Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

C4 Radio Issues (non-Bose)

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2021, 09:58 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Default C4 Radio Issues (non-Bose)

Just picked up a nice ‘95 with the base (non-Bose) stereo. The front speakers put out almost no sound (when I set fader to “full front” there is a faint tinny/distorted sound coming out.)

I’ve tested with new speakers so they are not the problem. Am I more likely looking to replace the head unit or the “receiver/amp” [the box behind the passenger seat]? Looks like the amp is tough to get out of the little area back there. I have removed a head unit from a Bose in my '93 about a decade ago and as I remember that was pretty easy.

I’m only keeping the car for 5 months or so so I’m not looking to replace/upgrade the stock unit. Just want something halfway listenable in the interim.

Alternate "super easy" approach -- Are there replacement 6X9 2 or 3-way speakers that would fit in place of the stock rear speakers? I could just set the fader to full rear and at least get the full sound range. I understand with this approach I cannot turn the radio very loud as modern speakers are 4 ohm vs. 10 ohm. I am incompetent with wiring so I will not bother putting capacitors in the way or try to wire multiple speakers to "fool" the radio.

Thanks in advance for your advice...
Old 05-12-2021, 12:58 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,756 Likes on 1,168 Posts

Don't know anything about the C4's myself, I suggest you also post this in the C4 forum, you might have better luck there. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...discussion-34/ Also if you determine what the issue is, you could probably find good used components on eBay or in the Parts For Sale/Wanted section of the C4 forum. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ale-wanted-55/

Last edited by madsonp; 05-12-2021 at 01:01 AM.
Old 05-12-2021, 08:43 AM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks. I first posted in C4 Forum with no responses to date...
Old 05-21-2021, 11:23 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Bump --

Yesterday I replaced the head unit -- still no improvement. This is weird -- I cannot imagine why the receiver/amp would be the problem; I'd expect it to just pump out left and right channel, with the head unit distributing front to back. But, maybe that is not how they work?
Old 05-22-2021, 12:39 AM
VinceC5
Melting Slicks

Received 367 Likes on 282 Posts

Default C4 Audio FAQ

Info from there:

"Stock Delco:

This is not a system that will cause your heart to stop in pure sound quality, but it does hold up better than the Bose system!

The stock system uses no external amps, has a cassette player ONLY. I have been doing some digging - reading the Helms, actually - and I am ready to say - the Delco Bose CD head unit WILL work in place of the stock Delco head. The head feeds data to the receiver module, the receiver either sends data to the speakers, or, to the Bose amps.

The speakers are 5x7 in the front and 6x9 in back.

You can update this system in stages. Head unit, speakers, whatever. The impedance isn't an issue here."

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Radio Issues (non-Bose)

Quick Reply: C4 Radio Issues (non-Bose)