer need to be plugged in for this to work?
YES! Changer needs to be playing for the radio to stay on that audio input.

My disk changer seems to be busted. Detects that it's there and try to move the disk around but eventually just says err.
Try it with just 1 disk in the first slot. If that doesn't work, you'd need to buy one of the other adapters from the link a few posts back.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:49 PM
Dukenukemx
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm trying to wrap my head around this Bose crap in my C5. I'm looking to upgrade my head unit and speakers, but I'm confused what I need. I found http://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-2004-CORVETTE-CAR-STEREO-RADIO-DASH-INSTALLATION-TRIM-KIT-W-BOSE-ITERFACE-/360771123500?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53ffa2792c&vxp=mtr but not sure if that's the proper route to take. Will this be able to control the power antenna and CD changer? Not that I've used CDs in years but still want it working.

Also does each speaker have it's own AMP? I see people throwing those on their speakers like this link.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:07 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

If you're changing out EVERYTHING, then all you need from the car is power. B+ and switched power are in the footwell, so all you'd need to buy is the mounting plate for $10 and an antenna adapter.

If you want to keep the stock speakers completely functional, then you need an adapter. Better deals HERE, and you can get help with the install if you need it.
Old 11-01-2014, 01:18 AM
Dukenukemx
Instructor

For now I'm changing just the radio, but I do eventually want to change the speakers. What I'm aiming for is minimal need to rewire everything while being able to get the best sound. Still wondering what's the deal with those amp looking devices thrown on the door speakers. Do they amplify the door speaker and rear speaker or just the door?

Get notified of new replies

To C5 and general audio FAQ

Old 11-01-2014, 03:10 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Start with the ROEM kit to keep stock speakers, then you can add things as you want to

The rear speakers and the 3.5" in the doors are normal 4ohm speakers that are powered by the radio internal amp after the signal gets modified by the bose processor.

The door subs are fed a line-level signal by the Bose processor that they amplify with their attached amps.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:21 AM
Dukenukemx
Instructor

Start with the ROEM kit to keep stock speakers, then you can add things as you want to

The rear speakers and the 3.5" in the doors are normal 4ohm speakers that are powered by the radio internal amp after the signal gets modified by the bose processor.

The door subs are fed a line-level signal by the Bose processor that they amplify with their attached amps.
Thanks, I was wondering how that all worked.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:09 PM
Andy Boyuka
Intermediate

Default Aux button not responding

First off, this a great sight. I so amazed what I can get resolved here.

I have a 2001 coupe,the other day I changed some CDs and now when I hit the aux button ,nothing happens. All the CDs are in correctly. I reset the unit and nothing. The unit loads.the single in the radio works. All I can think of is the button. Any suggestions? Thanks

Quick Reply: C5 and general audio FAQ